“Won't go there again!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Vouliagmeni
Athens
“Won't go there again!”
Reviewed 7 July 2008

The personnel of the spa just cann't arrange its appointments. They had booked other therapies then those we ask for. They told us we were late but we couldn' t park anywhere near by and the hotel' s parking is only for 'platinum' members! They changed our appointments and told us we were wrong!The responsible for the thalassotherapy pool doesn't give any instructions about its use. They totally ruined our first marriage anniversary....and finally, they don't have any forms for complaining!!!! Still waiting for their answer to all our complains...........

Stayed July 2008
5 Thank Elcri25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hockley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2008

We have just returned from a short break at the Divani Apollon Palace and I would not be happy to recommend it to anyone.

I normally do not feel the need to feedback my holidays ......but they are so precious and expensive these days that I thought I would.

We have travelled widely over the years and have stayed in many lovely 5 star resorts. Unfortunately, this one does not match up in any way I am afraidI It has 5 star prices with absolutely no attention to quality of service at the front end whatsoever

The setting for the Hotel could be better. It is very built up and in a unkempt area with an even dirtier beach. However, it is not an Island resort so maybe that is understandable.

The Receptionists that I dealt with at the Divani Apollon leave a lot to be desired. No eye contact, or interest in me whatsoever. Even when I made it clear I that I wanted their help and attention.

When I finally got it, they dismissed me before I was finished (on more than one ocassion)

For example :I ordered a Taxi for the airport. They queried it, I confirmed it, It arrived on the wrong day. I rebooked it, they confirmed it, it did not arrive, reception suggested that I had not booked it at all and denied all knowledge of the scenario the day before!!!

"Leave your room at 3pm" they said. At your peril!!. You get locked out at 2pm and the card key is revoked.

All the above misunderstandings would have been absolutely okay if when I / we attempted to sort them out I / we were not treated with such blatent disinterest.

Away from reception, things were not so bad but on one ocassion I was made to feel like a Martian with a nuclear weapon in my hand - I was shouted at - yes shouted at in the breakfast lounge for using wrong bread in the toaster - shame on me!

Another time I asked for tea bags for the room , a reasonable request you may think ........Alas I was refused.

The Spa itself is a nice area, very soothing - and the Spa Manager did seem to know what he was doing. But what a rip off. We had a couple of treatments each at around 150 eu a time and were told we could not use the facilities (pool) unless we coughed up 45 eu more each day - which we ended up doing.

There were some positives, the Chamber Maids, Bell boys, Room service and Coffee bar staff wer exemplary. Perhaps reception should take a leaf from their book!

Reception can make or break a Hotel in my opinion. If I were the Divani Apollon's General Manager, I would take a serious look at this feedback and use it in a training session for his /her staff

IIf you are looking to stay at this hotel, think again,

• Liked — It was clean
  • Disliked — It was only for five days
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank DiamondHornchurch
chicago
Reviewed 4 March 2008

Stayed here for three days with a number of wedding party attendees. We had a mediocre view from our room of the construction going on next door, but the room wasn't really the issue, it was "fine" and the issue was with the service. Now, the exception is the Divani in Meteora, but I'll write that one up over on that page...

Absolutely no place to park (but that's Greece) at this hotel, and absolutely no help from the hotel staff. we did notice that the owner's vehicle, the Lotus or Maserati, managed to get front stage passes every day, tho.

Need a glass of water? Great, we'll serve it to you at the bar, but you can't take it with you to your room. If you want your water in your room, you'll have to order room service because you won't be allowed to take the item from the bar to your room...better yet, just buy your own bottled "Nero" at the concession stand in the lobby.

Want some coffee while you wait for your party in the lobby? No problem and you'll need about 30 minutes to get the attention of the wait staff, complete the order and then...wait.

Need a taxi somewhere? Stellar, but don't try to order more than one car to take a group of people somewhere, because they won't pick you up, they'll pick up whomever is out there waiting for a cab because they're not easy to get.

Rude? yes. Especially to the Americans, (and believe me, this group was not the typical ugly american crowd) and we were all speaking Greek. Big parties are their specialty here and if you're not in one, forget it.

Not exactly the 5 star service I expected, and for the money involved, I would expect the Greek service industry in these types of venues to get a clue.

