“look elsewhere” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 41 Hotels in McAllen
Sioux City, Iowa
“look elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

this is about a 2 star hotel. Rooms need painting and new carpet. Lightbulbs are burned out or missing. Breakfast is a zoo, only about 6 tables and people crowing into place at the food counter. Juice is usually empty. The only person in the breakfast area to stock and clean tables is a maid that is trying to do laundry at the same time. Main hallway has several places where carpet has been patched in. Bedding and towels need replaced! Towels are like brillow pads-SCRATCHY! Bedding is thin and patched. I can't believe this is a Comfort Suites, its more like a Motel 6. I will say that the staff is friendly, they offered to make a breakfast bag so I wouldn't have to fight the crowd.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Valley H, General Manager at Comfort Suites McAllen, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Thank you "sxctyguy" for your response to your visit with us. We are saddened to hear that we are not up to standards. Please keep in mind that we appreciate your time and effort in letting us know the different areas that need prompt attention. I know your stay was in December, which happens to be the busiest time of the year for us, not only do we have out of state travelers but we get alot of travelers from Mexico as well. We are currently in process of replacing all carpets in the hall area, and rooms to follow. Our Priority is our Guests and your satisfaction during your stay. Once again, Thank You for your comments and hope to service you in the future on a better note.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

Staff was very curteous. If there was anything I needed they made sure I got it. They were really amazing in the service that I recieved from all the employees that my family and I encountered throughout our stay at the Comfort Suites in Mcallen Tx. The room was perfect my wife and I enjoyed our privacy do to the fact that, it had a seperate room for our children. My children had a blast of fun in the pool and my wife enjoyed the hot tub, as well as the Plaza Mall located less than a mile away. We really enjoyed our stay at the Comfort Suites.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Valley H, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites McAllen, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
It was a pleasure having your family at our hotel. Our staff was delighted to serve you and we hope that you will allow us the honor again in the near future. See you soon!
Harlingen, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2010

The room was better than we expected, and everyone on the staff treated us like royalty. I was amazed, frankly.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you 'boydstone' for taking the time to write a wonderful review about your stay at our hotel. We are so glad that we could be of great service to you during your time in the Mcallen area. In fact we are currently replacing our old televisions with brand new 40" televisions to better serve our guest. Looking forward to seeing you soon !
houston tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2009

I usually have to go to south Texas for business, and stay various different hotels. I usually like to try out all the hotels in the are till I find the best one and stick with it. Well guys this is the one. I got great rate becuase I booked online about a 2 weeks in advance. The staff was friendly and professional and the location was great as well. My car had broke down the morning I had a very important business meeting. The staff called a local Mechanic for me and the manager who saw the dilema I was stuck in droped me of to my meeting. WOW thats what I call hospitality at its finest. The service I got one would think I was staying at 5 star hotel on the Vegas Strip. To the Staff and Managment at the hotel Thank you so much and see you the next time I come to South TX.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Our management team is happy to hear that you have picked us as your hotel in the Mcallen area we will continue to be their for you whether its dealing with directions to a meeting or a suggestion to a local eatery.Thank you 'Shehzyman' for your positive review of our hotel from your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and are very happy that we met you expectations. We hope to have the pleasure of being of service to you again (for business or for pleasure) in the near future. See you soon!
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2007

Right on the highway, so it's conveniently located to many restaurants, grocery stores, etc. Two restuarants are within walking distance....The Republic of the Rio Grande (which I highly recommend!!!) and Whataburger.

Most importantly, the room!: At first glance, overall our room looked nice, however while settling in for our 5-6 day stay, it was obvious that the room was not as nice as I was expecting. I immediately had to call housekeeping to clean the mildew off the tub/shower area. The rest of the bathroom was fine. The walls were a bit too dirty and could have used a fresh coat of paint. The carpets did not have any debris on them, but after an hour or two of my preschool daughter walking around the room in her socks, the socks were black on the bottom...ick! Same thing happend w/each pair she wore during our stay. One other lady in our group had a problem with mildew in her tub, which she cleaned herself. Everyone else in our group (15-16 rooms) seemed ok with their rooms and the couple others I specifically asked said their room was fine. Noise was not a problem, even with us being close to the elevator. No traffic noise either.

Exterior, lobby, and halls were nice.

The motel next door was a bit run down and unsightly.

Parking was almost gone by 9-10pm, so what happens if you come in later? I wasn't real comfortable parking at the rear of the property as it is b/c of the apts. behind and motel next door.

Pool was small, but clean and centrally located.

Breakfast was decent. By no means bountiful, but not as skimpy as I've seen elsewhere either.

Staff was nice, but seemed overworked. One big problem was that upon our arrival, they were short one room out of our group reservation, making for a very tense 15-30 minutes while they scrambled to find a room to amend their error. Also, we asked several different front desk clerks to recommend a good restaurant unique to that area, and not one of them could do so! Considering their occupation, you'd think they have at least few such recommendations already or at least make the effort to come up with something.

An ok place for our group rate price. It's really time for them to rennovate their rooms.

Would I stay there again? I wouldn't say I'd never stay there again, but unless they've just rennovated, I'd definitely try to make arrangements elsewhere first.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Needs room rennovation.
  • Stayed August 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hereintx
I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we’re doing right, what we’re doing wrong, and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your past experience is genuinely appreciated. We have some good news for 2011 we are currently renovating the property to exceed our guest expectations. New 40" televisions, carpet, and beds. I hope you are able to come by and experience the REFRESHED Comfort Suites in Mcallen,Tx. As for our staff we have implemented new training regarding area information and local hot spots which will give guest a chance to try our local eateries. Thanks again for the helpful feedback we hope to see you soon!