All reviews safari tent one night outdoor shower fun experience cool place camping experience fire pit airstream trailer free coffee open space unique place to stay texas weather own bathroom plenty of hot water your luggage music festival extra blankets
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Not much of the way of "camping" is available in Marfa. One of the other spots is set up for trailer parking but no amenities. El Cosmico is set up for tents only, and those are all walk-in sites, with cargo wagons provided for moving your equipment. No privacy. Trailers are relegated to a gravel parking lot with no assigned places, no hookups or tables. Only 3 others using the parking area so it was fine. The main office & lounge area is very cool as is the hammock grove. Nice staff and awesome souvenirs. Good coffee available in the mornings plus wifi (at office area only). The outdoor bathroom is groovy but totally inadequate. Only two toilets and hogged by a couple of campers. Thank goodness we had a porta-potty in the trailer. Only one outdoor sink for cleaning up. I was taken aback by the outside appearance of the vintage trailers for rent. Not restored at all and not particularly attractive and essentially no outside space, very unlike other vintage trailer spots. Have no idea what they are like inside since they were occupied. No evidence of AC in them either. If I'm back in the area, I will definitely stay there again as I'm an old hippie and liked the vibes. Doesn't look like it would be good for families or the staid.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I have inadvertently cruised around Texas on the 'Liz Lambert' tour - 2 weeks away from London. Bliss. Hotel Havana in San Antonio (lovely place, cool bar), Hotel San Jose in Austin (Hipster Central) and finally, El Cosmico in Marfa.

Disclaimer: Aged 34, I have never slept in a tent, a caravan, a trailer, a motorhome or anything in fact that doesn't have foundations, full electrics, plumbing, etc. and I was coming from 5 Star Liz Lambert City Style. Travelling solo. I was nervous. But I feel in love immediately. I was in the Royal Mansion trailer (green and white), right at the back of the camp site...one HUGE double bed, a little loo (that flushed - wow!) and a door out the back to the outdoor shower, secluded by curtains and with LOTS of hot water.

I wasn't going to do any cooking but there was stuff in there to cook with and a trendy jar of coffee grounds and a pot for the making thereof. A fridgey thing. Electric points for recharging stuff, etc. Several electric heaters for when it got chilly.

There are handy carts to haul luggage from the cars and I loved seeing the coming and going of tents throughout the 3 nights I was there. There are teepees you can hire for the night and one yurt (I think they're phasing them out).

A good reception area with free coffee from 8am, sofas to chill on to do emails (only wifi is in reception) and some tables outside. And I gather there are BBQ areas for those in tents...

Anyway - whatever. El Cosmico was wonderful. In the UK we'd call it glamping and if this is the standard of glamping I'm now accustomed to - woe betide any other site I stumble upon. Stay there.

The truth is, I'm not a Hipster. But having done what is clearly the list of hipster's (with money) hangouts in Texas - I'm a convert. If ONLY I could grow a beard.

And while I'm at it...if you're looking for somewhere else quirky to stay on the way back to Dallas/Fort Worth - check out Sayles Ranch in Abilene. Amazing, self-catering and totally awesome interiors. A far cry from the Lambert minimalism but rather lovely.

Right - I'm off for more red meat.

Room Tip: If you have cash and can book in advance - go for a trailer - and the website is useful for spelling out what you get in each...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank chloerfowler
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Some friends and I stayed in a couple of yurts back in September. They were nicely furnished with a futon, cow hide rug, extra blankets and towels and a cool recycled tin can lantern. When we arrived early that evening the sky was clear and temperature was perfect. By the time we returned from the show we were attending that night a storm had rolled in and when we got in our yurts we saw they were leaking from several places. We had to use the extra towels and blankets to stop the leaks but even that didn't prevent our bed from getting mostly soaked. My boyfriend realized that the wind had blown the rain flap ajar, so we figured out how to readjust it so that less water leaked in and we made in through the night laying on top of what few dry blankets we had left. Honestly I was pretty miserable there for a minute. Had it been a nice dry desert night this place would have been absolutely amazing. Unfortunately mother nature had other plans for us... My only gripe would be that the El Cosmico website states the yurts have "weatherproof fabric walls"... yeah the material may be weather proof, but definitely not the structure.... If theres a chance of showers stay in the safari tent.... Those seemed to hold up better in the rain.

Room Tip: Skip the yurts if there is a chance of rain... go for the trailers or safari tent instead.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andyhatesyou2006
Reviewed 16 October 2011

It's a great place to stay! Love the outdoor showers and the furnished tents are clean and simple. Also next door to the chinati foundation and very close to town.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Marfa, TX is an amazing little place full of lovely people and amazing art and the place to stay when going is either el Cosmico or the Thunderbird motel-- both hotels revamped by Liz Lambert's team. If you are willing to have an adventure pick the Imperial Mansion trailer or any other trailer on the lot and enjoy a trip back to the 50s when taste demanded a brilliant orange formica complemented by a lovely pink sink and tub! It's a hoot-- but be warned there is NO AIR CONDITIONING-- however, we didn't hang at the trailer during the day and the nights are cool and the fans work wonders. Dogs are welcomed and the staff is a treat. Cocktails and guacamole were served up with some great vinyl on the turntable. You can also bring your own tent or rent one of their huge tents, teepee or yurts. Don't expect room service, you can buy ice at the desk-- fully functional kitchen but no fridge-- an electric cooler is part of the kitchen-- limited dishes and utensils. They have special events weekends so check out the website.

Room Tip: No air conditioning-- but we were completely comfortable
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family