“It Was Ok...”

Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in McAllen
“It Was Ok...”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

When you first see the hotel, it immediately has the appearance of a very charming / rustic facility. The accommodations - overall - for this business trip, were acceptable. Bed / bathroom / cleanliness / television all fine. Service and style at the restaurant were probably the highlight of this stay.

But I'm going to point out the parts I did not like. I did not like the fact that the air in my room felt damp... Nothing worse than waking up with a sore throat because of the air quality. Either the air system needs updating / or filters changed / something.

Additionally, I did NOT like the fact that my status as a Marriott member was neither noted in my reservation nor acknowledged during any portion of the stay. It's the little things... I'm on the road all the time... So to at least feel welcome means something... But I wasn't - no notice of my upper tier status - no offer of a free bottle of water - no breakfast coupon - no thank you for your continued participation - nothing. This dissatisfaction, I believe, can be attributed directly to the Front Desk who seemed bothered by both me checking in and then inquiring about why my status was not on the reservation.

On a more positive note, the hotel is very convenient. Easy to get pretty much anywhere from there... Best of all is the restaurant across the street - Salts... Unbelievably great... The draw of the restaurant would probably be enough to bring me back to the hotel... It was that good.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Leo P, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear VaA2Fargo2VA,

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor please accept my apologies for the shortcomings we provided during your most recent stay. We pride ourselves on providing our Marriott rewards members excellent service from the time they enter the building throughout their entire stay. I will work with the guest service representative that serviced you at check-in to ensure all of our guests are welcomed they way they deserve. Once again Thank you for your response and we look forward to servicing you again during your next visit to McAllen Texas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed two days for business and I couldn't be more pleased. This hotel if filled with charm and special touches. From the excellent breakfast to the pool to the amazing rooms, this is a gem of a hotel. The rooms are spacious enough, very clean and provide all the expected amenities. Great stay in McAllen.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Bedford
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed at the Renaissance Casa De Palmas,on a Saturday night, the hotel was everything I always imaged it would be like,(living in McAllen, all my life).
Its an older hotel transformed in a nice place to stay for 1-2 nights.
The parking garage is something to navigate, to the 3rd floor level. it is ok.

Room Tip: Labels in the hallways are hard to follow but are small signs to point the way to the rooms but=we m...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Sunnyvale CA
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was our layover hotel for Mcallen Tx.....the rooms where redone and are very nice...Rooms are clean and quiet...

I was available to get some food that afternoon....was very good....On Sunday there have free breadfast....I didn't go to the breadfast...

The staff was friendly and very professional....and the van drivers were great....very helpful..

I enjoy my stay at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael N
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

The rooms were OK but the noise and sewer smell was a distractor. The food was above average. The staff was courteous. Try staying on the first floor away from the garage. The location is fine but not near the airport. Rates are better at other places where you can eat breakfast for free.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Pedro C
Laredo, Texas
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I know this review is about two months late, but I wanted to warn people about this place.

Our family of four stayed at this hotel for one night in November. When I made my reservations online, I entered that there would be four people staying. I was given the option for a king size bed and presumed that there was a sofa bed, since I had put four people (common sense). Unfortunately, the hotel and I have a different opinion of what common sense is. After checking in, my family and I parked and went up to our room. In the room was one king bed. I figured there was some type of mistake and went downstairs to the lobby. The clerk explained that only their king suites have the sofa beds. I couldn't (and still can't) understand how a hotel website can ask you how many people will be staying and then give you a room for 2 or 3 when you put 4. Considering that we were tired from our road trip and it was late, I opted to pay more for a suite.
I wish I could say that our room was so spectacular and totally well worth the price, but I can't. To begin with, the hallways on the second floor leading to the room smelled like wet animals. The room itself was totally outdated and needed a new carpet. The bathroom was as outdated as the rest of the place and tiny. The sofa bed didn't even have sheets and so I called the front desk. After two phone calls and an hour waiting, I finally placed some extra blankets that we had brought over the bed and my kids used their own pillows. Throughout the night, it was impossible to sleep with all the noise from other guests upstairs and the noise from partygoers in the streets.
Needless to say, I will not be staying at this hotel again. It may be a good location for people looking to go bar hopping in McAllen, but it’s not a place for a family of four going to a cheerleading competition bright and early in the morning. I stayed here to add more hotel reward points to my account, but I can't even say it was worth it or pleasant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MiMercado
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 3 January 2014

On 12/14/13 I booked 2 rooms on line. Two hours later I cancelled the reservation on line. I provided my email address but didn't receive a Room Reservation Confirmation or a Room Cancellation, therefore I assumed that the reservation didn't go trough. Today 01/03/14 after checking my Credit Card Statement I noticed that my credit card was charged for the two rooms ($250.70). I called the Hotel and spoke with Elsa Lira and she said that they charged the full amount for the two rooms because I didn't cancel the reservation. They are located in McAllen, TX and during this time of the year all the hotels in that area are sold out. No doubt in my mind that the two rooms were sold to other guests. For all the above I think this is a Rip-off and will dispute the charge with my credit card company and will complain to the Federal Trade Commission.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business