“Excellent service and a relaxing stay”
Review of Gage Hotel

Gage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Marathon
Waxahachie, Texas
“Excellent service and a relaxing stay”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just got done with a trip through big bend including a 5 day hike. We were dirty and tired and driving out of the national park we stumbled on to this historic and beautiful place. The staff was very accommodating, rooms were reasonably priced, and they got us settled in no time. We relaxed with drinks at 12 Gage and enjoyed an excellent dinner. Hopefully we can stay again soon and would recommend this hotel to any one.

Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Sully9821

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Austin,tx
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Gage was the first stop on our Big Bend travel odyssey. I have spent many nights in hotels in my life. I can say unequivocally, that this is the most elaborate restoration of a hotel, I have ever seen at this price point. All of the walls are Venetian plastered and glazed, to look almost like mother of pearl. The shower fixtures are first rate. The patio rooms have small fireplaces. The soaps and amenities rival those at a Ritz-Carlton. There are two bathrobes provided in the room. Like the rooms, the common areas are beautifully decorated. There is museum quality art throughout the hotel; for that matter, there are natural history museum quality displays in the hotel and the bar. If you want to experience a $600 or more /night quality hotel for less than a third of
the cost this is the place to go. Of course the staff, house keeping and maintenance were also first rate.

Room Tip: Only one small issue. If you are sensitive to A/C noise, specify that you do not want room 17. I wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Skanee, Michigan
Reviewed 9 May 2014

When arriving in Marathon, Texas, I was not expecting to find such a high quality hotel and a high-quality restaurant ... and wonderful & helpful people living and working in the area.

The Gage Hotel is a very convenient place to stay if you plan to visit Big Bend National Park. I found the quality of the food and service at the 12 Gage restaurant was excellent ... or maybe I was just very tired following a full day of hiking in the Big Bend National Park.

Room Tip: The only reason I did not list sleep quality as excellent is that a railroad for both cargo and pass...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Wife and I visited The Gage Hotel a couple weeks ago as a place to stay close to Big Bend NP, TX. We rolled into Marathon TX, the gateway to Big Bend, and The Gage was the only game in town with a room so we took it. A little pricy for us at $130 but it is a nice historic hotel built in 1920 full of SW antiques. Our room was in a adobe building out back that was superbly SW decorated, with a fireplace which we used, and beautifully landscaped. We felt we were in old Mexico! Nice.

Room Tip: The only negative was no TV or WiFi, but with the old southwest ambiance and fireplace we didn't...
1 Thank DaveGisriel
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed at the Gage for a night on the way to Big Bend NP from San Antonio. Great historic hotel. We stayed in the main hotel -- decent-sized room with a very nice bathroom (Room 19). Have a drink at the bar and enjoy whatever the restaurant is cooking that night. The restaurant may be a touch overpriced, but you're in Marathon, so unless you want to drive a good ways, enjoy the convenience and the great food. If you're at the tail-end of a long drive to BBNP, the Gage is certainly worth a stay before heading into the Park.

Angleton, Texas
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Marathon is tiny - smaller than even my small town in southeast Texas, and it's out in the middle of nowhere, about 60 miles away from Big Bend National Park and 50-some miles off of Interstate 10. So I definitely wasn't expecting to find such an awesome place to stay as the Gage Hotel. I was traveling to Big Bend National Park to spend a week at the lodge within the park, but there was no room for me that first day upon arrival in the area (after a 13-hour drive). So, I reserved a room at the Gage Hotel. I'd read their website and decided to choose a Los Portales Room rather than a room inside the hotel, itself.

The hotel's lobby interior is straight out of the Old West, rustic with antiques and very nicely appointed with rich colors decorating the furnishings and accessories. The staff service was very friendly and check-in was a breeze.

The Los Portales rooms are located adjacent / attached to the outdoor courtyard/dance floor and right next to the swimming pool. A long, grassy courtyard runs the length of the Los Portales rooms located on either side. Flowers and fountains grace the area. Birds flitted from the trees to the wood beams covering the verandas and the air was filled with birdsong.

My Los Portales room was decorated in creams and rich, deep dark colors and rustic woodwork. The scent of wood was in the room, as well. Antiques (or what looked very much like antiques) hung on the walls.

The entire room was very clean and came with the usual amenities (soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bathrobes, mini-fridge, coffee maker, blow dryer, and free internet). My bed was very comfortable and I had a good night's sleep.

I ate dinner in their 12 Gauge Restaurant after enjoying a prickly pear margarita in their White Buffalo Bar. I chose three appetizers for my meal and each one was not only beautifully-presented but delicious.

True, the Gage Hotel is pricey, and there is not much else nearby in the way of lodging, but for a real treat, you should stay there for one or two nights and soak in the flavor of the Old West with friendly service and all the perks of the 21st century.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank RebeccaL2
nj
Reviewed 1 May 2014

we stayed in the main building - no elevators - so be aware - but cool little room with atmosphere - bathroom décor updated fits in the style of the hotel - extremely helpful hotel manager who helped us with a family emergency back home - couldn't have been more accommodating - the only other drawback was the trains, but then historically if there weren't trains, there'd be no hotel .....also if planning to be here on particular nights most of the little stores are closed on Tuesdays & wednesdays

1 Thank joisey-joe

Been to Gage Hotel? Share your experiences!