All reviews safari tent one night outdoor shower fun experience cool place camping experience fire pit airstream trailer free coffee open space unique place to stay texas weather own bathroom plenty of hot water your luggage music festival extra blankets
Reviewed 1 January 2013

By the time I got around to booking, all the campers were full--so I stayed in one of the safari tents. It was clean, pretty, and special--if spartan, and (on that night) VERY cold. The beds have heated mattress pads, and that meant it was possible to survive the night, but... The glass of water set out by my bed turned into a slushy, and the lack of hot water in the out door (!) bathrooms was--in winter--a drag. I bet it's all fabulous in summer, and certainly the place itself was! There was an "end of the world" party the night I stayed, and the beer was cheap and the crowd was uber-cool. I went away with fond, and really unique, memories--and I'll be back (if there's a trailer free) (or it's warm). (The tent--I should note--was a good price...)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SubjectTravel
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Well, I can't say it was too different than advertised in terms of the accommodation. We stayed in the Vagabond trailer. It was restored in the interior and pretty nice except for a ridiculously small bathroom. If you are a "large" person, forget it. And as my companion said "there is no way I'm even going to try to shower here". It got really cold that night (it was 16 degrees at 8am) and couldn't have been more than 40 in the trailer despite the heaters. The two things that put me off the most were (a) having to put all your stuff into a cart and haul it over to the trailer as you can't drive to it (I suspect it would kick up too much dust) and (b) the fact the area was completely featureless and just an open field next to the highway (noisy). I wouldn't go back, there are nicer places in the area. And, if you want to stay in a place in a nearby town, you can get there quickly as the roads are open, speed limits are high, and traffic is low.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank funlonghorn
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Had the good fortune of spending a few nights in one of their re-furbished campers, a first for me. The set up couldnt have been better. Inside toilet, outside shower (pretty much attached to our unit) and wifi at their office. El Cosmico is a "go with the flow" type of place and we found it a fitting place during our stay in Marfa. For those who like to camp, they have tents and tee-pees and sites for your own tent. Loved it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ohayomountain
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We had heard about Marfa and thought glamping seemed a fun way to experience it. It was. We arrived on Wednesday afternoon after a 3 hour drive from Midland/ Odessa. We stayed in the 1953 Vagabond and were not disappointed. There was a serious rain storm Thursday night and our trailer didn't budge. Very glad I was not in tent. We purchased food at a local market and cooked a couple of dinners and breakfasts. Some cooking utensils, but not many so verify what you need before shopping, i.e. no can opener. Our bathroom was adequate and the outdoor shower fantastic! Our activities included reading, cooking, and more reading. A stroll into town and the DQ for excitement!

Our reservation was screwed up for our third night. The staff was quite apologetic and El Cosmico booked and put us up at The Thunderbird. Although an error occurred, it was handled in the best possible way. El Cosmico is not a hotel and not for everyone. But we loved it, met some fun co-glampers, enjoyed the experience and wold definitely return.

Room Tip: Toilet inside and shower outside.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Romcl2
Reviewed 10 September 2012

El Cosmico has everything - great space and availability for tents, TEEPEES and airstreamers that I can't wait to try, and super nice staff. Their lobby has wi-fi, beer and other drinks, and the bathrooms are in better shape than some campgrounds I've been to. Great personality and warmth, it's clean and happy, AND they have bikes you rent to go around town. That was a huge plus on this past trip. I would camp here again, no doubt about it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family