“This was ok, but I'd try elsewhere first.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Suites McAllen

Comfort Suites McAllen
Ranked #20 of 42 Hotels in McAllen
Houston, TX
“This was ok, but I'd try elsewhere first.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2007

Right on the highway, so it's conveniently located to many restaurants, grocery stores, etc. Two restuarants are within walking distance....The Republic of the Rio Grande (which I highly recommend!!!) and Whataburger.

Most importantly, the room!: At first glance, overall our room looked nice, however while settling in for our 5-6 day stay, it was obvious that the room was not as nice as I was expecting. I immediately had to call housekeeping to clean the mildew off the tub/shower area. The rest of the bathroom was fine. The walls were a bit too dirty and could have used a fresh coat of paint. The carpets did not have any debris on them, but after an hour or two of my preschool daughter walking around the room in her socks, the socks were black on the bottom...ick! Same thing happend w/each pair she wore during our stay. One other lady in our group had a problem with mildew in her tub, which she cleaned herself. Everyone else in our group (15-16 rooms) seemed ok with their rooms and the couple others I specifically asked said their room was fine. Noise was not a problem, even with us being close to the elevator. No traffic noise either.

Exterior, lobby, and halls were nice.

The motel next door was a bit run down and unsightly.

Parking was almost gone by 9-10pm, so what happens if you come in later? I wasn't real comfortable parking at the rear of the property as it is b/c of the apts. behind and motel next door.

Pool was small, but clean and centrally located.

Breakfast was decent. By no means bountiful, but not as skimpy as I've seen elsewhere either.

Staff was nice, but seemed overworked. One big problem was that upon our arrival, they were short one room out of our group reservation, making for a very tense 15-30 minutes while they scrambled to find a room to amend their error. Also, we asked several different front desk clerks to recommend a good restaurant unique to that area, and not one of them could do so! Considering their occupation, you'd think they have at least few such recommendations already or at least make the effort to come up with something.

An ok place for our group rate price. It's really time for them to rennovate their rooms.

Would I stay there again? I wouldn't say I'd never stay there again, but unless they've just rennovated, I'd definitely try to make arrangements elsewhere first.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Needs room rennovation.
  • Stayed August 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hereintx
Valley H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites McAllen, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we’re doing right, what we’re doing wrong, and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your past experience is genuinely appreciated. We have some good news for 2011 we are currently renovating the property to exceed our guest expectations. New 40" televisions, carpet, and beds. I hope you are able to come by and experience the REFRESHED Comfort Suites in Mcallen,Tx. As for our staff we have implemented new training regarding area information and local hot spots which will give guest a chance to try our local eateries. Thanks again for the helpful feedback we hope to see you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)