“Overrated steak house”

Double Nickel Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Double Nickel Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 588 Restaurants in Lubbock
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 50th
Lubbock, Texas
“Overrated steak house”
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

I ordered sea bass a $35 plate and couldn't eat it. The fish was undercooked, the asparagus was so tough I couldn't cut it with a knife, and the rice was cold. If you want an upscale steak house that has excellent food go to Las Brisas.

1 Thank fearless1941

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Service, Not sure it's a High-End Steakhouse But Great Anyhow!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I really like the idea of eating at a female-owned steakhouse - it looks like an old bordello in the Wild West, complete with mirrors, red cloth, blinged out chandeliers, a really nice change from the old school male smoking room steakhouse! This was a great touch and feel. The service was impeccable, which is what you would expect from a high end steakhouse, and that was expected and lovely, but the presentation was not that of a high-end steakhouse so it left me confused. People come here far and wide for the owner's famous fried cheese - and it's worth it - it's pretty amazing! The steak was really well cooked but the presentation is not that of a high-end steakhouse. The sides were on the same plate, which is something more homemade and hometown than a 5-star, which was actually a great difference from the usual thing, not too much food and good quality, just a surpise since I am so used to be served a certain way. I would recommend this steakhouse if anything for the experience!

Kuching, Malaysia
“Great steakhouse”
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

My colleagues had brought a group of us to a great steak dinner. My filet mignon came out the well I wanted it - medium rare. The waiter was also good enough to warn me that it was going to be redder in the middle and whether I was ok with that. Honestly, it came out well and the quality of the steak was superb. It was juicy and yet tender. I was amused by the waiters lighting up the steak, asking us to cut it up to check if the quality was to our liking. It's a nice show.

Lubbock, Texas
“Great food and experience”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Went on a date with my husband, and we both enjoyed the food and the experience of dining here. It was a little dark in the restaurant, but you adjust to it. Great food and drinks. Pricey, but worth it for those special dates.

Visited November 2012
Ottawa, Illinois
“Amazing White Tablecloth Experience”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Amazing white table cloth restaurant. Colleague and I went here on recommendation of another colleague living in the area. So glad we did. Upon walking in, the old saloon style dark wood and reds hit you as you may feel like you have stepped back in time. The hostesses were able to seat us right away without the dinner crowd yet arrived. Full attention to detail here, from spotless wine glasses (inspected as they are put on the tables) to the presentation of food. The simplicity of the table struck me right away, besides the setting for each person, there was a water glass and a wine glass…but only the salt and pepper remained. No candles, no over the top arrangement, just the salt and pepper. Our server, Steve, was exceptionally well versed in the food as we asked and he answered. Upon hearing we were from out of town, he gave us the spiel over the menu and the story of the restaurant. We were warned that it was a $50 – 60/person dinner and there was no getting around that. Bread was brought out with our salads. It wasn’t more than a few minutes later for our steaks. Hand cut from the finest pieces of meat around. 12 oz Ribeye was perfectly cooked, sealing in all the flavor with a melt in your mouth texture. Asparagus was some of the biggest stalks I have ever seen, lightly salted but grilled to perfection ( the only disappointment there was only 4 stalks). Whipped potatoes were light and fluffy. Then there was this thing….what I thought looked like a fried breadstick…was actually fried cheese! Can we all say yum! We had to ask Steve about the fried cheese, like what is the story with this. He gave us a laugh then proceeded to tell us that the owner also had a burger joint down by Texas Tech campus and that was the big deal there. More fried cheese please!
We motioned for the manager to tell him what a great place this was and how the attention to detail was exquisite. Lamar agreed, was very grateful, and we discussed the burger place in town a little more. He also helps out there. We went the next day for lunch (Spanky’s).
Overall, anyone who wants an amazing steak, great atmosphere with a separate full bar and space for private parties, this IS the place in Lubbock.

• Visited June 2013