“Fabulous hotel, wonderful staff.”

Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in McAllen
Temple, Texas
“Fabulous hotel, wonderful staff.”
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I'm extremely picky about hotels; Renaissance Casa de Palmas has never let us down. It is clean, quaint and has a beautiful charm. The staff are very accommodating. The rooms are decorated with color, and wonderful bed linens. I recommend a room with a balcony that looks over the center of the hotel; in the evenings you can open the balcony door and hear faint music, that usually ends around 9 or 10pm. They have a free shuttle that will take you to nearby locations, which is very convenient. If you want to experience comfort with Spanish charm, they is the place to stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank cvasquez804

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Four Corners, Florida
Reviewed 3 January 2011

My wife and I spent two nights there over the New Year holiday to attend the memorial service for her father. Not the happiest of occasions, but the hotel made a difficult trip as pleasant as possible. Our room overlooked the courtyard and was spacious and very clean. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant. However, I was a bit surprised to find ashtrays placed on each balcony since the hotel advertises itself to be 100% smoke free!

As we had been going to the Valley for several years to visit her dad, I only wish we had known about this hotel earlier. It sure beats the cookie-cutter motels you find on the highway.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DamienHarveston
Houston
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Our stay got off to a dismal start. The front desk on the evening shift was less than accomodating, almost bored. The stay was saved by when the front desk manager Ms.Casanova became involved and provided excellent and courteous service. The rooms in the first floor not facing the courtyard are at street level. and are tiny at best..Glass windows and outdated locks provide inadequate security.The food at the hotel was excellent, as was the room service. .The general manager called the following day and was most gracious.and helpful.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
macole90, Director of Sales at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2010
We are sorry that your stay got off to a rocky start but glad our Front Office Manager was able to help "Save the Day". I am glad that you got to experience our wonderful dining options and the enjoyed the Spanish Nuevo Cuisine that we are know for. As a historic hotel we offer many different room types. You enjoyed one of our standard rooms, while smaller has been appointed with all the luxuries you come to expect from a Renaissance Hotel. Our hotel is on schedule to a renovation to the public areas and the windows on the first floor will be addressed at that time upon approval from National Register of Historic Places. We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Casa De Palmas the next time you are visiting the Rio Grande Valley. I would also like you to know that our front desk staff has started undergoing re-training so that every guests experience is the same that Ms. Casanova provided.
Austin, TX
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I've been to McAllen dozens of times but never had the chance to stay here until recently.

The things I liked about this hotel are:
Away from the highway.
Great lobby.
Great service.
Clean rooms.

This hotel is old. In my opinion there needs to be some remodeling and repainting done in many of the areas. In addition, the shower wasn't that great. It was adequate at best. I did enjoy having water in my room and all of my usual Marriott requests.

I will more than likely stay here the next time I visit McAllen. It's a welcome change from the cookie cutter hotels near the highway.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
macole90, Director of Sales at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review following your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and especially when you point out areas of improvement. I would like to let you know that upgrading the areas of concern have already started taking place. We are currently upgrading our fitness center, hallways and public areas so the next time you visit we hope your stay will extraordinary.

Your patronage is very much appreciated as we do realize you had a choice in hotels when planning your trip to McAllen. We look forward to the possibility of welcoming you back to the Casa De Palmas in the not too distant future.

Laredo, TX
Reviewed 6 April 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night on Easter weekend, and had a really great experience! The hotel was very easy to find, and right near the downtown area, close to shopping and restaurants. Staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is a bit older, but has a great historic feel to it. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the courtyard, which is just beautiful! The room itself was very large and roomy, with a sitting area inside, and outside. We had the breakfast buffet on Sunday morning in the restaurant, which was just ok. The food they had was good, there just wasn't a very big selection. Overall, we had a really wonderful experience here, and would definately stay again!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time on submitting a review of our hotel following your most recent stay. It certainly is appreciated. Your kind words about the hotel, food and especially our location will be shared with all. Please know due to guests like you we have made improvements to our selection offered on our breakfast buffets. If and when your travels bring you to McAllen in the near future, we trust we will once again have the opportunity of being of service.

juniormint1111
Reviewed 18 March 2010

My company frequently stays at the Casa (as we like to call it). Personally, this will be my 5th time staying at the hotel. Each stay gets better and better. My first time staying at the hotel I was up in what I am assuming to be the worst location in the hotel (I guess thats what you get when you are paying the government rate). My room had shutters that were all too small for the window that overlooked the "scenic" parking garage lower level. To the left of my room was the service entrance that had constant traffic the entire stay. My room felt small and cramped and I did not feel safe at all. And as an added bonus because I was on the side near the parking garage, I had the lovely and unpredicatable sound of the freight train waking me up at all hours. Not so great.

My next stay I was placed in a room that had a "courtyard view" that actually didn't. This was the first room on the bottom floor so I had beautiful french doors that overlooked a freshly painted cement wall. Because with those french doors because it is easy to lock yourself out if you venture out to the courtyard. If you do that, they will have to come and saw the lock off your door which they were kind enough to do for me. Still this room was slightly bigger than the cell I was in the first trip.

The third stay at this hotel was better. I was placed in a room on the second floor that overlooked the street. Nothing fancy about this room, but the soundtrack from the couple that were filming their own erotic movie every night below me could have been skipped.

My fourth stay actually made me quite mad at first. My coworker pleaded with my favorite front desk guy, Roy (you are awesome!) and he gave me a room on the third floor. OMG...as soon as I walked into that room I felt cheated from all of the other sad attempts at a decent room before. This room was spacious, airy, and beautiful french doors that opened up to a large balcony that overlooked their courtyard. The seating area was lovely. Trust me. It is worth paying the extra dollars for a courtyard view.

The staff at the Casa is wonderful. The food is also great, but a little costly. Nice location too!

Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your candid comments pertaing to your most recent stay. Feedback such as yours is very important to us. As you are aware we are a historical hotel offering various room types. While not all rooms match others we attempt to make everyones stay enjoable. I am happy that you finally found a room to meet your needs and thank you for rave reviews regarding our wonderful staff and food. Roy is indeed one of many superstars here and I will pass along your glowing review.

Your patronage is appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Casa De Palmas in the not too distant future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 February 2010

The "boss" and I are enjoying our third stay at the Ren de Palmas. Mcallen, like most of smaller town US, has evolved into incessant strip malls of various lengths and magnitudes. Residing at the Palmas is a relaxing, quiet pleasure. Besides being an historical, architectual, tastefully decorated and landscaped gem, it is proximate to what medium sized towns in US used to be. One can enjoy an expertly prepared breakfast at the hotel or stroll across a block over to a vibrant area of quaint albeit lower end shops of various descriptions from Barbers to banks etc. (some exceptions like the only JC Penney in a CBD in the US to enjoy a delicious Mexican breakfast. There is also the nearby 17th Street Entertainment District, which was totally nuts as we drove by from the airport last night at midnight.
If you enjoy the chain restaurant scene, stay out near the airport. If you would like to indulge in some quality, concerned service (anything that went awry during our visits was immediately dealt with and comped) and a bit of nostalgia, you would be well served at the Casa de Palmas and the surrounding neighborhood..

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank satrax
macole90, Director of Sales and Marketing at Casa De Palmas Renaissance McAllen Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2010
Thank you very much for taking time to write such a wonderful review. I am glad to hear that your visits to our hotel have been so plesant. It is loyal guests like yourself that have come to enjoy everything a historic hotel like ours has to offer. There is always something new to be discovered when you stay at the Renaissance Casa De Palmas. Thank you for business and we are looking forward to your return.