Wingate By Wyndham McAllen Airport
US$92
SpringHill Suites
US$92
Courtyard
Motel 6 McAllen East(McAllen)(Great Value!)
US$52
US$48
US$85
US$116
US$97
US$87
Agoda.com
Studio 6 McAllen(McAllen)(Great Value!)
US$57
US$49
US$82
US$79
Staybridge.com
US$87
US$98
Priceline
All reviewsfront deskshopping mallairport conveniencesuperior customer serviceearlier this weekwednesday eveningremodeled roomshort walkcomfortable bedsstayed for one nightgreat sleepwaffle makerlarge mallfamily stayan updateroom was largewaffles
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I use the hotel when I have co-workers come to McAllen. I like the proximity to the airport and usually am the one who makes the reservations for them. Because of this I am not the one who stays in the hotel, but my co-workers. I was recently treated by one of the employees like a second class citizen because I did not stay in the hotel, therefore did not merit receiving the attention usually done for guests. (We use their conference room for meetings, pay full price!)
Staff had left food for employees in the cafeteria area (public area) and when I helped myself to a serving an employee came and said that the food was for the employees only. Why they had their food in the guest area is unknown and certainly very unprofessional.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Spent a week on a business trip and found the staff and hotel to be superb! Management and staff all friendly, but especially the breakfast staff! They will help you by making your waffles! I felt like royalty!

Meeting rooms nicely equipped with the latest gadgets and on Thursdays the staff gives a little treat for the guests (nice hot wings!).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Visited Feb 23.

Room was large and spacious. Had king size bed, microwave, small fridge.

Vey clean.

The night we were there, they had a free happy hour but we didn't partake. Staff was friendly and recommended some local restaurants.

Free breakfast included eggs & bacon.

Pool was small but we didn't use.

Would definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

On the surface this hotel has what most people need for a short trip. Clean, comfortable, and spacious rooms; micro-fridge; in-room safe; laundry services; complimentary wi-fi and breakfast; and of course the biggest perk, just across the parking lot from the airport. There were even a couple surprises...like the complimentary afternoon/evening hot hor d'oeuvres (swedish meatballs, wings, springs rolls) which I didn't remember seeing advertised. There is a mall easily walkable from the hotel as well as a couple sit-down restaurants. I arrived and was very pleased with the appearance of the hotel and everything looked great on the surface.

That's not to say I had a terrible stay...and I'm normally pretty easily pleased. Its just that little things started adding up that took away from what otherwise would be a slam dunk.

Wi-Fi signal on the third floor was very weak...really unsuitable if you're doing anything more than a quick e-mail check. There is wired access however that was for the most part reliable. Several vending machines were out of order...and what was working had limited selection. The alarm clock in my room was 55 minutes slow...and I couldn't figure out how to adjust it. I inquired at the front desk...they said a screwdriver was needed to adjust the time. Another clock wouldn't solve the problem since once plugged in it would just flash 12:00. Their suggestion? Just set the alarm 55 late. Problem solved! The room was spacious...but due to the layout, one of the two beds was literally blocking the heat/ac unit. When I got into the room, the temperature was comfortable...but the thermostat was also set to 63 degrees. I slept on the other bed, away from the unit, and found it would get rather warm, the unit would kick on...then it would overcompensate and get rather chilly. It was hard to get it to maintain a relatively constant temperature. Plus, if you have multiple guests, I'm sure the person stuck right next to the unit will be freezing the whole night. The inability to keep the fan running on the unit all night was frustrating as well...because when the unit shut off...it shut off totally, leaving me to be able to hear guests in adjacent rooms or in the hallway. Long story short, despite comfortable beds...I didn't get a great sleep either night. Lastly...breakfast is not what its made out to be by some reviews on this site. It's your run of the mill complimentary hot breakfast...nothing above the ordinary.

All that said, would I recommend the hotel? Yes...but strictly out of convenience. If you don't have a rental car or don't want to take a taxi...you can't beat the 5-minute walk from the airport. Be prepared for some small kinks...and if you're really picky, you might want to look into alternatives before settling here.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Wow, I really enjoyed staying at this hotel! We were traveling to McAllen for a week-long conference and we were on a restricted budget, so I was a tad nervous about accommodations. I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and booked our stay at the Wingate by Wyndham, McAllen.

It is very clean and super convenient... the airport is across the street! That said, we were never disturbed by airplane noise when we were in our room. I slept really well each night... the beds are divine!
There is a mini-fridge and microwave in each room which we loved!

The hotel staff are super friendly and helpful. They were happy to give us dining advice and directions, more than once. This hotel is also very convenient to everything we needed... shopping, restaurants, sightseeing... We had a blast (when we weren't working) and we never went more than 10 miles from our hotel! In fact, there is an ENORMOUS, very nice mall directly behind the hotel.

I have to say though, that the complimentary breakfast buffet was my favorite! Real eggs and bacon, fresh fruit, and a Texas-shaped Belgian waffle for breakfast every day kept me going through hours of lectures. We are already planning on staying here again for next year's conference!
PS: I did not have my children with me on this trip, but I must say, the pool area was very nice (lovely!) for a business-class hotel. I plan to take advantage of that next year! ;)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business