“Lunch on the Square”

Ranked #12 of 73 Restaurants in Marshall
Price range: US$3 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Traditional Texas Cuisine with a Continental Flare. Local grown greens, home baked bread and pastries, Certified Angus Beef and fresh fish daily. Join us for dinner and enjoy the best outdoor music venue within walking distance of the Historic Harrison County Courthouse. Blue Frog now lives in the same space with Charlies Backyard Bar to bring the best food, best music and best beverage in town!
Longview, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lunch on the Square”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

If you have ever worked in Marshall on the square, you know that your lunch options are limited on the square. We dine at the Blue Frog occasionally out of convenience but after today we will not be doing that any longer. When we got to the restaurant, there were only 2 other tables with customers so we made 3. We had a party of 7 but with so few other tables you would not expect this to be an issue. We ordered our drinks and our waiter was a nice young man and explained the specials to us. Our order was not complex at all. One hamburger with sweet potato chips, two chicken fried steak sandwiches with fries, one half BLT and a half house salad, one club sandwich with sweet potato chips,one cobb salad with sweet chips and one salad (not sure of type). We asked the waiter after 45 minutes when we could expect to get our meal and he informed us they were preparing them. The one salad I am unsure of left because she had to return to work. We waited at least another 15 minutes before our meal finally came out. The two orders with fries had to ask for the fries. The food was not even warm. The customer with the club took two bites of his meal and asked for his check. He left without finishing his meal and said it was not good at all. The lettuce in the salads was wilted and mushy from sitting too long and the cobb salad with the sweet chips as a side cost over $18.00 so she was very upset. The bacon on the BLT was burnt. We paid and told our waiter we were unhappy but he really had nothing to say. Altogether the experience was very bad. The convenience of the location is no longer worth the headache of a bad meal. It is very unfortunate but for as much as the food cost at this restaurant you expect better than what we received. If you only upset 1 out of 7 its is a success but when 7 out of 7 leave upset, it is not a good situation at all.

• Visited November 2013

Texas
“Better experience than before”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I've eaten at The Blue Frog a couple of times and thought it only mediocre I the past but had a nice experience for dinner recently. Had Tuscan chicken and the flavors were nice but the chicken was tough. However the garlic polenta (okay, they called them grits) was amazing. Could have eaten a plateful happily. The buttermilk chocolate cake was one of the best desserts I've had. And our server Kelsey was a joy. Although she said she was new and maybe not as familiar with the menu, she had the skills of a very gracious server and helped make the meal a joy.

Visited October 2013
East Texas
“Our visit to the Blue Frrog Grill”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We were at the Blue Frog Grill in Marshall, TX in August, 2013. We wanted to try it as we had been by while checking out other restaurants in Marshall, TX listed on this site. I was not really impressed. We arrived just after their lunch rush and it seemed kind of lost, only one other group eating. My biggest downer was no adult beverages sold there...it's BYOB. I prefer a beer with my sit down meals and on occasion a glass of wine. If I had seen that on their web site I would have brought a beverage of my choice. The service was very attentive and the cook? and staff ( all I saw was the two) were friendly. The Food was very good when it finally arrived. My wife enjoyed her JoAnn's Chicken salad sandwich very much. I had the Yellow Fin Tuna and a small order of scalloped potatoes with a side salad ( the green beans had pork in them and were sold out). The fish was cooked perfect...medium well to well! It took so long though, they asked if we would like a complementary desert. I declined. It is to be expected some times... and as we were not in a hurry I was content to wait without complaining. Funny, they had a very limited menu and some items were sold out do to the lunch rush. I will not be dining there again... this restaurant did not fit me...at no fault of theirs.

• Visited August 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
“Very Good Downtown Place to Eat”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Kinda hard to find located downtown not a lot of parking but suffices. The food was very tasty, the
service was good, it was at lunch and there was a lot of business, I like the fact that they use a lot
of local grown foods the made in restaurant ketchup was delicious. If I am ever in Marshall again
will be back.

• Visited August 2013
“The Food Was Ok, The Service was REALLY Slow”
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

We went to visit a college in Marshall and were walking around the square when we happened upon the Blue Frog Grill. Two ladies were leaving and we asked them how the food was. They said it was so good that they were there last night and they came back the next day. We went in and I spotted homemade bread and was most pleaased. We went and sat down. There was only 1 waitress and she had to be new. There were only 3 tables of patrons and we waited 20 minutes for our drinks and 20 more minutes to order. It took almost 2 hours to finally get out of there.... I love a sleepy little town but I dont love having to spend the whole time in a restaurant and miss all of the fun going on outside... sigh...

Visited June 2013
1 Thank RetiredCoppers
BFG101, Owner at Blue Frog Restaurant and Catering, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Frog! I printed your review and did an immediate impromptu training with our front of the house staff! Which, if your review date was your dining date, was a new college student. None of us like hearing the negative experiences, however, if genuine they are typically needed and excellent opportunities to make us better. Good luck with your college search and should you find yourself in Marshall again I hope you'll stop by again. Bon Appetit - Shawne