“Never again” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Marshall
Buna, Texas
“Never again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Traveling and came in around 10PM just needing a few hours sleep before getting back on the road. Attendant was VERY rude. Our room appeared to be under construction. No light cover in restroom. Shades on lamp ripped. Sour odor. Phone would not dial out so we could order pizza. Husband was exhausted or we would have left. It does appear fairly clean.Guess this proves. .. Ya get what ya pay for :-/

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank TnTnS

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Osage Beach, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Booked online and the actual facility was not as represented on the website. It was obvious there was work being done to improve the motel but they should not have building supplies strewn about in hall ways over the weekend when no work was being done. Bathroom light fixture missing, old ratty lampshades, Missing ceiling tiles in lobby. The included continental breakfast was bad. Juice was sunny delight yuck, no fruit, stale mini muffins and donuts.
Partial renovation on the bathroom shower was nice but it was only partially done. Old tv and wifi did not work
Desk clerk at check in not friendly or helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Marshall hotels

Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

I give it a 2 because it did seem to have clean sheets. That is all. Bums hanging around. They must rent out to monthly & hourly tenants. It was so cold in the lobby and no lighting. You get very little in amenities. And you can't get anyone to come to the desk to help with anything. We had two towels & two washcloths for four people. No handtowels or bathmats at all. No coffee. The breakfast was frozen muffins but mo microwave to warm them. This was our third American Value Inn to stay in the last few months and they were all bad. I will never book one again. I had a value card so I was trying to see if they were all bad or just bad luck. I tore my card up because after three motels in three states and they only got worse, I would not use them again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Ludington, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here October 30, 2013 on our way to Texas from Michigan. Place was run down and filthy. It appears that some upgrades are in progress. Room was OK but the bathroom was very old and showed it! Desk clerk could not understand me and had to get help. Second clerk came out of the back with the door card machine in hand and had to hook it up in order to make a room key. Breakfast consisted of coffee from a Mr. Coffee pot and a few pastries. Certainly will not stay on the way back to Michigan. Have lost faith in all America's Best Value Inn's as we stayed in on the night before in Marion, Illinois that was just as bad if not worse!

Room Tip: Can't think of a thing that would assist in getting a good room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Pahrump, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

This is an older facility that is being renovated.

The room is nice. New carpet, newer bedding. Towels aren't big, but fresh and clean.

Wifi and breakfast included. Motel is nice close to several places to eat and near I-20.

I love it when the desk clerk hands me a cold bottle of water after a long, hot drive.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Yellowtrike
Amarillo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Though it needs some improvements/updates in the bathrooms, the bed was outrageously great and, and the carpet was fairly new and clean. the AC unit was having noise issues, but since it wasn't hot, so running it with just the fan worked great. the price was great!

Room Tip: On the backside, ground floor, near the pool
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Fort Smith
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

Serves me right for trying to save a few dollars, I suppose. From the outside, the hotel didn't look too bad, except a little bit on the old side. My troubles began almost the second I walked in the door.
First the clerk couldn't find my reservation, then she tried to charge me for my stay (I had pre-paid on-line). When I protested, she called the owner/manager who told me if I didn't pay, I wouldn't be allowed to stay. I told him I had pre-paid and he claimed they had no record my payment (I've filed a complaint with my credit card company)
I had requested ground floor since I walk with a cane, but the only rooms available were on Second floor with NO elevator. So I had to hobble up the stairs while dragging my suitcase behind me. The inside of the motel was filthy: the carpets were torn and stained. the ceiling had broken and stained tiles the emergency lights were broken, and only one working ice machine (downstairs, and it was filthy looking). None of the outside doors locked and were often left standing open and half the security cameras looked like they weren't working.
I was beginning to think I was in a homeless shelter as there were halfdressed people wandering the halls or simply sitting in the hall talking on their cell phones. Turns out it was just construction workers.
I finally found my room, but had a tough time getting the door open. Once, I did, I was surprised how clean the room looked. The pillows were, of course, flat but the room overall appeared decent and the bed was clean and relatively comfortable. The hotel itself was a filthy dump, yet the room was clean. The TV reception, however, was mediocre and the Wi-Fi was erratic...sometimes I could log-in, sometimes I couldn't.
There was plenty of hot water in the shower, but the towels were rather small prompting me to use a second one to get dry.
I could hear people all through the night wandering the hallways and occasionally hear someone from down the hall laughing or talking loudly. I tried to complain to the front desk, but nothing was ever done.
Breakfast was a joke: all the cereal was pre-sweetened (I can't eat pre-sweetened cereal), a toaster (but no bread), and a few mini-muffins. Oh, and there was juice, too. I guess the construction workers ate half the breakfast and no one bothered to restock it.
When I finally went to check out, I went by the desk, but no one was there. I called out "Hello?" with no response. I rang the bell for service and there was STILL no response. I finally just tossed my key on the desk and left.
Overall, a great disappointment to say the very least.

Room Tip: Go someplace else.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business