“Pleasantly Surprised!!”

Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in McAllen
Louisiana
“Pleasantly Surprised!!”
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Wow, I really enjoyed staying at this hotel! We were traveling to McAllen for a week-long conference and we were on a restricted budget, so I was a tad nervous about accommodations. I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and booked our stay at the Wingate by Wyndham, McAllen.

It is very clean and super convenient... the airport is across the street! That said, we were never disturbed by airplane noise when we were in our room. I slept really well each night... the beds are divine!
There is a mini-fridge and microwave in each room which we loved!

The hotel staff are super friendly and helpful. They were happy to give us dining advice and directions, more than once. This hotel is also very convenient to everything we needed... shopping, restaurants, sightseeing... We had a blast (when we weren't working) and we never went more than 10 miles from our hotel! In fact, there is an ENORMOUS, very nice mall directly behind the hotel.

I have to say though, that the complimentary breakfast buffet was my favorite! Real eggs and bacon, fresh fruit, and a Texas-shaped Belgian waffle for breakfast every day kept me going through hours of lectures. We are already planning on staying here again for next year's conference!
PS: I did not have my children with me on this trip, but I must say, the pool area was very nice (lovely!) for a business-class hotel. I plan to take advantage of that next year! ;)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Minnesota
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We stayed at this hotel because of it's close proximity to the airport. It is literally across the street. We had a 5:30 AM flight and we just walked accross the street to the main entrance. It isn't more than a block. The rooms were very nice, clean, spacious, quiet; very comfortable. The pool area is small, but is nice. The hot tub is indoors. The breakfast is one of the best we've had. There were waffles (make yourself, not frozen), eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, bagels, juice, etc.
Overall, we were very impressed by this hotel and would definately recommend it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
somewhere out there
Reviewed 3 January 2009

stayed for one night at this hotel in late December. I have paid more for higher quality hotels and not had such a good experience as I did at the Wingate. The hotel is walking distance from the airport (5 minutes MAX, and that's if you are a slow walker) and right next to the mall (Dillards, to me at least, was the closest entrance to the mall). The main strip with Old Navy, Starbucks etc. is kind of far away, but still within walking distance if you were going to walk through the mall. It is not as centrally located as some of the other hotels to shopping places, but for the price and the amenities it can't be beat!

The beds are incredibly comfortable, and the free wireless and continental breakfast are great perks.

The only "complaints" I would have would be that the stairs are a wee bit hard to find and the elevator wasn't immediately evident but I think that's more of an issue with me than anything.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank travelinglil
New York, NY
Reviewed 17 December 2008

I stayed at this hotel twice this year for business purposes. My colleague and I were actually checking out the hotel in October for possible stay in December for a larger business trip with more staff. On the plus side: hot breakfast every morning (bacon, eggs, cereal, fruit, waffles), Wednesday free Happy Hour, location is literally across from the airport and not noisy at all, also right across from La Plaza Mall, easy to access major highway to get you to other places, very close to other restuarants, an adequate business center, adequate fitness room (elliptical, treadmill, bike with one flat screen tv in the room) rooms were very clean and comfortable, free wifi and parking! On the downside: the hot tub is more like a warm tub and the front desk staff warned us. Eric, at the front desk was very helpful to our group. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in McAllen.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
yorkshire
Reviewed 22 February 2008

Five minutes walk (fully loaded with bags) to the checkin counter at Mcallen airport. Quite similar to La Quinta. Typical new build chain hotel. Clean, quiet, and comfortable with good amenities and staff. Pool and jacuzzi were quite inviting but we didn't have a chance to dip in. Breakfast was included and basic but reasonable (scrambled eggs, toast, jam, bagels, waffles, coffee, juice, etc.) Also, a short walk to large shopping mall and restaurants. Only complaint, shuttle bus was offered at 5am but not available during our stay until 6am.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank big_foot_rg
mexico
Reviewed 13 July 2007

I have stayed at this hotel five times, overall it is very good, but on one of my trips, the night staff at front desk was not helpful.
The shuttle van is very defficient, I was driven to a restaurant and was told to call in for a pick up, when I called, PETE at the front desk told me that he would pick me immediatley, I waited for 1 hour finally got to the hotel and PETE didnt even apologize, he said that he was too busy to pick me up, very unprofessional.

Great variety of cable channels and it is very difficult for the wirless internet to work without interuption, the main atraction is the distance to the airport and the mall, small details but overall good

• Liked — location and tv channels
  • Disliked — the shuttle service
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank ciervo
San Antonio
Reviewed 21 April 2006

This hotel has slipped and slid in the past four years. It was once the newest nicest place to stay in McAllen, TX. I was very disappointed in my recent stay. The entire hotel is non-smoking and that's really nice, however, the front desk staff and housekeeping are not the professionals I remember from past visits. Front desk staff was not helpful when we had problems with the wireless internet connection and could not even provide us with a map of the town because they "ran out". There are four floors in the hotel and the only ice machine that worked was on the first floor all the rest were out of order. The entire hotel was booked. When we turned down the bed the blanket and inside of the bedspread were soiled with clumps of brown matter that were obviously fresh and no attempt had been made to clean either. Disgusting. That was the first problem with housekeeping. The next came in the morning as the cleaning staff began their duties around 8 am. They talked loudly, even shouting at times and causing a real disturbance in the hallways. Very unprofessional. The wall unit air-condi
tioners run constantly so it's either too cold or if shut off too hot in the rooms. All the linens and shower liners need updating. I had one bath towel that had a large shredded hole in it. The show curtains were too short and water leaked onto the floor. The bed spreads are ancient. Our complaints upon check-out were responded with a "I'll let the manager know about our problems." Gee Thanks.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank texasroseII
WingateInn-McAllen, Guest Representive/Sales at Wingate By Wyndham McAllen, responded to this review, 19 July 2006
Our main interest is to take care of our guest as if they were our own family. We believe in going above and beyond to please our guest. I've worked in the front desk area for 1 1/2 yrs and not once had we directly had any complaints like the ones this review gave us. It is to my knowledge in looking back to that day, that there was no incident or incidents like that reported to our staff or else we would have taken immediate action. Our front desk representatives are very professional and they will make sure your complaints are addressed properly. It sounds to me that this person left without addressing these issures with management and has bitter feeling with the Hotel. If in the future you do return, or have problems with any other hotel, please don't ever leave without addressing all your complaints to someone in management.