“Lubbock's absolute best”

Double Nickel Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Double Nickel Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 619 Restaurants in Lubbock
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 50th
Reviewed 20 February 2007

The best special occasion restaurant I've ever been to.
Great atmosphere!
Friendly, knowledgeable waitstaff!
Steak doesn't get any better than this!

1  Thank Lemondropy'all

Reviewed 29 January 2007

Our reservations on Saturday night were for 8:00 p.m. We arrived to find a slew of people waiting - not a good sign since we had tried to go to both the Outback and Texas Land and Cattle the night before without ressies and were told of the hour and a half waits at 9:00 p.m.). Apparently, the restaurant was swamped and their table management was pretty poor. The hostesses repeatedly apologized, though, and even bused the tables themselves to get people with reservations seated. We waited about 20 minutes.

We must have sat at the same table one of the previous posters did - we had a burned out spot on the vnyl tablecloth as well. The service was pleasant but extremely uneven. We waited for water refills for 15 minutes and could never catch anyone's eye. The appetizers did not come out together. The waitress did not seem to be all that familiar with the menu and her presentation of specials, etc. began after she started taking our orders.

The food was all right but not great. We were warned that the restaurant undercooked the meats from the standard. We should have believed her. The hubby sent his steak au poivre back for another run at the grill. We should have sent our filets as well. I felt that the steaks were over-peppered. The set ups were incorrect - instead of baked potatoes, we got the "home style" set up of whipped potatoes. The chocolate mousse was very good and the wine that we selected was extremely good.

I don't think we'll be back. The ambience was interesting but not classy and the restrooms needed a good scrubbing.

2  Thank johoallen
Reviewed 11 January 2007

We had a pleasant evening at Double Nickel, but I have to agree with a previous post--the tablecovers were hideous for a restaurant of that caliber! The portion on my table had a 'burnt' out circle--something hot had obviously been placed there--really, invest a few more dollars and get white linen tablecloths! The plates and bowls did seem like they should be at one of our new Asian buffets, but the ambiance was very nice and the waitstaff did a great job tending to us. My husband's steak was ordered medium rare, he really liked the flavor, however he thought it was a bit 'chewy'. My chicken was a bit overcooked, the vegetables and salad were very tasty. This place is nice and cozy but I'd prefer the 50 Yard Line over the Double Nickel.

Reviewed 4 October 2006

I stopped in one night after a Texas Tech football game (I'm an alum now living in Florida). Supposedly this restaurant patterns itself after Del Frisco's (we have one of those in Orlando so I specifically chose this restaurant when planning my trip). I realize I was arriving late (they stop serving at 10pm) since I had called ahead to confirm. When I walked in at 9:40pm there was no one at the maitre d' station, but I waited in that area for a while to signal my intention to eat dinner. Finally I migrated over to the bar when no one approached me; again no acknowlegment from the staff (mostly young guys who were preoccupied with the Notre Dame - Michigan State game on the bar TV). After a good ten minutes (quite a long time for a service establishment) I left and went to Abuelo's, a Mexican restaurant with fantastic margarita's and tortilla soup, among other things.

Maybe they are doing well enough that they don't need to make exceptions (or even acknowlege their guests) on especially busy weekends. However, if you don't want to bother with latecomers, then say so (or lock the doors or something).

2  Thank basaintl
Reviewed 24 April 2006

Finally, a high quality, upscale steak house in Lubbock. Great service, excellent food, great wine list ... I have yet to have anything but a nice experience at the Double Nickel.

2  Thank Q8694WXmarkg