“Very comfortable, very convenient” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Lufkin
Livingston, TX
“Very comfortable, very convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I was attending a conference at nearby Angelina College and this was within minutes of the conference site. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast supplied was adequate, but not particularly good. The pool was closed due to problems. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

The only issue was children running down the halls banging on doors and phoning random rooms. I called the front desk and they were able to get it stopped.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

The check in was easy and quick. The rooms were gorgeous and a great size. The hotel was very clean and had great amenities. The pool and spa were clean and well maintained. The fitness room was handy to have and breakfast offered a large variety. The hotel far exceeded my expectations for the price. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Kimberly R
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

We had a friend that lived in the town we visited check the hotel and they showed her a room that must be the "showroom". Because what we got was NOT anything like what she described. We got Old and tired. Rooms were completely unacceptable. We checked in late and didn't look too close. Our mistake but we had people waiting on us for dinner elsewhere. While we were getting ready to go to dinner we noticed the toilet was broken. Filling over and over again. We told the desk and they said they had NO MAINTENANCE person there at ALL. My husband ended up fixing the toilet. The room was Non-Smoking, but didn't smell fresh. There was mold around the tub and you could tell they had tried to caulk over it. The vent fan in the bathroom was broken.
The pull out bed/couch was FILTHY. We didn't notice until my husband was already in bed. The bed was covered in peanuts, peanut hulls, and what appeared to be chocolate, and food. I didn't sniff the brown stuff. When I went to the front desk to tell them the person just blinked at me and didn't know what to do. (she was 20 yo) I told her my husband had a very early meeting and asked if they could just open the adjoining room and let one adult and a child go sleep in there as my husband was already in bed asleep. She said NO, that she might get in trouble. She agreed that the photos I took with my camera of the food and unknown brown gunk were really gross. Just not really her problem.

She finally agreed to let us move rooms.It sure was not her idea, and she was too worried about getting in trouble to let us use the other Empty room. She then told my 12 year old daughter how afraid she was because she worked there alone at night. The hotel wouldn't pay for two people to work at night. And that the police had been in to show her photos of the people who robbed the hotel directly across the street. And how frightened she was. OH MY GOD! REALLY? Sure made us feel safe....I guess the special bedtime story for my child was a bonus.

So at 12:30 a.m. we were packing up 3 kids and 2 adults to move to another room. Again I asked for a room facing the forest. We got a even smellier room facing directly into the 5' deep section of the pool. I could count the people in the pool, and tell you what they were wearing.

Room #2, Dirty. Other people's food wrappers still under the bed. Did they change the bedding? If they had they would have seen the juice box wrappers. We were told they couldn't give us an extra pillow. It was against their policies. And they didn't want to give us new bedding for the pull out bed. This is after I explained that my 3 daughters and I were EXTREMELY allergic to all nut products. And the blankets were on the bed covered with Peanuts, Nut shells, and who knows what else. We carry EPI-Pens so that when our throats close we have enough time until the ambulance gets there to save our lives. If my daughter with a sleeping disorder would have taken her medication and fell asleep on that bed, she might have DIED IN HER SLEEP> I pray that we would have heard her choking from the allergic reaction to the whole peanuts, peanut hulls, and other foods all over the mattress. The clerk was very unconcerned.

She finally gave us the crunchiest plastic blankets I have ever seen in my life. I think they might have melted them out of plastic milk cartons themselves. Homeless people would have said no thanks. Sure we could have an extra towel. And then she hands me one with what looked like blood stains on it. When I handed it RIGHT BACK she said: "oh". AND then literally told me to walk around the corner to the housekeeping door. The attendant literally had the door open to the nastiest housekeeping room I have ever seen. And then she looked in the DRYER to see if they had a dry towel!! They didn't. She would have some ready for us when they were dry. Ewww.

The next pull out bed in the couch was pure springs. The mattress fell through the couch/frame. We thought about putting it on the floor. It was so bad that my daughter ended up sleeping on the small 2 cushion couch with the coffee table pushed up against it so she wouldn't fall on the floor.

The air-conditioner was like a really light fan, and just pushed the humidity around a little bit. The bathroom fan was also not working at all. It made the bathrooms slippery and dangerous.

