“Been in Better Renaissance and Marriott Full Service”

Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel
Ranked #17 of 42 Hotels in McAllen
Huntsville, Alabama
“Been in Better Renaissance and Marriott Full Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

The room was freezing cold when we first walked in - it was 40° outside and the doors to the courtyard did not close well so the room was 60°. We had to pull the curtains closed and use towels on the floor to help heat the room. The room had one brick wall, which is a touch I like. The room (a courtyard king) was almost square and had plenty of space to walk around. There were two easy chairs and plenty of space for luggage. The bed was very comfortable and the linens soft the cozy. The bathroom area had two sinks which was nice but both counters were very, very low which made using them a tad uncomfortable. The concierge lounge was average in the evening and morning with nothing special to make it stand out from other Marriott lounges. My overall impression was that the hotel is about two years overdo for a major remodel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
mariwes, Front Office Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear AGoingGal,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfacton Survey and sharing your experience withe Casa De Palmas Rennaisance McAllen Hotel. I opologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You are a value customer; everything we do is aimed at providing your with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future. We want to ensure your satisfaction the next time you stay with us. Please contact me directly when your are ready to make your next reservation.

Needless to say, we appreciate your loyalty and we would like to regain your trust. We hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when you travel back to this area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

If you are staying in McAllen, this is a must stay place. The Renaissance is a historic hotel. Today it offers ALL the conveniences of a modern hotel in a setting built for well-healed railroad travelers. They would depart the train and walk a steps to The Renaissance. It is a special hotel.

It was built in an era where air flow was important. There are large French doors and tall windows. The Renaissance invites one to sit in the lobby and think back to a time when travel was a luxury.

When the Renaissance was built in a era when a "room" was for sleeping. One was expected to sit in the lobby, in a courtyard or around the pool. Large amounts of space were dedicated for travelers to congregate. This open space remains. It "invites" one to get out of the "room". When traveling with a family or friends, the ability to meet in the lobby or courtyard, is especially nice.

For the business traveler, The Renaissance has all the features expected for the modern day traveler: a restaurant, a workout room, business center, etc.

The court yards have large trees and palms that are most likely 100 years old. At each end of the courtyard for the pool are three large palm trees that are taller than the three story Renaissance.

A "funny" note about misspelling: In the court yard for the entrance is a "Kiglea" tree. One notices that it is "different". At first look one assumes it is a banyan tree. Walk to the tree and there is a plaque that looks to be 100 years old. The "Kiglea" tree is describe as being a sacred tree from Madagascar. Google "Kiglea tree Mcallen" and a picture of the tree at the Renaissance comes up. Google "Kiglea" and the correct spelling of the tree comes up, "Kigelia" or sausage tree comes up. Some misspellings last longer than others.

The staff was EXTREMELY pleasant. During our stay, Brenda was on duty. She is the definition of what courtesy, service and accommodation should be. Her tone is much more than one expects from the front desk. She easily would switch from English to Spanish as though each language was her first language. Just as an example of how accommodating she was. When we were checking out, the luggage carts were all in use. She offered to have one brought to the when they were finished. She knew us by name and room number. Of course, it might have helped that there were kids that had been making charges to the room all weekend, so it isn't like we were strangers. She made our stay more enjoyable.

This truly is a fun place to stay.

It was, "My Pleasure to Stay at the Renaissance in McAllen".

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Herschel S
Cedar Park, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I've been coming to south Texas primarily for business, but also for pleasure. I've stayed at most of the top hotels in Harlingen, Brownsville, McAllen & South Padre Island, and the Casa de Palmas is by far the best. The people is what makes this a "home away from home". It's also a Historical hotel. If you have a problem, the GM, Leo, will make sure it's taken care of. If you want a drink, the bar tender, Danny, will take care of you and make recommendations for every type of food and entertainment you want. Bottom line, if you have to stay anywherw near McAllen TX, stay at the Renaissance Casa de Palmas Historical Hotel.

Stayed March 2014
Leo P, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Bluegoldcharlie,

Thank you for your most recent review of our Renaissance Casa De Palmas Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoy your stay with us when you visit McAllen Texas. We pride ourselves on providing our guest with comfort and offering exceptional service for our guests during their stay.
Once again thank you and we look forward to serving you again during your next visit to McAllen Texas.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for over 4 years every other week. I can not say enough good things about this hotel and their staff/services.

