“Secluded 2 Hour Drive off the Main Road”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marfa
Chinati Hot Springs
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Secluded, quiet, hiking trails, pool and hot tub. The rooms are small and some of them do not have a restroom in them. The air conditioner is cool but loud and never goes off. There is a huge community kitchen with a stove, microwave, coffee pots and 2 refrigerators. There are bar b q grills and supplies for grilling. They have about 7 cabins and a few spots for camping. There are no TVs,DVD players, internet,or cell phone service, If you like the quiet outdoors, this is the place for you, but if you thrive on entertainment there is not much to do at night. This place is so far away from town that you must make sure you all the supplies needed for your stay, the hotel does not have any supplies for purchase.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank maxe1lab

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Awesome place for a girls trip. We had 16 ladies aging from 89 to 40. We had a blast. Not one person had anything negative to say about our stay. Several of the girls are taking their families back as soon as they can. Everything was very clean from the rooms, to the kitchen, to the grounds. Both the hot pools and the cold pool were great. Diana was so nice and took very good care of us. No internet, no cell service just peace and quite and relaxation. We are already planning our next stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Janet A
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have been hearing from locals how much I needed to go to Chinati and finally got the chance to do so. Wow! This place is so fantastic I really do not want to tell anyone about it so I can keep it all to myself!
Originally built in 1937,renovated and modernized to today's standards, this place is a true oasis in the desert. Located in one of the most remote, beautiful, desolate, places on Earth between Ruidosa and Cadelaria Texas in the Chinati Mountain High Plains, this hidden canyon has tapped into ancient hot springs that sooth the soul.
I repeat, remote, very remote, and we love it!
No cell phone, no TV, no satellite, no nothing but the roaring sounds of silence and the breeze rustling the massive old cottonwood trees. It is so peaceful you can leave the door to your room open and hear nothing but birds and nature. Several rooms have their own private tubs (we stayed in Numero Uno which does),some do not but there is a large public hot tub near the creek and a large tub where the water is the hottest for a 15 minute private bath, and a small public swimming pool up on the side of the hill overlooking the entire facility.
Make sure you call and make reservations even if you are just using the public tub. You owe it to yourself and your significant other to stay as long as you possibly can. I know it will rekindle or start a serious romance.
If you expect room service this is NOT the place for you! The public kitchen and dining area is very well stocked with everything you could possibly need except food & drink to cook and prepare your own meals. Do not miss a guided hike by Rook the resident cat who will give you a tour of some great places to watch the sunrise/set.
I know I've said too much about this place and wish everyone would just go away so I can have it all to myself, but you really need to go here at least once in your lifetime. I'm going back in November for several days. Some reviews have been very unkind to the owners and I hope you do NOT believe them. We couldn't have asked for more friendly service, help, and advise.

Room Tip: El Presidente or Numero Uno are the two best rooms. There is however a room perfect for newlyweds aw...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JBWeld
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I was planning on stopping by on my way to Spring Break with my kids, and after researching their website, I contacted them via email to get some clarifications on some things. Their reply was "Everything is on the website." That's a rude reply and it really turned me off. I will be sure to NEVER go there.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
27  Thank SweetSonia
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Hot springs tend to occur in off the beaten path locations, and Chinati is way, way, way off the beaten path.

A real gem of the Big Bend area, Chinati Hot Springs is an excellent choice for getting away to a remote resort for relaxing, lounging and soaking in the refreshing warm waters of the ancient spring. No, there is no golf, no pottery classes, no masseuse, no TV and no wireless coverage! Oh, but there is a draw that this little hotel has in spades that Big Chains would kill to be able to offer: calm, quiet and solitude.

The hotel has only 7 guest rooms, which by definition tells the arriving visitor that this is unlike the last 29 hotels they've stayed with. First developed starting in 1937, the hotel is quintessential West Texas adobe-style construction. Each room is slightly different and some even have their own spring fed hot tub. Splurge and get a room that has one.

The rooms are comfortable and nicely furnished as one would expect in such a rustic setting.

The one twist is there is no restaurant where one can grab a menu and order, well, anything. This is a BYOF establishment. The community kitchen is spacious and allows for multiple guests to cook or prepare meals at the same time.

The hot springs venue tends to draw all sorts -- from distant travelers, to artists, musicians to locals making an annual pilgrimage to the soothing mineral waters flowing from deep, deep underground.

Take a hike west along the creek at sunset for a nice view of the mountains in Mexico.

The hot springs can be reached two ways, by the traditional route leading south from Marfa 59 miles to Presidio, then up hwy 170 along the Rio Grande to Hot Springs Road. A very nice and scenic drive. But up for more adventure? Then scrap that conventional route and instead head out of Marfa Southwest on Ranch Road 2810. The pavement takes one through some wonderful 30-mile views approaching Pinto Canyon. The canyon is on private land, meaning only sightseeing from the auto is allowed. But oh my word! Take this drive! The state has paved the road the first 32 miles, and then the final 22 miles are on either gravel or rock. This is remote country mind you, you will likely not pass a single car except for U.S. Border Patrol out making rounds. About 34 miles in, a sign will alert the driver that he/she is entering Pinto Canyon Ranch. Several spectacular vistas are to be found on both sides of the road, but 100 yards into the Ranch, jump out and walk 15 feet to the right and see a marvelous view of Pinto Canyon. Stunning.

My suggestion is make it a two- night stay, as one night is not enough. My one night stay left me wanting more.

Oh ladies! Leave the high heals at home. Bring tennis shoes and jeans.

• Stayed: December 2013
13  Thank CameraReadyCush
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Eight of us found our way here after our annual trip to Big Bend National Park. It was a further drive than we thought but certainly beautiful driving thru Big Bend State Park and along the Rio Grande River. It is a long drive as well off of the main road but don't give up. We booked El Patron which was a nice cabin just a few steps away from the large communal hot tub. It was nicely decorated and had a small bathroom attached. It also had an individual hot tub specifically for our cabin. The large communal kitchen is very well stocked for several groups to be using at one time. We were a party of eight but there was also two parties of two preparing simple meals. Two large refrigerators were shared plus both indoor and outdoor tables accomodated everyone pretty easily. The pool was not filled at the time we were there but from where the pool sits, one has a lovely view of the sunset.
You are in a very secluded area so don't think you can just run to the grocery store to get supplies or go to a local restaurant. There is nothing close by. We have heard it is safe to go across the border to Ojinaga from Presidio so we might try that next time if given the green light by our hosts. It is a long drive and not one I would do in the dark for sure.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank zinniaqueen
Reviewed 19 September 2013

AWESOME! It was the perfect place away from it all. The 360 views were lovely. The water temperature is naturally perfect. I only wish I could have spent more time there. I'll plan another trip and stay longer. Loved it!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple