“Relaxing room.”

Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in McAllen
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Saturday night stay. Room is comfortable, we have a courtyard room, the balcony is so pleasant overlooking the pool. People across the courtyard on their balcony were loud, but can't anyone have a good time today? People using the pool as well. Relax and enjoy the vibe. Very comfortable bed and well appointed room. Other reviews said the carpet smelled, but I am sensitive to such things and have no complaints. Air temp was comfortable and the room is well set up. We are staying tonight and may stay Monday night. Also, we would stay again if we are back in the area. Noticed that the flight attendants and pilots stay here, so they must be getting much needed rest.
I did notice that the parking lot is confusing, but once one sees how it is laid out, no problem. The entrance to the parking lot is not from the street, but from the half circle drive of the Hotel. The second and third floor of the lot is for guests. The entrance and exit is the same drive. It is important to know that!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a balcony room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Leo P, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Janie,

Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel. I am very please that you had enjoyed your stay with us. We take a lot of pride in our facility and our delighted to see that our guest's enjoy themselves while staying at our hotel. Once again thank you and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Best regards,
Leo P.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

When you first see the hotel, it immediately has the appearance of a very charming / rustic facility. The accommodations - overall - for this business trip, were acceptable. Bed / bathroom / cleanliness / television all fine. Service and style at the restaurant were probably the highlight of this stay.

But I'm going to point out the parts I did not like. I did not like the fact that the air in my room felt damp... Nothing worse than waking up with a sore throat because of the air quality. Either the air system needs updating / or filters changed / something.

Additionally, I did NOT like the fact that my status as a Marriott member was neither noted in my reservation nor acknowledged during any portion of the stay. It's the little things... I'm on the road all the time... So to at least feel welcome means something... But I wasn't - no notice of my upper tier status - no offer of a free bottle of water - no breakfast coupon - no thank you for your continued participation - nothing. This dissatisfaction, I believe, can be attributed directly to the Front Desk who seemed bothered by both me checking in and then inquiring about why my status was not on the reservation.

On a more positive note, the hotel is very convenient. Easy to get pretty much anywhere from there... Best of all is the restaurant across the street - Salts... Unbelievably great... The draw of the restaurant would probably be enough to bring me back to the hotel... It was that good.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Leo P, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear VaA2Fargo2VA,

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor please accept my apologies for the shortcomings we provided during your most recent stay. We pride ourselves on providing our Marriott rewards members excellent service from the time they enter the building throughout their entire stay. I will work with the guest service representative that serviced you at check-in to ensure all of our guests are welcomed they way they deserve. Once again Thank you for your response and we look forward to servicing you again during your next visit to McAllen Texas

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed two days for business and I couldn't be more pleased. This hotel if filled with charm and special touches. From the excellent breakfast to the pool to the amazing rooms, this is a gem of a hotel. The rooms are spacious enough, very clean and provide all the expected amenities. Great stay in McAllen.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed at the Renaissance Casa De Palmas,on a Saturday night, the hotel was everything I always imaged it would be like,(living in McAllen, all my life).
Its an older hotel transformed in a nice place to stay for 1-2 nights.
The parking garage is something to navigate, to the 3rd floor level. it is ok.

Room Tip: Labels in the hallways are hard to follow but are small signs to point the way to the rooms but=we m...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was our layover hotel for Mcallen Tx.....the rooms where redone and are very nice...Rooms are clean and quiet...

I was available to get some food that afternoon....was very good....On Sunday there have free breadfast....I didn't go to the breadfast...

The staff was friendly and very professional....and the van drivers were great....very helpful..

I enjoy my stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael N
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

The rooms were OK but the noise and sewer smell was a distractor. The food was above average. The staff was courteous. Try staying on the first floor away from the garage. The location is fine but not near the airport. Rates are better at other places where you can eat breakfast for free.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Pedro C
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I know this review is about two months late, but I wanted to warn people about this place.

Our family of four stayed at this hotel for one night in November. When I made my reservations online, I entered that there would be four people staying. I was given the option for a king size bed and presumed that there was a sofa bed, since I had put four people (common sense). Unfortunately, the hotel and I have a different opinion of what common sense is. After checking in, my family and I parked and went up to our room. In the room was one king bed. I figured there was some type of mistake and went downstairs to the lobby. The clerk explained that only their king suites have the sofa beds. I couldn't (and still can't) understand how a hotel website can ask you how many people will be staying and then give you a room for 2 or 3 when you put 4. Considering that we were tired from our road trip and it was late, I opted to pay more for a suite.
I wish I could say that our room was so spectacular and totally well worth the price, but I can't. To begin with, the hallways on the second floor leading to the room smelled like wet animals. The room itself was totally outdated and needed a new carpet. The bathroom was as outdated as the rest of the place and tiny. The sofa bed didn't even have sheets and so I called the front desk. After two phone calls and an hour waiting, I finally placed some extra blankets that we had brought over the bed and my kids used their own pillows. Throughout the night, it was impossible to sleep with all the noise from other guests upstairs and the noise from partygoers in the streets.
Needless to say, I will not be staying at this hotel again. It may be a good location for people looking to go bar hopping in McAllen, but it’s not a place for a family of four going to a cheerleading competition bright and early in the morning. I stayed here to add more hotel reward points to my account, but I can't even say it was worth it or pleasant.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family