“Very nice hotel.”

Ranked #3 of 42 Hotels in McAllen
Houston
“Very nice hotel.”
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I reserved the room at the last minute. I was very happy when I arrived. The hotel lobby was very nice. The view of the pool from the lobby was beautiful and made me want to take a dip in the pool, even though I usually don't wim. We were upgraded to a suite since I was a priority member. I was very happy with the room. The suite was very clean and spacious.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 October 2012 via mobile

Hotel was very clean and staff was helpful. The rooms appear the be recently renovated. Bed and pillows were new and comfortable. Had a small issue while checking in, but it was resolved. For the trouble they upgraded my room. Great stay. I'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I stay here on every business visit to McAllen. So I was a bit disheartened to see the service and cleanliness sliding on this visit. Sadly, if it keeps deteriorating, I'll have to find another option when I'm in the area.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My company had an event at the convention center, so I booked rooms for 35 people here. We all liked the hotel, especially those of us who got upgraded to the suites. The grounds were nice and well kept. The rooms were a bit dated, but overall they were fine.

Our group especially loved the free beer during happy hour... but who doesnt love free beer right?

The mattresses are VERY hard at this holiday inn, so bring your own pillow to help balance it out :-)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
memphis
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We were in McAllen for a wedding, and the reception was at this hotel, so it made sense to simply stay here. The rooms were pretty clean, and well maintained. The pool was very nice. The free breakfast had plenty of options. There is a lot of traffic around the hotel, but that also means there is plenty of shopping and eating also nearby.

The bed was really hard, if we were staying longer than 2 nights it might have become an issue. The checkout process was not great, the gentleman at the front desk was on the phone and had me wait for about 5 minutes before telling his friend he had to go and check someone out. In addition, I booked 4 rooms for myself and other family, and for some reason no one could give me a total price. They kept saying I had to wait until checkout. I made it clear multiple times that I was covering the rooms, but they still sent the final receipt to the wrong room. This part of my experience was probably an isolated occurrence.

In general, not a bad place, especially if you don't know your way around and want to be in the middle of things. Much of the shopping and popular dining seems to be on 10th street, so it is easy to get around. OH, and if you happen to be here, stop by the HEB Plus in Pharr...the agua fresca bar is amazing!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Smart iStay Hotel in McAllen, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear rosechase,

Thank you for leaving a review at our property. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guests to stay. I am glad you liked the location, cleanliness of the rooms, pool amenity and choices for breakfast. I am disappointed to hear that the bed was not comfortable. Please accept our apologies due to the fact that our Front Office staff were not able provide the total cost of all rooms and check out process was lengthy.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction.

Best Regards,

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I was here every week for most of 6 months. The staff was always very courtious. the rooms are spacious and well kept. We where taken care of very well by the staff. It was a very nice stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 16 May 2012

The group loved it. Outstanding staff that went above and beyond catering to our every needs. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance and shopping centers. Excellent indoor and outdoor pools. The rooms were superb and very nicely kept. The hotel grounds just beautiful period. Ms. Mary Hernandez and are staff should be commended for a job very well done. Upper management should be very proud of them.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business