This is in my opinion this is the best hotel available to business travelers. The staff understand the role they play in making our stay enjoyable and as much like a home environment as possible. I am always greater with a smile and by name. The check-in process is quick and efficient. The lobby was renovated about 1 year ago and. Is great. Wonderful place to grab a drink or some appetizers. The bartenders are very friendly. The restaurant is located next to the bar. The waitstaff is 2nd to none. The menu was recently redone and I order something different every time. Rarely do I ever leave the hotel after I arrive for this reason.

The pool was recently redone as we'll and is beautiful. In the summer months, you will find people enjoying it and sunbathing. I highly recommend a room with a balcony. The pool at night is gorgeous and so relaxing to sit on your private balcony and relax.

The beds are so comfortable that I think I sleep better there then at home. I get a good night's rest every time.

There is also a private garage connected to the hotel which is very convenient and much safer.

One of the things I really like about this hotel is that the management staff is visible. Many nights you will see the hotel manager talking to customers and really listening to them. He takes great pride in his hotel and the changes that continue to put it above all the rest.

The mall is very closes s well as access to downtown McAllen which has many delicious places to eat.

The exercise room has 3 treadmills, 2 cross trainers, bench, weights, balls, and a bike.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Leo P, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Tippyturtle,

Thank you for the wonderful review from your recent visit to our hotel. I am very pleased that we were able to accommodate you with great service during your stay. We take a lot of pride in our staffs performance with our guest in making them feel special. Once again thank you for staying with us and we will look forward to serving you again in the future during your next visit to McAllen.

Darien, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Saturday night stay. Room is comfortable, we have a courtyard room, the balcony is so pleasant overlooking the pool. People across the courtyard on their balcony were loud, but can't anyone have a good time today? People using the pool as well. Relax and enjoy the vibe. Very comfortable bed and well appointed room. Other reviews said the carpet smelled, but I am sensitive to such things and have no complaints. Air temp was comfortable and the room is well set up. We are staying tonight and may stay Monday night. Also, we would stay again if we are back in the area. Noticed that the flight attendants and pilots stay here, so they must be getting much needed rest.
I did notice that the parking lot is confusing, but once one sees how it is laid out, no problem. The entrance to the parking lot is not from the street, but from the half circle drive of the Hotel. The second and third floor of the lot is for guests. The entrance and exit is the same drive. It is important to know that!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a balcony room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Leo P, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Janie,

Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel. I am very please that you had enjoyed your stay with us. We take a lot of pride in our facility and our delighted to see that our guest's enjoy themselves while staying at our hotel. Once again thank you and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

When you first see the hotel, it immediately has the appearance of a very charming / rustic facility. The accommodations - overall - for this business trip, were acceptable. Bed / bathroom / cleanliness / television all fine. Service and style at the restaurant were probably the highlight of this stay.

But I'm going to point out the parts I did not like. I did not like the fact that the air in my room felt damp... Nothing worse than waking up with a sore throat because of the air quality. Either the air system needs updating / or filters changed / something.

Additionally, I did NOT like the fact that my status as a Marriott member was neither noted in my reservation nor acknowledged during any portion of the stay. It's the little things... I'm on the road all the time... So to at least feel welcome means something... But I wasn't - no notice of my upper tier status - no offer of a free bottle of water - no breakfast coupon - no thank you for your continued participation - nothing. This dissatisfaction, I believe, can be attributed directly to the Front Desk who seemed bothered by both me checking in and then inquiring about why my status was not on the reservation.

On a more positive note, the hotel is very convenient. Easy to get pretty much anywhere from there... Best of all is the restaurant across the street - Salts... Unbelievably great... The draw of the restaurant would probably be enough to bring me back to the hotel... It was that good.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Leo P, General Manager at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear VaA2Fargo2VA,

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor please accept my apologies for the shortcomings we provided during your most recent stay. We pride ourselves on providing our Marriott rewards members excellent service from the time they enter the building throughout their entire stay. I will work with the guest service representative that serviced you at check-in to ensure all of our guests are welcomed they way they deserve. Once again Thank you for your response and we look forward to servicing you again during your next visit to McAllen Texas
Bridgewater, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed two days for business and I couldn't be more pleased. This hotel if filled with charm and special touches. From the excellent breakfast to the pool to the amazing rooms, this is a gem of a hotel. The rooms are spacious enough, very clean and provide all the expected amenities. Great stay in McAllen.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business