“Beautiful, warm, friendly B & B with excellent service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marathon
Eve's Garden Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Marathon B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Tucson, Arizona
“Beautiful, warm, friendly B & B with excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

My husband and I stopped in the tiny town of Marathon on a cross country road trip. We are so glad we chose to stay at Eve's garden. Having spent many hours traveling, this was the perfect place to relax and rejuvenate. This is a pretty unique place....it is owned and managed by an artist and this is very evident in all of the beautiful details throughout. The building is a brightly painted adobe, with rooms surrounding a beautiful garden. On the property they also have an outdoor hot tub and indoor lap pool. The best part about staying here was definitely the excellent personalized service. Kate (the owner) is an excellent cook and made us the most delicious breakfast...everything was very fresh and unique. She is also the type of person who really bends over backwards if you have any dietary needs. After breakfast, we ended up hanging out longer than expected because we were having such a nice time visiting with our hosts and the other friendly travelers at Eve's Garden. This is a great place to stay!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

The first time I saw Eve’s Garden I couldn’t take my eyes off it. It’s so beautiful with it’s colorful domes and luscious gardens. When we walked through the gate cute kittens chasing each other through the outdoor courtyard (that are not allowed in any of the closed spaces) greeted us. We immediately felt at home when Kate came out to meet us, laughing, all smiles to give us a tour of her romantic property. It truly is a feast for the eyes!
The indoor pool is beautiful, peaceful and quiet. Pass the pool and you enter her cozy living room filled to the brim with lovely books and a comfy couch. The kitchen is truly the heart of the home. We’ve spent several new year eves cooking and drinking wine over her beautiful island. The very neat and clean rooms vary in size, but they all look like jewel boxes. Barreled ceilings, domes and low light make them intimate and artful, and the beds are super comfy. Kate always leaves fresh flowers for her guests in each room. The indoor garden and ponds are very special as well. I’ve never seen anything quit like it.
Breakfast with Kate and Clyde is just as special as the sacred space they’ve built. I have never had a frittata as good as what Kate made for us! Delicious juice and precious presentation so caringly orchestrated made me feel like they considered me part of their family. The experience is worth every penny, and I always recommend Eve’s Garden to anyone heading out that way. It’s not just a bed and breakfast. It’s artful living. It’s a peaceful retreat, and it holds a very special place in my heart.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

I spent 2 nites at Eve's & thought it was phenominal! Super quirky & so different than any other B&B or hotel in the area, if not the country.
I've traveled all over the world & Eve's is one of the most memorable places I've stayed.
Each room is different & has a theme, very cool. The owners are super sweet & fun to talk to. I enjoyed the indoor gardens & fountain, hot tub & one of a kind architecture.
Now if you're looking for a 4 star resort or the 4 Seasons, this may not be the place for you. It's West Texas, a quirky place in itself. You also have to remember that this is a B&B, this is the owner's HOME you are staying in. I had a good friends in Austin, TX that owned a B&B and it was nothing short of a full-time job x10!
I will have to respectfully disagree with some previous reviews who dissed Eve's. I never encountered bugs, except outside(it is W. Texas) & the kitchen was nothing short of immaculate. I should know, we cooked in it!
If you are looking for something different, then Eve's is your place. If you want something you can get everywhere else that comes with a fake smile & identical rooms, then Eve's is not for you.

• Stayed January 2009
1 Thank Fluxstudio
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

I have been coming out to Marathon with friends for the last several years now. Part of our tradition is to stay at Eve's Garden with Kate and Clyde- two of the loveliest and hardest working people I have the pleasure of knowing.
The space is bright and colorful with handmade touches everywhere- and rightly so; They built the place themselves! The greenhouse courtyard is bright and inviting with plants and flowers and even an indoor pond. In the outdoor patio, there is a nice seating area, a hot tub (which has been the site of much hilarity on our annual visits) and a little outdoor fireplace. There's an indoor lap pool, too, though I have never used it!
The rooms are like something out of a fairy tale with curving walls and dome ceilings and little nooks and special touches everywhere. The beds are cozy and comfortable with nice sheets and the bathrooms are even fun- nice towels and little built-in seats in the shower.
Kate is an artist in so many ways, not the least of which is displayed in her cooking. She makes baked french toast and poached pears and homemade breads and fritattas and such delectable treats for breakfast. Juices and fantastic coffee. too.
I think for someone like me and my friends and family, Eve's Garden is ideal. We are a crafty & garden-y bunch so this place is just a treat for us. The only downside I can think of is that they don't allow pets. But sometimes a vacation from my big ol dogs is nice, too.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

Our friends stay here every year on New Year's Eve and we consider it one of the highlights of our year. The architecture is amazing and one-of-a-kind. After reading the other reviews, I think that you need to be an artistic, open-minded and free thinker to truly understand and appreciate what Clyde and Kate are doing. They have created a massive oasis in the middle of a desert: lush landscapes, vibrant buildings, cozy rooms, delicious food, and unbeatable service. You do not want to miss out on this experience if you are anywhere near Big Bend.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2009

When we arrived, we found that the rooms wer nothing like the web site. The place was filthy with trash and flies in the kitchen area. I would not have let my pet eat food from the kitchen. The pool was not working, thus disapointing the child.
With all the problems, the manager just did not care. So we decided to move on. I heard things are full; you will not find a room. We did at a pleasent place, the Marathon Motel.
Even though we arrived in the afternoon so the reservation should have been cancelled. We were charged for the room.

