“unforgettable”
Review of El Cosmico

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marfa
El Cosmico
Reviewed 12 March 2013

My husband and I (and our dog, Luke) stayed in one of the El Cosmico tee-pees back in Spetember of last year. I loved everything about the tee-pee and our experience, in general. Our dog loved running around the grounds with the other dogs (although the goats head stickers really tore up this city dog's pads) and the overall atmosphere was great - the vibe is laid back, but also friendly. Plus, the experience just feels so 'Marfa," by which I mean quirky, slightly challenging and entirely unexpected. Loved it and hope to return.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KristaNyc

Reviewed 25 February 2013

El Cosmico was a fantastic, eclectic place to stay! Everyone who worked there was very helpful and pleasant. It's about a 7 minute walk into town which was nice, the entire place is kept very clean including our Safari Tent. Even with all the spaces being full it was still a very quiet place to be. The outdoor kicthen looks wonderful and the otudoor showers were a lot better than I thought, the hot water was a nice relief from the cold. We made a fire in the fire pit one night and cooked smores, perfect evening of peace, quiet and looking at the stars! If you don't like the cold weather don't go anytime but the summer months, I was surprised how cold it got but we brought extra blankets and it was fine. All in all a great stay for a great price!

Room Tip: Make sure to bring a lot of heavy blankets if you're staying the Safari Tent's. They do prov...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2013

If you are a college student, cold weather camper or a polar bear, this is the place for you.
While the funky vibe is here, sleeping in 30 degrees is not much fun for a geezer like me.
The heater is not efficient. This place must be a blast when the weather is nice, but in sub-freezing nights, stay somewhere else in Marfa for much less.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Gary E
Reviewed 13 January 2013

If you're visiting Marfa you probably don't expect the usual and El Cosmico is unique.
We stayed in one of the trailers, Cozy Coach, in early January, 2012. We arrived just before dark and carted our belongings from the car to the trailer, a distance of 50 yards or so through slush and mud (6" snow had fallen the day before), no big deal unless you expected a porter to take them to your room. The trailer is nicely refurbished, but it is a trailer, and cozy indeed. There were two portable heaters running, as it was about 30 degrees outside and dropping, one of them under the sink where the water supply was and the other in the bed area, but it was still cold inside. We kept our jackets on as we got settled in, no big deal, unless you're expecting the Cozy Coach to be truly cozy.
The outdoor shower was of no interest to us given the temperatures, so we went 'scuzzy' for a couple of days. There was no hot water inside the trailer for the first 24 hrs of our stay as the pipe must have been frozen. No big deal, unless you like to wash up with warm water.
Our bed was comfortable, with plenty of soft down and wool to cover up in. Especially good if you like to snuggle with someone else.
Kind of pricey, too, for what you get. But that seemed to be true of Marfa, in general.
The main building is a nice refuge, with a sitting area, good internet, morning coffee, and space to socialize.
This must be a really cool place to stay when the weather is reasonable.
Despite it all we enjoyed our stay.
Really.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JLK1957
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Wonderful set up for camping and experiencing the sky in Marfa. The campground is set up so you never feel crowded or too close to other campers. They have hot showers which was a very pleasant surprise in late December/early January. And the main office/lounge area is welcoming and open...including strong WiFi. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2013

By the time I got around to booking, all the campers were full--so I stayed in one of the safari tents. It was clean, pretty, and special--if spartan, and (on that night) VERY cold. The beds have heated mattress pads, and that meant it was possible to survive the night, but... The glass of water set out by my bed turned into a slushy, and the lack of hot water in the out door (!) bathrooms was--in winter--a drag. I bet it's all fabulous in summer, and certainly the place itself was! There was an "end of the world" party the night I stayed, and the beer was cheap and the crowd was uber-cool. I went away with fond, and really unique, memories--and I'll be back (if there's a trailer free) (or it's warm). (The tent--I should note--was a good price...)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SubjectTravel
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Well, I can't say it was too different than advertised in terms of the accommodation. We stayed in the Vagabond trailer. It was restored in the interior and pretty nice except for a ridiculously small bathroom. If you are a "large" person, forget it. And as my companion said "there is no way I'm even going to try to shower here". It got really cold that night (it was 16 degrees at 8am) and couldn't have been more than 40 in the trailer despite the heaters. The two things that put me off the most were (a) having to put all your stuff into a cart and haul it over to the trailer as you can't drive to it (I suspect it would kick up too much dust) and (b) the fact the area was completely featureless and just an open field next to the highway (noisy). I wouldn't go back, there are nicer places in the area. And, if you want to stay in a place in a nearby town, you can get there quickly as the roads are open, speed limits are high, and traffic is low.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank funlonghorn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marfa
Hotel Saint George
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
#5 of 13 in Alpine
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast

Been to El Cosmico? Share your experiences!