Since we were up until 1:30am trying to get everyone back to bed we were late getting showers. By 1pm all of the housekeeping staff were gone. So day 2, no clean towels for us.No garbage removal, no toilet paper, no services what so ever. Again we were back begging for towels at the front desk. And we were chastised for not being ready for housekeeping when they came by.

The highlight of our stay was when one of my daughters got water on the floor from the shower curtain that was too small. It turned the floor into a skating rink. Good thing we had those wet towels from the previous day. Or we wouldn't have been able to walk on the floor. And the best is yet to come.

While wiping up her water I pushed the towel with my foot past the very bottom of the toilet where some water had ran. I thought there was rust along the bottom of the toilet where it touches the tile. NOPE, it was FECES. Someone else's FECES that were not cleaned up properly, and I got to smear along the floor by the toilet. Disgusting, and Dangerous. GERMS and BACTERIA FOR FREE!

Looking out our window to see the cigarette butts in the gutter, and people swimming was an amazing view. It surprises me since I heard the attendant say that they had 40 something empty rooms the first night and 50 something empty rooms the next night. That they couldn't take our request for a room facing the trees. When I made a comment about it the next morning the desk clerk didn't believe me that there even was a room that looked directly into the pool.

The pool area was also a real treat. Black slime on the floor. 4 small towels clean on the rack. The pools were cloudy, and the hot tub, oh the hot tub. I wish I had seen it before my daughter got into it. Really taken a good look. Because I would have seen the clumps of hair and black gunk in the bottom and told her not to put a pinkie toe in it. If they don't have ear infections by the end of the week I will be shocked. I made them get out immediately and go back to the room and take a shower.

Don't pay in cash like we did. They gave us a reduced rate. They took $20.00 off our ENTIRE STAY. Call the 1-800 comfort Inn number and need help? There is no one there 24/7. Choice hotel people-beware if you have a problem, because it's up to the manager if they do anything. Don't look for help from the manager, or corporate. You are at the will of the manager at the time. IF she thought food in the beds, no housekeeping, having to fix your own toilet, clean up the previous person's fecal matter, wait for towels to dry, get a crappy dirty room, get a scary bedtime story from staff for your young children, sleep on springs covered in ickky stuff, and complain, beg, and ask over and over for help this is your place.

Should we have known when the 3 hotels in the same parking lot were packed and the Comfort Suites was empty that there might be a problem? Yes. But the staff person said there was no one there because they were expecting a lot of late night check in's because of a baseball game.

Will I EVER stay at a Comfort Suites again? Probably Not. Will I stay knowing that the Choice Hotel group does not have a corporate 24 hour person to help you when you really need one? Nope. I wish I could go back and pay with my credit card. If I hadn't seen un-authorized charges on my credit card I used to make my reservation and couldn't get a new one the same day I would be calling VISA and telling them NOT TO PAY!

If you don't look too close to see that it's clean, don't mind old aged facilities, dirty pool, no name tags on anyone, clerks were unhelpful, and if there is a problem don't expect the young people without a manager that they can call to help you.

You know that old story about frogs put in a pot filled with cool water, and they turn up the heat slowly so that they frogs don't know something is really bad until they are boiled? That is exactly what our stay was like. I can deal with one thing.....I can deal with 2 things,.....17 things are you kidding me?????

When you finally get through to Choice Hotel's customer service, they can't even file your complaint until AFTER you check out. So pay your bill folks, and if you are at the mercy of the person who knew about the problems all along. Because you told 5 different clerks about the same problems. And five different clerks told the manager. And she doesn't care. BAD BAD BAD

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank bubbas3girls

Travellers are raving about these Lufkin hotels

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

Only had an over night stay but staff was real nice. I really liked that the pool was inside so even though it was cold outside my kids could still swim. Hotel is surrounded by other hotels but the room we stayed in looked out to the woods so it felt a little serene. Breakfast was ok. Only one waffle maker and the line was about 10 people long so couldn't get our waffle. No biggie on that. Just would be nice to have more than one. Overall it was a nice stay and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out over woods instead of parking lot.