“Small but interesting!”

US$120.00*
and up
Day Tour to Petén Itzá Lake and Petencito Zoo
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is a small natural reserve host of some interesting animal species. A must visit if you go to Tikal.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"suggestion"
"canopy"

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I visited this small zoo with my daughter at the suggestion of my hotel in Flores, which also arranged boat transportation (the visit to the zoo was a part of a 2-hour lake tour/cruise). My expectations were quite low, and they were exceeded. It is a lovely jungle area with some very nice views of the lake and a lot of "wild" things to see - birds, lizards, butterflies, leaf-carrying ants. There was a good collection of local animals, including a number of young big cats. It seems that there is some renovation work going on and a group of university students were working with some of the animals during our visit. The birds are amazing. I never know quite what to think of the ethics of collections like this, but I have seen worse. The Q40 foreign admission was worth it in my opinion. There is apparently also walking access to an archaeological site, El Mirador, but we didn't have time to visit. If nothing else, the zoo is a nice little lake excursion from Flores, which doesn't overflow with sites. It is also a good way to get onto the lake during the hot and humid afternoon.

1  Thank jef-ind
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were excited to visit this little zoo. However, when we got there, there was no one there except for the ones who charge you the entrance fee. It just doesn't have any upkeep. The man who took us across the lagoon says that a university will take it over, we do hope so as it would add one more attraction to Flores, Peten.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I was in Flores for a day as part of a larger Guatemala tour. I would have to say this was the least memorable portion of my Guatemala trip. I went in not expecting too much from this zoo and i was right to think that way. In my opinion it seems some animals are taken care of better than other animals. A lot of the Animals have extremely tiny fenced in areas. The only animals we saw roaming around were birds (which were gorgeous) and some Wild pigs. It's an average zoo.

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The zoo was much better than suggested by some of the reviews. Animals appeared to be in good health. As advertised, there were jaguars (young and older) as well as free range "wild" pigs as well as an assortment of other animals and birds. The zoo is in two parts with a suspension bridge joining the two islands. The boat ride to the zoo is an enjoyable 15 minute trip. Be sure to use mosquito repellant - the most "mosquito-active" site of our two-week trip to Guatemala with Gate1.

2  Thank HappyCanadian13