“Small plates with a big impact”
Review of Cafe Malaga - CLOSED

Cafe Malaga
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Davis
Description: Nestled just off the beautiful Historic Downtown Square in McKinney, Texas, Café Málaga offers a refreshing take on Mediterranean cuisine in a cozy relaxed setting.
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Do you like tapas? If so, Café Malaga is an excellent place to visit. Located just off the main square in McKinney Texas, Malaga’s has a unique variety of tapas at a reasonable price. They also have a full bar with seating both inside and outside. Great cuisine for the entire family. The food is very flavorful, well prepared and presented. The small dishes provide an excellent opportunity to try a number of dishes.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Last night I went the this restaurant primarily to listen to a local band but was glad that they had food and the reviews were relatively good except that several of them commented on the service. Upon my arrival, I discovered that reservations were preferred but the hostess was able to seat me quickly. After a few minutes the waitstaff came to the table and brought a food menu but no drink menu. I asked for a wine list which she "found" on a nearby table and I ordered a mid-priced white wine. I told the wait staff that I would like the Hummus with grilled pita bread and a touch of olive oil to start and then a Málaga Salad of mixed baby greens and toasted hazelnuts, orange ponche and Cabrales cheese with a hazelnut vinaigrette and would finish with the tapas portion of Gambas al ajillo which was sautéed tiger shrimp with sherry in a lemon, butter & garlic sauce. About 15 minutes after I ordered a bus person brought me a glass of ice water. The about 5 minutes later, the same bus person brought me all my order at one time. Normally this would not be a problem but with three dishes a whole herd of flies, eating and trying to keep the flies off the food was a juggling act that interfered with the meal.

That being said, the hummus was not seasoned and the pita was not toasted. The salad was delicious as was the hazelnut vinaigrette dressing and the shrimp was also tasty. The sauce was nice and I would have liked to have a piece of bread to enjoy it after eating the shrimp. This sufficed a filling meal but I will not go back and eat on the veranda during the summer.

I asked the wait staff if it was common to bring all the food - appetizer, salad and main course at one time and she indicated that it was not so that suggests that there is a training issue that the management needs to address. However, there have been negative comments in most of the reviews on this restaurant regarding the service for some time and nothing has changed.

Prices were reasonable.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We are tapas last Saturday afternoon. Service was quick, and vegetarian tapas like stuffed peppers and hummus tasted great. The potatoes were just OK.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Not sure what the good reviewers ordered to make it positive but this place is a bad version of someone trying to imitate Spanish food, what a bad and expensive choice. All my family is straight from Spain (Madrid, Sevilla and Barcelona) and there is no possible place in Spain that could be as bad as this one.

1  Thank FJQ2001
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Waiters were very attentive but food was not good. It should have been a sign when we walked in for lunch and the place was empty. Food is very overpriced and not authentic or representative of Spanish food in any way. I don't recommend and would never return.

1  Thank D Q