“Character”

Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in McAllen
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I simply needed a quiet retreat for a couple of nights after coming to town for a wedding and staying at a relatives house. Since this was priced just moderately above your usual Express-type hotel I decided a splurge a little and I am glad I did. While maybe not deserving of an Excellent rating outside of McAllen, it would certainly be a solid choice in even Dallas or Houston. The hotel is beautiful and the entrance leading up to the front door is eye candy and a very popular spot for photographers.

I am fairly low-key so I didn't request much in the way of service, but everyone I came across was polite. Since this is a historic hotel keep in mind that the rooms will vary in size - some may be on the tight side and some rooms have very poor views. As for the views, you're in McAllen...I doubt very many people spend much time looking out the window but if that's important to you it might be smart to make a request before checking in. The rooms facing the pool courtyard appear to be more appealing and larger. While some of the furnishings looked a little tired, the rooms themselves are updated, tastefully decorated, and comfortable. I am not very familiar with the neighborhood other than it's not glamorous but nonetheless a very close drive to nightlife and restaurants.

I know the common areas were recently renovated and I think it looks very fresh, modern, and crisp while keeping all the Spanish character that makes this hotel very unique and a stand-out from everything else in town. If you are looking for a hotel with character and a little out of the ordinary in McAllen, this is your home.

Room Tip: Since this is a historic hotel, some rooms are tight with poor views so I would call in advance if t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ShadyShores

Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel October 19-20th (1 night in a standard room, 1 night in the honeymoon suite). All I can say is this is a beautiful, historic hotel. In my opinion, I'm a local, this hotel is the best in McAllen. The service is great and the food is superb. The rooms are small but not crammed. I had breakfast included in the price of my room and it wasn't a cheap little muffin and coffee. The suite is pretty big but it's pretty standard ( everything you would need/ expect nothing you don't) still nothing to complain about there. Something I can complain about bell boys are not readily available and parking can be a challenge.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jossicag
Reviewed 9 November 2012

The VERY WORST part... is that when checking in with a military rate on Veterans day weekend - you received the very WORST room on the entire property (mind you - hotel was maybe 1/10th booked). One small window overlooking a barbed wire fence, ac unit view, train passes by to shake the fillings out of your molars and upper level parking garage landscape. Small, damp, no room to walk around. Dirty and sticky 'flyers' for the guests to look at, only two empty outlets in the whole room/bathroom.

I can't say how disappointed I am with the overall upkeep of this hotel. Phones didn't work (they fixed them, but then didn't answer when we tried to make a wakeup call all evening). Woke up both mornings with a stuffy nose and what felt like cold-like symptoms. Shuttle bus is a retrofitted ambulance that won't take you where you need to be. Massive fridge in the room (destroyed the decor & could barely walk around the bed), bug in water at the restaurant (only 1 other table booked on a Fri night at 7 p.m.), glasses we wouldn't drink our wine out of, view of a wall in a parking lot, worn out towles, remote only worked once every 10 times you pushed it, not good rental movie quality, humid room, no vent in the bathroom, constant construction and banging - don't think that you will be able to sleep in after 8 a.m., sewer smell when we came in the second night, and the worst... scared to death driving up the parking garage - up and down lanes in one small circular drive up, only one mirror on one floor to forsee if you are going to have a head on collision. You think they would warn you with signs or some sort of flashing light when people are on the drive so you don't assume you will be safe.

Good food in the restaurant - really tasted good - some of the best I have ever had (chef is great). Can't figure out why anyone would want to serve here as they wouldn't make any money. For the most part people were very kind, but its gotta be hard to please people when your property looks like this. Aveda products (nice) and toothpaste in bathroom.

So absolutely disappointed in this hotel that I am writing this laying in bed almost ready to check out in the middle of the night and drive 6 hours home early so we don't have to spend another night.

Hotel needs complete transformation - not just a front door or some new paint. Someone obviously came in and did some interior decorating in the lobby, but everything else looks as if it is falling apart. Spend some serious dough and shut this place down for two weeks and revamp the whole thing. Stop painting over the trim - and sand it off and re-paint. I kept saying to myself "just pretend I am in Europe at a hostel".

Worked for Marriotts in Houston for 3 years and another hotel chain. Would have never thought this was even allowed by the corporation.

