“Neighborhood Family Italian Bistro” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 445 Restaurants in McAllen
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
McAllen, Texas
“Neighborhood Family Italian Bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Pizza is excellent but my favorite is the Pollo D'Carlito. Also the Maxwell Style hot dog and the combination sandwich are great choices .When our children were in high school, we would eat there once a week or pick up. Now we take are grandkids for pizza. It truly is Mama's. The bistro is an addition to original family home. Excellent quality and reasonable prices.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank HotTexans

San Antonio
“Amazing good American-Italian Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is the quintessential Italian American restaurant. You know the place- you've been here in every smallish city/town in America. It doesn't disappoint.

The décor- is EXACTLY like 95% percent of this American staple- fake brick, the red banquets, etc. Not to take away from the experience because I think this IS part of the experience.

What does set this place apart? The food. Now, this is NOT chi-chi Italian food. You will recognize everything on the menu. I got the linguine alla puttanesca, my colleague got the cheese manicotti and another colleague got the spaghetti blanco with chicken. Everything looked fantastic. My puttanesca was SO. GOOD. It was a perfect bland of the anchovies, capers, olives and tomatoes over perfectly cooked linguine. I saved half of it and took it back for my evening meal. The bread served with it was perfunctory. Not a highlight but really, who is going to look down their noses at garlic bread except for super snobs. It tasted good, but I don't think it's homemade. Also definitely out of the freezer case is the mozzarella sticks. Again, not a huge deal but know what you're getting. We were given our order of mozzarella sticks because our order was delayed- they were slammed by a huge (24 person) lunch in the back room.

My colleague said the manicotti was light and fluffy with perfect shells. The sauce was thin and looked perfect. My other colleague very much enjoyed her meal, although she said she orders the same thing every time she comes. Hers came with nicely grilled chicken and what looked like extremely fresh vegetables.

I have to come back to McAllen quarterly and I sincerely hope that my colleagues decide that we need to eat lunch here again.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jloreine
“Amazingly delicious, great ambience with outdoor area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Let me start off with this location being in McAllen off of 10th street. We always managed to eat at the location located off of 495 in McAllen; however, we are new fans of this place. The pizza sticks are simply filling and can be split by two. The sangria was absolutely wonderful and there seemed to be a carafe with at least 6-7 glasses full with tons of fruit. Do try this! We had a party of 12 and placed the tables together to play some games outside. The outdoor dining is covered, but absolutely perfect. As for the food....it is like a deliciously home-cooked meal. Bravo to the staff and service. Pricing was very reasonable and was roughly priced at about $11 per plate. I would definitely recommend !!!!!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank kdelagarzawardell
“Great Pizza In The Valley!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Having read and heard all of the reviews of this restaurant, we decided to give it a try. Friends suggested the specialty pizza, which was delicious. It's the first time, after years of trying, that a pizzeria actually offered anchovies as a side.

The premises are small and quaint and they now have extra room for busy periods. We did notice one spider's web above our dining area.

All in all, the food quality is good but not exceptional. The pizzas are not cookie cutter but individual items. The prices charged are slightly higher than comparable restaurants.

Worth a visit but don't set your expectations too high. A solid recommendation for a good evening out.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Martin C
Edinburg, Texas, United States
“Great family place for dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Had a great dinner with the family. Place is small and cozy. The pepperoni and han pizza and side salad were great choice after my daughter's dance class.

• Visited December 2013