“Spectacular”
Review of Chinati Foundation

Chinati Foundation
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Marfa
More attraction details
Owner description: An art museum operated by the Chinati Foundation, housed in a former U.S. Cavalry post, Fort D.A. Russell.
Reviewed 27 October 2013

If you are a fan of installation art you have to visit Chinati. The Donald Judd artworks are amazing. Book yourself on the full day tour - it's absolutely worth it but you need to book and pay in advance.

2  Thank jmc1805

Reviewed 10 October 2013

This site presents an interesting question: Was this "artistic display" intentionally constructed to highlight the ugliness of modern man in relation to his natural environment, or is that juxtaposition merely a matter of pure serendipity?

Chinati's nouveau junk set amongst pre- and post-modern adobe houses and trailer-park junk is a chique way of saying, "Look outwards towards nature's beauty, because man sure screws things up."

Alternatively, perhaps the art is the policeman who tells us, "Nothing to see here. Move along."

The place detracts from the natural surroundings, and even from the historical location of a former military facility.

What a shame.

2  Thank Ollantaytanbo
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I know this is a private--not a public--institution free to operate as it pleases. I have been to many of the world's greatest modern art museums and installations and had high hopes for Chinati.

The visitor experience is inexcusably poor. I flew in from the Northwest to Albuquerque, then drove another 400 miles to reach Marfa and visit Chinati. The trip there was wonderful. I arrived too late on Sunday to do anything but take a 30 minute walk around the concrete forms in a field. I especially wanted to see and make a few quick photos of the Claes Oldenburg. I was told to come back and do a $25 tour on Wednesday. Fortunately I was able to rearrange my itinerary and return Wednesday @ 9:45 am. I called Tuesday to reserve a spot after trying to book one on their website which indicated they were sold out. But I was told on the phone that the tour--which runs from 10-12 and resumes at 2 and ends at 4--a very long day commitment, was open. I arrived on time Wednesday with my camera around my neck, paid my $25, then was told no pictures were permitted and was not offered a refund. Somewhat disgusted, I walked out before the tour began.

From a user perspective, I deplore Chinati and it's controlling approach to visitors. It would be far better to let people see what they please with or without a guide hovering over them. I wish I could have stood and studied the Oldenburg piece--but could only view it from a quarter-mile through a barb wire fence.

This is not a place for people who want to visit. Unless you are one of the elite who can gain access on your own terms, you can either be handled by the oppressive people and institutional policies, or pass on Chinati. I'll pass.

2  Thank photolandscape
Reviewed 30 September 2013

If you appreciate modern sculpture, the Chinati Foundation is certainly worth a visit. Monumental concrete "bunkers" by Donald Judd are spread across the West Texas prairie and the juxtaposition of these works with the gentle landscape is at once jarring and somehow soothing. They just seem to belong there.

1  Thank rag714
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I recommend to book the full tour, lasts about 3 hours and gives you a great overview about this wonderful place. Dont bring your camera though, no photos allowed!