Stay at a Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn - much better bang for your buck. Felt like we were staying at a motel 8 at best or a Mexican prison.

Nov 8 and 9 2012.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C P
sandyarnold, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

Dear Military Guest. First let me "Thank You for Your Service". We all need to make sure we show our gratitute to our men and women in the military. I must apologize for your experience and assure you that it is not typical and I have shared your comments with my team. Because of the historical nature of the hotel, yes some of our rooms are smaller than the newer hotels and yes being a downtown location, some of our room views are not as spectacular as others. I would very much like to have the opportunity to really show you a Renaissance Casa De Palmas experience so if you should like to contact me and we can discuss how we can make this right. I look forward to you connecting with me. Warmly, Sandy Arnold

Reviewed 8 November 2012

I booked my hotel room two weeks in advance and when I arrived to check in I was told that the hotel was "overbooked" and that there was no room for me. I was told there was no manager I could speak with. I simply don't find it reasonable for a hotel to overbook, if this was indeed the case.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank reynosabustraveler
sandyarnold, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

Dear reynosabustraveler,

First and foremost, I must apologize for the inconvenience of your unexpected relocation. Unfortunately we had several guests who decided to stay an extra evening with us and we were not able to contact them causing us to not have a room available for you.

Please allow us the opportunity to make it up to you when you are again in the McAllen area. Contact me directly and I will personally secure your room and add breakfast in the morning.

Again, we apologize for this unfortunate incident and look forward to serving you in the future.

Sandy Arnold, General Manager

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Absolutely super Hotel.Superb value.Friendly helpful staff.Very good quality food at a very reasonable cost. Super room.
Probably the best hotel we stayed in the USA during 25 day stay in the USA.Can not recommend

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vern616
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I have stayed at the Renaissance on three occasions, and I've been very pleased each time. Perhaps I am not a "seasoned business traveler" by the standards of my fellow reviewer Bill S., but I do travel for business from time to time, and I've found the Renaissance to be very comfortable. As many others have mentioned, it is an old property (though substantially remodeled through the years), and this means that certain aspects of the building--particularly the size of the the rooms and the elevators--will not quite be up to modern standards. But given the constraints of the building and the location (on a smallish lot in the old downtown area), the people at Marriott have done tremendous work in making the hotel a great place to stay. The furnishings are excellent, the TV has a true HD picture, and the staff has been very helpful. Unlike other commenters, I haven't found noise to be an issue at all. I would particularly like to compliment the room service dining - I have had at least one room service meal on each stay, and both the food and service are consistently excellent. The recent lobby renovations caused a slight inconvenience, but these are nearly complete and look to be a significant upgrade. I would especially recommend the hotel to those who have business in the federal court or one of the downtown office towers, as all are within walking distance. I look forward to staying at the Renaissance again if I should return to McAllen on business.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2012

The Casa de Palmas is an old hotel in the original downtown of McAllen, just brimming with charm. Over the years, as the hotel aged, its charm had faded and Doubletree corporation undertook a full remodel and update. Unfortunately, some of the work nullified the hotel's original charm. The centerpiece of the property is a large, lovely courtyard, which is still maintained but not showy. The hotel is adjacent to Archer Park, a nice, if small, green space. Free on-site parking is available in an adjacent garage. The hotel's restaurant continues to be a lunchtime favorite for locals. The problem with the renovation is that the natural "flow" of the hotel was interrupted. It's awkward to get to the elevator to the rooms, and the courtyard doesn't feature well in the décor of the first floor. Rooms are clean and comfortable, if predictable.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Scott H
sandyarnold, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Dear Scott,
Thank you for your constructive comments and observations. We appreciate that you have experienced our hotel and the restaurant being a local favorite. Please keep in mind our lobby renovation is not complete and we look forward to adding the touches to finish the effect. We do know that changing the decor from the old spanish style in the lobby to a more modern look would create some conversation but as a Renaissance Hotel, we accept change and Live Life To Discover. Our brand dictates the decor but let me assure you our people dictate the continued high level of service. We look forward to having you continue your visits to our hotel and know that the few updates we made were to the lobby areas only, the old Spanish charm still exists throughout the hotel and with our staff. Warmly, Sandy Arnold