Thanks to the credit card company for removing the charge.

I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank bubba65
Alaine B, Owner at Eve's Garden Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
We always appreciate feedback, we’ll address your points one by one below…
Our Website:
We just launched a new website now April, 2012. More suggestions always welcome on that. Or share pictures!

Our Kitchen:
I am the owner’s (Kate’s) daughter-in-law; I spend much of my time in the kitchen. Kate would NEVER leave or let me leave her kitchen dirty, Never! As an organic B & B, we do our best to conserve resources, we do keep all of our food scraps for our neighbors at Z-Bar Farms and their goats, (it has been a long time since this review was posted, sorry for delay in responding, just getting into the modern world here) it was probably an afternoon we had set out the food scraps for Sally, the ranch owner, to come and pick up the scraps for the goats (and chickens, and puppies). On days when not expecting Miss Sally, I have a fridge in which I store the goat food. But I can not imagine that there had been a fly in our kitchen!

Pool:
Eve’s Garden does not advertise that we have a pool.
We have a winter and spring reflection pool and a warm weather lap pool.
As the water is solar heated it warms up in the summer and is a refreshing source of water on a warm desert afternoon.
As Eve’s Garden’s vision is one of conserving resources and demonstrating how to tread more lightly, the idea of expending resources to heat a large space of water in the wintertime is against our principles. Our sumertime pool has a water transfer system flows the water between the pool and the greenhouse; heating the pool and cooling off our greenhouse.

Our Refund Policy:
Again, this was posted in Nov, 2009, we’ve changed and improved. We do have a clear refund policy on our website, however we have grown and learned and if someone felt unhappy with our home, we’d be happy to do all we could to make them happy.

Marathon Motel:
We agree, nice place, a different concept than Eve’s Garden, but nice folks, nice place.

And:
The events that the reviewer described don't seem to match any guest that we had reserved or any of our records. We had no unfulfilled reservations in the months during or before this review and our credit card processor did not remove any charges. However, we certainly do apologize for any negative experience or misunderstanding.

Thanks again for the feedback, sorry you got the wrong impression,
Alaine, Noble, Kate
Eve's Garden Organic Bed and Breakfast and Ecology Resource Center
Granada, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2009

We had never heard of or seen Eve's Garden until we saw what appeared to be an old church ruin while driving through Marathon, Texas. The closer we got, the more we saw that it wasn't a church. It was a bed and breakfast that looked part prairie home, part lunar colony. Bright pastel colors, domes and colored glass everywhere. We had to stop.

One of the owners, Clyde, a colorful character, gave us a brief tour. We went through a beautiful frame structure, large kitchen and high-ceilinged living area and then entered wonderland. The first extra room they have added to the original house contains a large pool and rounded bench seats. We then exited into a courtyard with a concealed hot tub, then an organic greenhouse, then a courtyard with a pool and fountain. This final courtyard was surrounded by rooms, each unique. Most of this structure was made of papercrete, a fibrous cement construction tecnhique that is very inexpensive, light and easy. Clyde then showed us the areas still under construction and explained his sustainable living philosophy. At the end of the tour we walked back to the car to talk about whether or not we wanted to stay there or perhaps check out another location. But my wife was mesmerized. We went back inside and booked a room for the night.

The rooms are all different, all unique. Even our room, the smallest, was cozy, spacious, warm and inviting, luxurious. Given the fact that this facility is on the edge of town, on the edge of the chihuahuan desert, I would have expected more wildlife frankly. Not so much as a scorpion or cricket visited our room.

We were the only guests that night so we unpacked, showered and spent some time wandering around. There are so many nooks and crannies that each time you pass an area you find something new. We ate dinner at the local Flying Burro and then took a quick dip in the hot tub before retiring for the night. We surprised a couple of javelinas who had decided to explore the courtyard. Their quick retreat was comical! We slept with the door open so that the fountain could lull us to sleep.

Breakfast the next morning was a delicious spinach/mushroom/feta cheese omelette, grapefruit with meringue and raisin bread. We talked with Kate the whole time she prepared the food and then with both her and Clyde after breakfast and before we left. They are very entertaining, interesting and passionate about all things organic and sustainable and local. And yet I never found them to be pushy or overbearing in any way. And, if I may be so bold, I find some of the previous reviews mentioning 'physical threats' to be unbelievable to the point of ludicrousness. I can't imagine either of these kind souls threatening any one. Eve's Garden is, if nothing else, peace, love and harmony.

My wife spent the morning walking around and sitting down in different places to enjoy each new perspective as if it were a completely different experience than the bench seat just around the corner. She found it relaxing, refreshing, even healing. I asked my wife how often she would like to go back for a return visit. Even though Marathon is a good 8-9 hour drive from our house, and even though it is more expensive than my wife's penny-pinching heart can normally take, she responded immediately: "Every weekend!"

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank webwide

Been to Eve's Garden Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!