“Perfect for a weekend trip”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in McKinney
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Stayed here this past weekend for a wedding. Beds are great, hotel staff couldn't be more accommodating , and a perfect location. Nice restaurants, bars and shops right downtown. If u want to have a nice weekend away, not touch the car and listen to some bands this is your perfect base.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 June 2013

The Grand is just that ."Grand" in every respect , in a really alive down town of McKinney Texas, no wonder they were picked number two best places to live in America by Money Magazine. Quaint cafes and a variety of shops to enjoy.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Presidential suite that was elegant. Very spacious and very quite. Awesome view of...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2013

For the second year in a row, we spent our anniversary at the Grand Hotel as we love McKinney. Also, for the second year in a row, we did not get the type of room for which we had a confirmation. We had both times requested a window. The first visit we got a room with no window, but a skylight. My husband and I are late sleepers and with a skylight the light comes streaming in at the crack of dawn making it very difficult to sleep. This year the first question I asked was if our room had a window. The answer was "no" which I said was unacceptable. They ended up reluctantly changing our room, however, we now had a room with a queen rather than king bed and our window overlooked a bunch of roofs. The bed had some sort of unfitted stiff plastic cover on it and the bottom sheet was not fitted and was barely tucked in. Every time I moved I ended up with a wad of mattress pad and sheet under me. I did not sleep well at all. To add insult to injury, there was a function going on in the hotel and even with the TV on I could hear the words to the songs that the singer was singing and the band was loud. The guests at that function were running around the halls and were very noisy. After that band stopped playing, I could hear the band in the bar two stories below. The hotel itself is nice. The rooms are small. The bedspread was one of those dark quilted ones that make you wonder if it ever gets cleaned. As I said, the sheets didn't fit the bed. When we arrived, our pillows were on the floor (yuk!!) The bathroom is nice but there was no place to hang towels. We ended up only spending one night as opposed to the two we had planned on. They did comp our room which they should have but that didn't make up for an unpleasant night plus the inconvenience of having to pack up and look for another place to stay. We will definitely visit McKinney again, but will not be staying at the Grand Hotel. In addition, parking is a real problem.

Room Tip: Get a room with a window with a good view. I would also get as far away from the event room as poss...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judy S
Reviewed 9 May 2013

This quaint hotel is located in an historic building that has been tastefully restored to grand opulence with wonderful antique furniture to adorn each room. The staff is extremely friendly and goes out of their way to accommodate guests and make them feel at home, not unlike a fine bed and breakfast inn. From this location its a one block walk to a number of fantastic restaurants for breakfast, lunch or dinner and unique shops located on the beautiful McKinney town square. I have stayed here 3 times for business and absolutely love it. Guests can take a short 2 mile run down Louisiana Av and return on Virginia to view a number of grand old historic homes with porches and friendly people to say hello to along the way.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This is an older hotel right tucked half a block off of the main square in McKinney. The square is a very nicely preserved town square with a lot of nightlife nearby and plenty of dining options that are all above average dining spots.

So, the bed was comfortable, the room was nice, but nothing stood out about it except that it felt old in a cozy way. The bathroom was very recently redone, so you are not sacrificing anything to age there, and the soaps and linens provided were nice quality.

This was a nice place to spend a night because it does not have the generic box-on-the-highway feel at all, and I think it would be a very nice place for just a weekend couples retreat to a relaxing place.

The coffee shop next door was an added bonus. Good coffees in a very relaxed space.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

What a true gem! The Grand Hotel is located on the historic square in downtown McKinney. Rooms are all beautifully decorated with mansion beds that are of the utmost comfort. A lot of weddings held here so you might want to ask for a room away from the ballroom. There are pubs and restaurants all just steps away that offer live entertainment. You must visit the Lobby Bar and try the Crab Dip. Great atmosphere. This is my "go to" hotel when I wanna get away. So much to do. My favorite place.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank PapizGirl
Reviewed 26 March 2013

A year ago I wrote about how wonderful this hotel is. Just got back from another four day stay and guess what? It was even more wonderful than before! I love this hotel. It is always my very first choice when in McKinney Texas and they are always able to fit me in. The locations is perfect, there is always parking outside and the staff are more like family these days! I can understand why it is such a popular place for weddings and special events.
All of the rooms are beautifully decorated. Great food is right downstairs at Ricks and on the weekends the bar is bustling with friendly locals. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Splurge a little and book one of the suites. They are amazing!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business