“Unexpected Class & Comfort on a Wide Spot in The road”
Review of Gage Hotel

Gage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Marathon
Reviewed 25 May 2014

On our way home after having "done" Big Bend National Park, we thought this would be a good place to refuel and then spend the night. The refuel part was a shock: 56 cents a gallon more than we've been accustomed to paying. With that editorial comment behind me, the hotel was another interesting property constructed by the Trost Brothers in the late 1920s. It's well appointed, clean, and comfortable. However, my aging knees weren't ready for the climb up the stairs to our room on the second floor. But, once there, we were pleased with it, and the rate. My main gripe was the New York prices in the bar and on the dinner menu. I've traveled the world over but don't ever recall having paid 11 bucks for glass of red table wine. And $40 for a lamb chop might've been OK if it could have been proven that it was flown in from New Zealand. Bottom line: we were surprised, but when you're the only place in town, well.... A couple of local residents we talked with said they make the 23 miles drive west to Alpine to eat and buy gas. While the Gage is a historic building with pleasant accommodations, I think we'd probably do what the locals suggested. By the way, Marathon calls itself the gateway to Big Bend, but it's a full 70 miles to the Park Headquarters at Panther Junction. So, given that we spent the preceding night at Chisos Mountain Lodge in the Park, the Gage comes off a distant second---and we didn't have to listen to the Union Pacific's five-mile-long train at 3 a.m.

Room Tip: Away from the main street (U.S. 90) and the adjacent Union Pacific tracks.
1  Thank dysg

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I celebrated our sixth wedding anniversary here over a weekend and enjoyed every minute! We stayed in one of the rooms located in Los Portales and were not disappointed. The room had a rustic charm and provided the comfort we needed. The only downside was the pillows, which we had to double-up on due to the extreme softness. The hotel grounds are beautiful and reminded me of our trips to Mexico where we frequent the resorts. We ate at the Gage Restaurant both nights and had some of the best food we've had in Texas, very comparable to our favorite dining places in Las Vegas! We shared the beef tenderloin filet the first night and it was melt in your mouth delicious. We sampled many cocktails and each one was even better than the one before it. We loved the variety and complexity of the cocktails and the bartenders did a fabulous job preparing them. We shared the pork tenderloin the second night and although it was in no comparison to the filet, it was very good. The wait staff are very attentive and friendly, which is a nice change considering we have mediocre/terrible service at our restaurants where we live. Although our initial plan was to spend time in the outside areas of Marathon, we decided to spend our entire day at the pool and did not regret our choice. The pool area was well kept, other than the bugs in the pool, but I guess sometimes that's hard to avoid. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and although it was a bit on the pricey end, we will definitely be back!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Our stay at the Gage was a wonderful experience. We were in Los Portales and the rooms were great. Everything from the decor (each room is 'themed' ) to the linens, bathrobes and toiletries is well thought out and 'just right'. There are chairs and tables on the patios overlooking the quite lovely garden. The common areas are nicely decorated; opulent but tasteful. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The White Bufalo and the 12 Gage are superior and highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gmac66
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just got done with a trip through big bend including a 5 day hike. We were dirty and tired and driving out of the national park we stumbled on to this historic and beautiful place. The staff was very accommodating, rooms were reasonably priced, and they got us settled in no time. We relaxed with drinks at 12 Gage and enjoyed an excellent dinner. Hopefully we can stay again soon and would recommend this hotel to any one.

Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Sully9821
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Gage was the first stop on our Big Bend travel odyssey. I have spent many nights in hotels in my life. I can say unequivocally, that this is the most elaborate restoration of a hotel, I have ever seen at this price point. All of the walls are Venetian plastered and glazed, to look almost like mother of pearl. The shower fixtures are first rate. The patio rooms have small fireplaces. The soaps and amenities rival those at a Ritz-Carlton. There are two bathrobes provided in the room. Like the rooms, the common areas are beautifully decorated. There is museum quality art throughout the hotel; for that matter, there are natural history museum quality displays in the hotel and the bar. If you want to experience a $600 or more /night quality hotel for less than a third of
the cost this is the place to go. Of course the staff, house keeping and maintenance were also first rate.

Room Tip: Only one small issue. If you are sensitive to A/C noise, specify that you do not want room 17. I wa...
Reviewed 9 May 2014

When arriving in Marathon, Texas, I was not expecting to find such a high quality hotel and a high-quality restaurant ... and wonderful & helpful people living and working in the area.

The Gage Hotel is a very convenient place to stay if you plan to visit Big Bend National Park. I found the quality of the food and service at the 12 Gage restaurant was excellent ... or maybe I was just very tired following a full day of hiking in the Big Bend National Park.

Room Tip: The only reason I did not list sleep quality as excellent is that a railroad for both cargo and pass...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Wife and I visited The Gage Hotel a couple weeks ago as a place to stay close to Big Bend NP, TX. We rolled into Marathon TX, the gateway to Big Bend, and The Gage was the only game in town with a room so we took it. A little pricy for us at $130 but it is a nice historic hotel built in 1920 full of SW antiques. Our room was in a adobe building out back that was superbly SW decorated, with a fireplace which we used, and beautifully landscaped. We felt we were in old Mexico! Nice.

Room Tip: The only negative was no TV or WiFi, but with the old southwest ambiance and fireplace we didn't...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DaveGisriel

Been to Gage Hotel? Share your experiences!