“Great hotel!”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites McKinney - Fairview
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in McKinney
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We had an amazing stay. Our room was really nice. The service was great. We had a couple drinks at the bar and had a great time. The whole staff was friendly, Chad was especially helpful. Breakfast was great too.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I've been a guest at this hotel for 2 different trips to my corporate office. They do a great job making our stay comfortable. The entire stay, from check-in, to check-out, is great.

The continental breakfast is second to none, and Lasara was a great server !!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ntonybailey
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Spending the weekend with friends in Dallas is always fun. Staying at a great hotel makes it even better. The rooms were very nice and the staff was great! They made us feel very welcome. The restaurant and bar area was exceptional. Chad (the manager) was always friendly and never failed to make sure we had what we needed. From breakfast to evening drinks, service was fabulous! I can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The room was clean and well equipped, but with two beds it was very cramped quarters. Television had very few channels to pick from. Lobby smelled very strong of chlorine from the pool. I hate to pay for breakfast (and it was too expensive) when there are a lot nicer hotels that provide it free. Recently stayed just south of this location a couple miles at the Holiday Inn Express...BIGGER room, lovely lobby, free breakfast, and less expensive. It's a no-brainer.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nelda C
helmhotelsgroup, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites McKinney - Fairview, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

We regret that you did not have 100% satisfaction during your stay at our hotel. Our team works extremely hard to make each of our guests' stays as close to perfect as possible. Each Holiday Inn hotel offers an experience that is different than a Holiday Inn Express hotel, which includes dining and room service options, a full bar, and extensive meeting space. As to our TV selection, we do offer 73 channels with over 50 in High-Definition. If your room had a malfunctioning TV, please contact us and let us know so that we can remedy the problem. We also apologize for the smell in the lobby from the pool area. The amount of chemicals we use (bromine, not chlorine) is mandated by the city. Unfortunately, we have no say in levels but we do test 3 times a day to ensure that our indoor pool and spa continues to be clean and safe and a highlight for all guests staying with us. We hope that you would consider staying with us again in the future and please contact me directly to help sort out any other issues that you may have.

Matt Dalrymple
matt.dalrymple@holidayinn-mckinney.com

Reviewed 19 August 2013

This hotel is conveniently located to shopping, restaurants, and activities. The entire hotel staff are professional, helpful, and friendly. The front desk greeted everyone with a smile and "hello" no matter if you were "coming or going". I did not have the opportunity to swim in their indoor pool but it always looked inviting. The bar area can be noisy since there is no door or partition to set it apart from the restaurant area. Breakfast is always good at the Holiday Inns and this one was located in a restaurant atmosphere which made it pleasant as well. The room was spacious and comfortable. The only situation that was somewhat disconcerting was a broken wine glass in the stairway along with other litter that stayed there for a couple of days until we mentioned it to the front desk. It was taken care of immediately.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maxine D
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This hotel was great. Very clean and modern. The room even had a ceiling fan which made me feel right at home. The staff were very friendly and helpful. LaSara did an excellent job at all of the meals that we had there. The breakfast was very good every morning.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed 9 August 2013

On a recent family vacation trip through various cities in Texas, we stayed at a number of hotels. We chose the McKinney Holiday Inn as a good stop-over on our way north, to get past Dallas. Big mistake.

The problems started with the online reservation service, which wasn't functioning. So I had to call and make the reservation by phone. I was connected with someone whose first language was not English and the phone reception was terrible.

I chose the Bed + Breakfast package (which cost more), based on the representation that our 2 adults would receive free breakfast and that our two children would eat free. All of the other hotels we stayed at provided free breakfast, so we thought this would be ideal. Nowhere on the website, nor in the phone reservation operator's description was there any limitation on what "free" meant.

When we arrived at the hotel, the first thing we heard was blaring rock or dance music from a "bar" about 5 feet from the reception desk. I asked for a room on an upper floor and not above the blaring music. The room was passable. Everything was dark, so it was probably pretty dirty, but the room was "okay" other than being small.

The wireless WIFI hardly worked. The signal came and went and the speed was pathetic 0.23 mbps (compared the the 10mbps I got via my cellphone). What a joke in 2013. The hotel advertises free high speed internet, which was not provided.

At check-in I asked about the free breakfast. I was given a $20 voucher and told that was enough for breakfast for 2 adults. I was skeptical, but let it pass, until the next morning.

The next morning, we (2 adults/2 kids) walked into the breakfast room. I saw the sign outside "Breakfast Buffet $9.95". When the waitress eventually arrived (she was fairly preoccupied with the one other customer in the restaurant), she handed us menus. I ordered 4 buffets. She informed me that there was no buffet. I then asked what the "free" breakfast was then. She said we had a $20 voucher and should order from the menu. I then confirmed that the kids would eat free. She said "no." (She seem to take great pride in trying to disabuse me of the notion that we were going to get a free breakfast - despite us having been sold a package with free breakfast). I, however, insisted, saying, "No, the kids eat free. That's what I was told when I reserved the room." She left, and came back, acknowledged (without apologizing) that the kids would eat free and handed us 2 kids menus. She said the kids could only order one of the things on the menu. The kids' menu was PATHETIC, and my kids were quite disappointed, as was I. We had to order additional items off the menu (depleting our sacred $20 voucher) for them to supplement THE WORST KIDS MENU I have ever seen.

Then, we had to CAREFULLY select a few additional items from the menu (for the adults' "free" breakfast), to make sure we did not exceed our $20 limit (which is contrary to the unrestricted "Free" breakfast advertised). So we ordered what we thought would be about $20 (my wife just ordering a small yogurt to keep us within the price limit). The food (arriving in segments, a few items first, a few others later, a couple more on a third trip, then a fourth trip to get the things that had been forgotten) was mediocre at best. I ordered biscuits and gravy. I got 2 dinner rolls like you would buy at the grocery store (not biscuits), and some bland white gravy, clearly from a can or a bag, all of which was somewhere between cold and room temperature.

Through careful self-limitation and disagreement with the uninformed waitress, we achieved a breakfast that only cost us $0.13 after the $20 was applied (plus a reluctant $10 tip). Thus not "free," and ultimately, due to its mediocrity and the requisite negotation involved, not worth the $0.13 plus tip, plus the additional amount paid for the "Breakfast Package."

This situation is totally unacceptable and likely actionable. It is false advertising and should subject Holiday Inn to a class action lawsuit for advertising a "free" breakfast, that is not actually free. Other hotels just put out a free breakfast bar, and everyone is fine. The Holiday Inn "Bed and Breakfast" package truly sucked.

By contrast, we did a Bed and Breakfast package at the Hilton Garden Inn in New Braunfels. We got a voucher. When the 4 of us sat down for breakfast, the polite waitress handed us menus and said "what I can I bring you." There were no limitations. Everyone got want they wanted, and the food was good.

Holiday Inn's false advertising and the other deficiencies of the McKinney hotel will result in my avoiding Holiday Inn at all costs in the future and recommend to all others to do the same.

Room Tip: Try to find a Hilton Garden Inn instead and/or skip the Bed and Breakfast package. There's a Pa...