“Stayed many times”

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Flores
Cotopaxi, Colorado
“Stayed many times”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Over the years I have spent many days (as long as a week) staying at this Hotel.

I have never experienced an unclean room there and in fact, I find the staff during the day always cleaning. They do have a low level wifi service down in the dining area but sometimes, especially early in the morning or late at night, you must get the night watchman to turn the router on. Over the years I have found the staff to remain consistent in personnel and in service.

For those who are working on their Spanish (or Spanish isn't very good) they do have Staff who speak fairly good English at the front desk during the normal daytime hours.

They do shut the front doors at 10:00 pm and you must knock on the door (maybe bang sometimes) to get the night watchman to let you in (minor hassle).

I have never tried all the rooms there but I do know they have some that will fit most people's budget. Remember, if you get a cheaper room don't expect to get the "view or the location" some rooms are located in some very (potentially) noisy areas.

I have my special room I request (nope not telling) it is small but has all the things I am looking for when I visit Flores. Actually the hotel, is located in a very convenient part of the Island. Right across the street from one of my favorite restaurants with good food and archaeology talk.

A reminder, the Island is round and you can casually walk around it in 20 minutes. So, if you go in one direction and realize your a distance away from where your going. Turn around and go the other way it may be quicker; experience speaking! Too, go up to the church and go over the main hill (the only one and one which is the remains of long ago ruins) down the other side to get around the island. Thus, the Hotel is conveniently located or everything else is conveniently located near the hotel. Have fun!!

Room Tip: Look at the room before you pay.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ProGuide1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I have twice stayed at Hotel Villa del Lago while leading trips with groups of university students. It is not my favorite hotel in Flores, but if you are on a budget, you cannot do better. I have seen some of the other budget hotels on Flores and this one is the best I've visited. For perhaps US $15 a night per person, you get simple but nice, clean rooms with cable television, air conditioning, and private bathrooms. There is also a nice second story deck with wonderful views of the lake. For groups, they provide an excellent breakfast at the hotel restaurant for US $4 per person and they will provide a simple box lunch (sandwich, chips, fruit, juice, water) for US $5 per person. There is no WiFi but there are a pair of internet connected computers you can use for free in the lobby

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed for two nights. We arrived late because our journey on the bus from Guatemala City took a lot longer than we were expecting (better to fly).

Room was number 208 and from reading our reviews I can safely assume that we had the worst room in the hotel. Our window looked out on to the hotel corridor. The bathroom had ants crawling all over it and the whole room was not clean.

We have travelled up through central America and it is most unusual for rooms to be dirty - the maids are usually very good. This room was not clean. The mirror in the wardrobe was smashed as well.

The wifi didn't work in our room, but was fine downstairs.

On the plus side, the reception staff were very helpful at booking our shuttles to Tikal and to Belize. Also, it was only $35usd a night and the location was really good - the restaurants next door and opposite were nice.

In conclusion, the hotel is ok but avoid room 208!

• Stayed March 2012
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 19 December 2011

This is a budget hostel - B/B property in Flores. Some of the rooms have a nice view with a balcony overlooking on the lake but nothing more. Basic rooms, cold water, poor customer service and as everywhere in Flores they try to overcharge for the tour in Tikal archaeological site. So be aware!!! The rate for Tikal tour is 150 quetzalles (15 euro). On that rate round trip transfer and guide are included. Upon arrival in Tikal you have to pay 150 quatzalles more (15 euro) for the entrance fee. Do not accept rates higher than that. Try to book directly with a big travel agency and you will take the same tour on the correct rate!
ALSO BE AWARE OF TIKAL ADVENTURE TOURS TRAVEL AGENCY (it is located in the opposite side of Hotel El Peten)!!! We had a very bad experience with them. We have already reported them in all local authorities.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay there then book a room with lake view
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Flores hotels

Colorado
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I was there in November and the hotel was practically deserted. I suspect the action is in and around Hotel Casa Amelia where I had first thought of staying. But I'm glad I didn't--it's a pretty busy area and I like quiet. This hotel provided me with just the sort of peaceful envirionment I was looking for. I was in Room 305 with a balcony overlooking the lake. The room had modern furnishings, AC and a ceiling fan. No complaints. I was up at dawn and saw a great sunrise.

Flores is a small town, cut out for backpackers heading to Tikal. It takes only a few minutes to walk around it. One day is plenty. I had dinner at family-run Cool Beans.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank tunai
Alabama
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I stayed here once and have no complaints at all about the service there. Their rooms have a/c and are simple. The price is very good as well. I would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Alabama
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I've stayed at this hotel on many occasions and have never had any issues at all. The rooms are very simply but the rooms are clean as well. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose one the of Vista rooms for the best view with balcony.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo