“ONE OF THE BEST”

Ranked #24 of 42 Hotels in McAllen
PLAQUEMINE
“ONE OF THE BEST”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This is the hotel to stay at if you want the best experience you have ever had at a hotel. The location is great, the room I was in was very clean and in great shape, and the staff went above and beyond on all of my needs. I was in town on a quick trip to look at some commercial property and Melissa the manager bent over backwards to help me locate a couple of properties in the area. The price of the room was also very reasonable. I am a Choice Elite member and am happy with the choices I usually have staying with them. Keep up the good work in McAllen.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
comfortmcallen, General Manager at Comfort Suites McAllen, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
rdchristensen,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave us a positive review, We really appreciate it.

Visit us again soon Mr. Christensen!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Due to the staff at this hotel, our experience here was fantastic. The front desk was incredibly hospitable and bent over backwards to make us comfortable. There was free cold beer and water kept in the lobby for us, along with fresh baked cookies, and some days even chicken and tacos. When we came in one night and the cookies were gone, Samantha at the front desk was quick to offer to bake up more. She even offered to ring us when they were done. We didn't take her up on the offer, but it was such a sweet gesture. She heard us talking about Whataburger, and offered us coupons; and the day staff was quick to offer a shuttle ride when we needed a lift to the local clinic. The rooms were clean, which was interesting because I have not had the best experience with Comfort Inn & Suites in the past. It was clear when we walked into the hotel that THIS particular Comfort Suites is NOT like the others we have stayed in. There were multiple WiFi options to keep the volume down and the internet fairly speedy, the TVs were large, the rooms were huge and had a full-size mini-fridge and microwave, there was free breakfast offered, and a beautiful pool outside. The only issues: the hot tub bubbles didn't work, the shower curtain needed to be longer because it didn't fit properly in the tub and our bathroom floor got soaked frequently, the water pressure in the shower was very low, the room was fairly dark, and there were few ice machines in the hotel. There was a laundry room offered. The comforter on the bed didn't feel "new," but it was still clean. Housekeeping did a great job. The hotel is in a great location for the area. Read tips for choosing rooms below.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms on the first floor. The ceiling is thin, and you can hear the thumps of footsteps...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Valley H, General Manager at Comfort Suites McAllen, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Thank you "LynnJD' for the kind words and appreciate your feedback. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the service of our staff. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the various amenities here at Comfort Suites. We also take pride in our cleanliness and hospitality and it is guests like yourself that we enjoy having. We are sad to hear about some of the issues that you noted but will get taken care of as soon as possible. Our priority here at Comfort Suites are to accommodate our guests and with your feedback along with others help us in accommodating our guests even more in the future. We again, thank you for the kind words and hope to have you stay with us again here at Comfort Suites!
Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

Great service checking in. Free cold beer, water and fresh baked cookies. Clean rooms, large rooms, great large screen TVs. I stay in 3-4 hotels a week and this one is nice in my book. Trip advisor knows I don't hold back if its not up to standard but this one is nice. Thank god I found a choice hotel I like in the RGV and I like it a lot.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you "Texcop1" for the kind words and enjoyed hearing your positive feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed many of the features we have to offer daily here at Comfort Suites. It is also very much appreciated that we are a Choice Hotel that you very much enjoyed here in the Rio Grande Valley. We hope you stay with us again to enjoy the many amenities that you enjoyed while staying with us!
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed two nights. THe staff was friendly, location ok (it is a small town so this is not really very important), Free wireless wi-fi was reasonably speedy.

The room was clean and large, but the decoration was not "warm" . It was more like a dark office.
Also, as another reviewer said, breakfast is served in a tiny space, so it is really complicated and uncomfortable for people trying to self serve their food.

For the price, I expected something better.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Valley H, General Manager at Comfort Suites McAllen, responded to this review, 1 May 2014

We have expanded are breakfast area.

Jorge Revilla
Comfort Suites
McAllen, TX 78501
956-213-0333
Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there for 5 days while we were in town visting family. My wife works at a comfort suites and got an employee rate for all but one night. Didn't like the fact that they wouldn't lower our rate since I couldn't book our stay cause the system was down so I had to pay the regular nightly rate, the room was nice, really enjoyed the bed but the pillows were flat, it was a good choice to bring our own so it wasn't a huge issue. We never got up in time for breakfast so we couldn't comment on that. The pool was a unique shape and fun, I hope next time we are there the hot tube is fixed it was a real bummer that It wasnt working while we were there. The staff was really great, they took care of anything we needed and were friendly. The only employee I had a problem with was a lady that worked the late shift, we asked if we could sit by the pool and put our feet in the water. She came into the pool area and yelled at us and another guest telling us that we need to get out. I had no problem with leaving its the fact that she decide to yell at us and threaten us with the cameras pointed in our direction. She was very rude to us, we even comforted her about it saying that the lady on the other shift said it would be ok, she said "this is my shift and I'm more strict then the other shifts, and that was her being nice she could have been a lot meaner then that" other then that issue our stay was great. We would consider stay there when ever we are in the area.

• Stayed April 2012

Jorge Revilla
Comfort Suites
McAllen, TX 78501
956-213-0333
Austin
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I was in town for a few days on business. I love the compact design of the property and the large rooms. I detest the walking required at larger full-service hotels plus they don’t have the amenities that are available at the comfort suites. Also, the choice hotels corporation has the best frequent stay award system in the universe. It shocks me that more people don't hop on board because of their reward system. One free reward night after 3 nights!

Anyway, the McAllen property is still fairly new. The rooms have one or two beds as well as a couch and a small table. I like the refrigerator and microwave too. The pool area is kind of small but very quant. The breakfast area is small too but it wasn't a problem at all. They have tamales on the breakfast buffet which is a first for me to see at a hotel. The wireless internet service had mediocre speed but was reliable.

The front desk and workers are laid back and very friendly. They even changed my rate when I mentioned that my co-worker received a lower rate!

The location is good and there are many shopping and restaurants around. I probably wouldn't walk to any because they are close but not really in walking distance.

I would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Valley H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites McAllen, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Thank you 'Atxguy' for your positive review of our hotel from your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback on our new tamales and are very happy that we met you expectations. We hope to have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the near future. See you soon!
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed 1 March 2011

this is about a 2 star hotel. Rooms need painting and new carpet. Lightbulbs are burned out or missing. Breakfast is a zoo, only about 6 tables and people crowing into place at the food counter. Juice is usually empty. The only person in the breakfast area to stock and clean tables is a maid that is trying to do laundry at the same time. Main hallway has several places where carpet has been patched in. Bedding and towels need replaced! Towels are like brillow pads-SCRATCHY! Bedding is thin and patched. I can't believe this is a Comfort Suites, its more like a Motel 6. I will say that the staff is friendly, they offered to make a breakfast bag so I wouldn't have to fight the crowd.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Valley H, General Manager at Comfort Suites McAllen, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Thank you "sxctyguy" for your response to your visit with us. We are saddened to hear that we are not up to standards. Please keep in mind that we appreciate your time and effort in letting us know the different areas that need prompt attention. I know your stay was in December, which happens to be the busiest time of the year for us, not only do we have out of state travelers but we get alot of travelers from Mexico as well. We are currently in process of replacing all carpets in the hall area, and rooms to follow. Our Priority is our Guests and your satisfaction during your stay. Once again, Thank You for your comments and hope to service you in the future on a better note.