“Nice Place, Excellent Location”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in McKinney
Houston, Texas
“Nice Place, Excellent Location”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This is an older hotel right tucked half a block off of the main square in McKinney. The square is a very nicely preserved town square with a lot of nightlife nearby and plenty of dining options that are all above average dining spots.

So, the bed was comfortable, the room was nice, but nothing stood out about it except that it felt old in a cozy way. The bathroom was very recently redone, so you are not sacrificing anything to age there, and the soaps and linens provided were nice quality.

This was a nice place to spend a night because it does not have the generic box-on-the-highway feel at all, and I think it would be a very nice place for just a weekend couples retreat to a relaxing place.

The coffee shop next door was an added bonus. Good coffees in a very relaxed space.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

What a true gem! The Grand Hotel is located on the historic square in downtown McKinney. Rooms are all beautifully decorated with mansion beds that are of the utmost comfort. A lot of weddings held here so you might want to ask for a room away from the ballroom. There are pubs and restaurants all just steps away that offer live entertainment. You must visit the Lobby Bar and try the Crab Dip. Great atmosphere. This is my "go to" hotel when I wanna get away. So much to do. My favorite place.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank PapizGirl
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 26 March 2013

A year ago I wrote about how wonderful this hotel is. Just got back from another four day stay and guess what? It was even more wonderful than before! I love this hotel. It is always my very first choice when in McKinney Texas and they are always able to fit me in. The locations is perfect, there is always parking outside and the staff are more like family these days! I can understand why it is such a popular place for weddings and special events.
All of the rooms are beautifully decorated. Great food is right downstairs at Ricks and on the weekends the bar is bustling with friendly locals. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Splurge a little and book one of the suites. They are amazing!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Caution looks good sleeps BAD!! I have never felt frustrated enough to waste my time writing a review but this time this one took the Cake with bad accomadations/service so I had no choice. I really enjoyed McKinney Texas and the square of shops around The Grand Hotel. The Grand Hotel is beautiful and my experience at the Symposium during business hours was great before and after that was another story. If you value sleep stay away. First the room smelled like an old tennis shoe and what ever they sprayed triggered my almost non-existent allergies. Then, NO ONE on staff could get the temperature in 1 or 2 different rooms to work so I averaged 3 hours of sleep. Then when wanted to exercise no one could including me/staff could get fitness center treadmill such to function. The blinds wouldn't shut out light and the sink didn't work so I moved to a windowless room with the same problems and same issue with heat.

After coming down to find staff sleeping and unhelpful I went running outside in the sleet with short pants to take my mind off it...that worked since I froze!! I left requests for help for management and front desk staff. I am sure there is more but do you need more. Stay away and worst of all when I called and left messages for a couple of weeks asking for an apology or such management and owner did nothing. The one bright note was Oscar a true professional! They get what they deserve a terrible review for a pretty hotel gone BAD! Stay AWAY.

Room Tip: One in another hotel would be good.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank rcgore
lisanelson
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

I was not looking forward to turning 50, so I decided to follow my heart's desire and stay near my favorite historical downtown spot; McKinney, Texas. I considered some of the bed and breakfasts, but since this hotel is located in the downtown area, I decided upon it. I was so impressed by our room, 401. It is the nicest room I have ever stayed in. I have been blessed with traveling to Europe and many nice places, but this room gets first prize. I believe it is the nicest room in the hotel. I did peak into one of the other rooms, and though it was much smaller, it was still furnished beautifully and the bathroom was absolutely outstanding. 401 has a sitting area with gorgeous furniture and a fireplace with a huge flatscreen tv mounted above it. It also has a nice table and artwork on the walls, as well as bookshelves with many books to look through. The bathroom was amazing, with a large furniture piece with granite and two sinks, and a nice sized shower with good water pressure and a huge tub that I wished I had had the time to enjoy! It also had robes in a huge closet. The bed was enormous and so comfortable! I so wanted to move in and never leave. It is adjacent to Rick's Chophouse, and there are many nice restaurants and shops along the square. For breakfast, Spoons is just a block away, and Snug is right around the corner. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Stay at the Grand Hotel, I highly recommend it!

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lmoetteli
Nevada, MO
Reviewed 29 January 2013

This is in an old building on the square in McKinney, which means exposed brick walls and heavy woodwork. It is furnished well with antiques, nice linens; but both the bedrooms and the bathrooms are small. I really enjoyed staying here except for the noise coming from the functions in the private rooms. The band at the wedding reception and the DJ from a birthday party were loud, but it ended at a decent time (10:30 p.m.?) If you're in town in business and have a lot of work to do on the computer, the facilities are not conducive. But we asked about a refrigerator, and two maids brought a small one to our room. Now that's service!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the ballrooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Spent the night during my company's Christmas Party. Food and Service was very good. Room was rather disappointing. It had no windows, was rather small, and the A/C unit made a ton of noise - too much to sleep. Also, the door did not meet the floor very well. Beside the kight the shown in from the hallway, I was honestly afraid someone could lay on the floor and watch us! Hey, no kids and an x-mas party atmosphere - just sayin'

Would go back though.

Room Tip: Get one with a window or give up and move to Marriott on Stacy
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple