“A modern motel in a far-off place”
Review of Thunderbird Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marfa
Thunderbird Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Marfa
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Thunderbird is a delightful mid-century modern motel in a worthwhile destination. The reviewers here who pan the hotel have no idea what it takes to make a resort environment in such a remote place, off the Interstate. (I know because I am from West Texas, and have a home 80 miles away.)
Never mind organizing a skillful remodelling 200 miles from any city, these critics should try hiring a staff in a town that had been since losing younger residents since the decline of the railroad.
And as for the writer who said you can see the art in Marfa in half a day, if they get tired of the Dairy Queen, I've got a Waffle House for them only 500 miles away.
And sure there are bugs in the desert. (But not in that Waffle House.)
Look at the pictures on this site you get a good idea of how nice this place is. The rooms are hip, comfortable, with a nice big bathroom, and thick white towels. (The tube TV seemed a waste of a corner.)

• • •

The staff was friendly and quick. The water in the town was being shut off for water main repairs at 8:00 the next morning, and they gently let us know.
For dinner, we walked down to Cochineal. It was a meal that any restaurant in Santa Fe or San Tropez would be proud of.
So ignore the spoiled grumps on this page, and come on to Marfa. Spend a couple of days with the Judd, Flavin and the galleries.Take a night trip to Ft. Davis to look at the stars through telescopes in the new Rhotenberry Wellen visitor's center at the McDonald Observatory. And stay at the Thunderbird.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Roger B
There are newer reviews for Thunderbird Hotel

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We really liked our stay at the thunderbird. We travelled all the way from Portugal to visit Marfa and the Thunderbird seemed like a good call for a nice stay, in tune with the marfa/texas scenario. Fair sized room, good bathroom, fair prices also. The one and only negative thing is the trains passing by, but that goes for all hotels in Marfa... Go Thunderbird.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MiguelCooms
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel was a bit of a disappointment.

Staff failed to mention the complimentary breakfast upon check in (or check out)

The rooms were big, and comfortable and cool (essential in the Texas heat) the bathrooms were huge, but had a feel of a high school gym locker. (nice aesthetic if you're into that) The room had some water damage in the ceiling, and overall didn't feel overly clean (nature of the concrete room) The toiletries were top notch the beds and futon were comfortable.

The pool was great, nice seating area there too.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the complimentary breakfast, its not advertised.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank K r
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We had to traveled 11 hours to Marfa for a funeral and arrived around 4:00 p.m. We took a quick nap before getting ready and that was the start of the downward spiral. I took a shower and the water did not drain. For a moment, I thought the water was going over the tub. I tried to call for help but the phone in our room did not work. I called the front office with my cell phone and had to leave a message because no one answered either of the two numbers that were listed on the card. Housekeeping working in another room, I explained the situation and she told me to look across the street, the two ladies that were supposed to be working the front desk, were outside chatting away. We got home from church and when I walked into the bathroom the water was gone from the tub but the towel that you step on after you shower was covered in dirt. I went back across the street to get a clean towel and when I went to put it back in the bathroom, I was greeted by a cockroach. Saturday morning my husband took a shower however my son could not shower until 20 minutes later when all the water finally drained from the tub. Not happy that we paid $140 to stay there and had to deal with that.

Room Tip: Stay in Alpine, they have newer hotels there.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Diana M
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Hip but not annoyingly so, comfy bed, clean and spacious room, giant bathroom, great toiletries, nice staff, good location. Renovated 50's motel, complete with pool, but totally updated. Has a South Beach vibe, without the noise. What else do you need?

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank robert240
Reviewed 11 February 2014

i had high hopes for this place. because i read the PR on their website which did not let me make a reservation. we were traveling so this booking was done from the road, 30 minutes prior to our arrival. Empire of Concrete, not a soft carpet anywhere and the strangest heating system located 6 inches from the ceiling-- so that when you dialed up the blowing hot air, it goes up and away --and you the occupant remain very cold, especially while sleeping.
I liked the minimalist decor, and the bathroom shower had lots of hot water and pressure; bed was fine, but i have the sense that some rooms--like those on the second floor where the sun shines on their roof might be warmer than the dungeon ( Rm # 28) where we spent the night. $170=gouging price for this evening's slumber.

Room Tip: second floor, one with window that gets some sun... if it's winter time.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ann p
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

We stopped at the Thunderbird while passing through Marfa. The hotel was great, we really enjoyed it. Small, cool style, and comfortable. We had a bit of a rough time sleeping due to the thin walls and a all child who wasn't happy in the next room but that is always a chance you take! Front desk staff was great and we would go back for sure!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DallasTraveler1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marfa
Hotel Saint George
Hampton Inn Alpine
Hampton Inn Alpine
#2 of 13 in Alpine
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast

Been to Thunderbird Hotel? Share your experiences!