“It Was What We Expected. Crudecows1X”
Review of Cibolo Creek Ranch

Cibolo Creek Ranch
“It Was What We Expected. Crudecows1X”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We love going to different places in West Texas and this was our first time here. We knew it was going to be expensive and it was. We rented the Presidential Suite. It was advertised to have a TV but it did not work. The signing of the release was odd so I just packed more firearms to protect us against all of the perils they mentioned. Met some interesting people from Texas and some "mindless windbags" from Austria. The views are incredible and a tip of the Resistol to Mr. Poindexter on his historical restoration. Thought the food was fine and you can bring your own beverage. Plenty of books to read everywhere. No cell phone reception but strong Wi-Fi. I brought my own satellite phone. If we go again we will probably bring another couple. We took our own mountain tour and the panoramas were incredible. The staff will help you with your bags. Do not expect a "cruise director" to be planning activities. I walked by myself up to the tomb of don Milton Favor, sat down and took in all the vast sites and imagined what this place must have been like 130 years ago. Just a great place to go and contemplate ones life.

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank Crudecows

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This place is amazing! If you are looking to disconnect, unplug and relax, this is the place. My husband and I went there the week after our wedding and it was the perfect getaway. The service is amazing, the rooms are awesome and the food is delicious. It was a fantastic time away and my new husband and I are thrilled we spent our first week of marriage at Cibolo Creek Ranch. Thanks to all of the staff there for making our stay so enjoyable. We are already trying to plan our next trip back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Last month my niece had her destination wedding at this great historic Texas ranch. They have completely renovated each fort(3) in Tex-New Mex ranch style with great care to be family friendly(we had lots of very small children). Beautiful pool, pond for fishing, skeet shooting, Hummer(rustic) ride around the ranch up mountains with great vistas where you could see for miles, ancient petroglyphs and native and exotic animals. The staff were very gracious and the food fabulous, served family style. The town of Marfa is a darling little artist colony. We didn't have time, but if you are lucky enough, you can see the famous "Marfa lights" that are supposed to be like the aurora borealis.

Room Tip: There are 3 different forts. The one we stayed at was 1/2 hour from the main fort where the meals we...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Jeffry H, General Manager at Cibolo Creek Ranch, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Your kind words and property description are much appreciated. We are proud of the historical nature of Cibolo Creek Ranch and appreciate your observations concerning our activites and the family nature of the resort. We look forward to your return visit.

Spring, TX
Reviewed 29 April 2013

All the pictures in the world cannot give this paradise the justice it deserves. I have been fortunate to spend several days at the resort, and it's difficult to find the words to describe my experience, but I will try with a few more: Tranquil, Comfortable, Friendly, Peaceful, Magnificent, Intriguing, Majestic, Thrilling, and Overwhelmingly Beautiful.The history of the ranch alone was mesmerizing for me. I was blown away by the meticulous efforts to keep the authenticity but yet provide the necessary modern conveniences.This resort is a secret that needs to be revealed. Trust me on This one!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for sharing our secret! Yes, we are fortunate to have such an amazing setting here in the mountains of west Texas. The authentic fort restoration supplemented with a degree of modern conveniences is a beautiful description. Many thanks.

Andrews, Texas
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Our first trip to Cibolo Creek Ranch was a visual feast for the eyes that took our breath away. There are many outdoor activites to keep you busy during your entire stay. Or sit back in a chair and read the numerous books found in nearly every free inch of space within the resort. No TV necessary in this place (and your cell phone won't work either!) My husband and I spent two nights. The first was quiet, only 10 adults and 3 well behaved children. The second night the place seemed to explode at the seams. Huge mistake: we chose to come at the beginning of spring break for TX. We will NEVER do that again. Far too many "Where The Wild Things Are Maxes" for what should've been a quiet retreat in the mountains. We had several disappointments related to the resort. On the first night the "bartender" only knew how to pour wine, beer and tequilla shots. My hubby really wanted to try their famous Prickly Pear Margarita. The second night, a new bartender, but they had no prickly pear juice to make their famous cocktails. We also did not realize that the American Meal Plan meant you ate the one thing they chose to prepare. The hubby went hungry on several occasions due to allergies to seafood. I wish they could've soundproofed the walls of the rooms more as we did hear some of those "Maxes" and their parents quite easily. Despite some issues, I would love to return to this resort where the stars appear only inches from an outstretched hand, the sky is as blue as one in Montana and the hills and mountains beckon for exploring. It is truly a magical place in far West Texas. PS: don't even bother arriving without your hiking boots! Leave the high heels at home.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WC489
Thank you for your review of your stay with us at Cibolo Creek Ranch. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you experienced in our food and beverage areas. Although we do serve a set meal for our lunches and dinners we are happy to substitute for any food restrictions or allergies. We should have made this clear to you. We appreciate your kind words about the tranquil setting we enjoy here and we look forward to your return visit. The margaritas will be on the house.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Cibolo Creek Ranch is a wonderful place for couples or families to visit. Guests can relax by the lake or pool and enjoy the spa. Those who enjoy more active vacations can hike numerous trails on the 30,000-acre ranch, horseback ride, shoot a very challenging sporting clays course, take the mountain tour via Humvee, stargaze at night and much more. The food is outstanding - three great meals per day. The rooms in the restored 19th-century fort are beautiful and comfortable. The housekeeping staff is wonderful. The wait staff needs improvement, but considering the difficulty finding good employees in such a remote location, they do a good job. My wife and I will definitely go back again - and again, and again, and again. I highly recommend Cibolo Creek Ranch.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WillCH
Jeffry H, Manager at Cibolo Creek Ranch, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Thank you for your kind words about our staff and your praise for our resort. We also appreciate the recognition for the activities available at the ranch. You can indeed be as active as you desire or just relax at Cibolo Creek. Let us help you plan your return visit to our oasis.

Texas
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We have come to Cibolo Creek every year for the past 5 years. Over the past two year however, we have noticed a sharp decline in the service and the food. We love the format and enjoy meeting other people during the communal dinners, etc. But I agree with the other posts. The staff needs additional customer service training that is more congruent to luxury resorts. Additionally, the food quality has declined over the past 2 years and needs to be addressed. There are now many options to choose from in the Big Bend for a unique traveling experience. However, we are confident that Cibolo will address some of the these issues.

We want to continue coming back!

Room Tip: We like the lake view rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TexasRedLizard
Michael D, General Manager at Cibolo Creek Ranch, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
You are correct we can always strive to improve. I cannot be sure of the reference to the other reviews because they are all 5 and 4 stars but certainly need additional information. Appreciate if you would call me or write (email below) to detail specifics. We pride ourselves on fresh food and great service as the other reviews indicate and I truly need to know what may have happened during your stay.

Thanks, much appreciated and hope you will take the additional time to let me know.

Best Wishes,

Michael Danella
mikedanella@cibolocreekranch.com

Been to Cibolo Creek Ranch? Share your experiences!