The breakfast buffet was nice, the restaurant and bar food were great, but my gawd was the service horrible and with a frown.

If you can overlook long delays and outright rudeness, I would recommend this place for its outdoor amenities. For the money, the rooms were just...meh.

• Liked — Indoor and outdoor pools, proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — the hotel staff
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank ciarrasbc
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 January 2008

we have spent there one week in July`07.

it`s really 4* hotel, but it has some issues...

advantages:
1. close to Athens (20 min by car)
2. two nice pools
3. at the sea

disadvantages:
1. huge highway next to the hotel.
you hear thousands of cars constantly during day and night.... not pleasant at all...

2. beach is TINY!!!!!!!
they advertised it as they have a private beach - but it`s literally 30 steps long! and it`s a corner of a city public beach and everyone can step in there from crowded public beach - so this "private" beach is a joke, really.

3. slow service.
for example I odered a sandwich at the pool once, I was waiting for an hour!

4. there were 3 of us in one room - when we booked the room they sold it for quite high price, actually full price for 3rd person as well. they had to provide an extra bed, but they didn`t!
i am not 100% sure whose fault it is - maybe a travel agent`s but most likely - hotel`s fault.
what they provided was a strange small smth which is probably okay for a child to sleep, not for an adult at all. if e knew they are not able to accomodate 3 people, we would go for 2 separate rooms then.

there are A LOT of pilots and airlines staff in the hotel. also there are a lot of businessmen. who stay 1-2 nights. they are coming and leaving, coming and leaving.
it gives you the feeling of crowded busy place.
this is what this hotel about. if you are in Athens for a day or two it`s probably a good choice.
for a nice peaceful vacation at the sea you better go far away from Athens.

P.S.: food at the hotel was OK. we only had breakfast though.
there is a restaurant right next to the hotel, at the beach.
go for it - the grilled calamari are FANTASTIC, also greek salad and the other stuff too.

• Liked — 2 pools
  • Disliked — close to highway
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank ladyasya
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2007

This is a Leading Hotels of the World hotel that I stayed in for a week on a Business Convention with my company. The hotel is of a very high standard, rooms were great, staff excellent, food good and excellent facilities. There is also an excellent spa with lovely treatments though I had no time to use them. What is really sad is the location of the hotel, in the middle of a non descript town and although the hotel has it's own beach it is very dirty. I think if I was paying for this myself I would have been very disappointed and it is a good half hours drive from Athens. Best to go there and drop out and enjoy the spa if you cannot find anything better!

• Liked — Clean quality rooms
  • Disliked — Location and motorway traffic noise plus dog's barking!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Smt_RT
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 23 September 2007

This is a fantastic property. Right across from the sea, with several pools and lots of amenities. Unfortunatey I was there on business, and had little time to enjoy most of what the hotel had to offer. What I did get to use however, I enjoyed.

The staff was great and very accomodating. The view from my room was fantastic. The hotel was clean and everything was quality. The shower was strangely configured, but not that anything was wrong with it, it was just odd. The included bruch was also excellent.

Finally, if you stay there, walk across the street (towards the sea) and turn right. There is a taverna and restaurant called Zaphyres. My father is originally from Greece, and he suggested the restaurant as it is one of his favorites. Without a doubt, it was some of the best food I had on my trip. The dolma (stuffed grape leaves) and tarama (fish roe dip) are both fantastic.

Another nice place to visit is the small whit chapel right in front of the hotel. Having been brought up in the orthodox religion, I found it touching and very much a connection to Greece.

The only downer, and I can not blame this on the hotel, is the beach by the sea (which I am not sure is even run by the hotel). It is sad to note that Greeks seem to smoke more than anyone in Europe, and many people stubbed out their cigarettes in the sand at the beach. It is very ugly and everywhere you walk there are cigarette butts.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The outrageous charge for internet access (20 Euros for a day) - Highway Robbery!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank cr8it
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vouliagmeni
The Margi
Amarilia Hotel
Amarilia Hotel
#4 of 7 in Vouliagmeni
Brasil Suites Hotel Apartments

Been to Divani Apollon Palace & Thalasso? Share your experiences!