“Sunday Morning Breakfast Stop”
Review of Coffee Shop Cafe

Coffee Shop Cafe
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in McGregor
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Just starting out after a stay in Waco and on our way to Fort Davis, we found this gem of a coffee shop. The place was packed with locals, but we did not feel out of place. We started with a cinnamon bun, which was excellent. We then had eggs, Texas toast and bacon. All good. Coffee was hot and plentiful. We enjoyed our brief stop here.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our latest visit was to the lunch buffet. I am very picky about chicken fried steak, but I will give theirs my wholehearted approval. Crunchy on the outside, and 2 choices of gravy. The mashed potatoes are excellent. In addition to the salad bar, they had green beans, corn, fried okra, hush puppies, okra and tomatoes, cabbage, squash, carrots, and about 5 or 6 other things I can't remember. There were about 6 or 7 meats. The price is $2 more if you choose more than one meat. The meal also comes with dessert (a small piece of cake or cobbler, usually with ice cream). The pies look like they would be heaven. There are many kinds to choose from, but I am always too full from the meal to indulge.
Do not expect fancy décor. It wouldn't be the same if they remodeled.

1  Thank corollagirl
Reviewed 12 May 2013

This place is not too far from Crawford and the former President Bush ranch. I was in the restaurant some years ago when he showed up to eat. I am told he is not as frequent a customer these days but who knows, you may dine with the Bushes here. The walls are covered with photos of the Bushes and other political figures who have eaten there. Souviners are also for sale.
Now for the review... There is a menu but few order from that and instead have the large buffet. You get one of a variety of meats, and all the veggies you want, along with a dessert for $6.99. Two meats cost $7.99. My choice this visit was the chicken fried steak. It was very good. Real meat and not the "chicken fried oatmeal" you may get elsewhere. The many other selections were hot and good. I found the corn nuggets, and the cooked cabbage really good - but they have many other selections.
The waitstaff is what you would expect in a small town country cooking place. Quick, competent and quite playful.
This is the place to have lunch in McGregor Texas.I can recommend it.
Make sure and look at their website and note the recognition by various magazines.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

A group of friends and I were visiting this small Texas town and had the occasion to have lunch at this local establishment. Someone in our group had read a Texas Monthly article and made sure this was the place we came to eat. Now, I know what all the fuss is about: If you like down-home southern cooking this is a place you cannot miss.

Make sure you have the all-you-can-eat buffet because everything on the menu is delicious. My personal favorites are the chicken fried steak and the ochre stew, but make sure you have a small taste of everything else as you may find other personal favorites of your own. Make sure you save a little room for the dessert; German chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream (comes with buffet).

Also, of interest, McGregor is just down the road from Crawford, TX so the Coffee Shop has many autographed pictures on their walls of famous Washington officials and dignitaries.

Reviewed 29 January 2013

You get a lot of food for the money. We always go for the buffet line. Get your fill of salads, veggies, chicken fried steak, ham or turkey. Except for the salads, these are not lo-cal foods, but really good comfort foods. They also do a breakfast buffet on weekends. If you don't do the buffet, you can order from the menu, and I recommend their hamburgers. The service is good, and the waitresses are friendly. The place gets crowded, and sometimes you have to wait for a table.