“Beautiful hotel with fantastic service - I highly recommend”
Review of The Margi

The Margi
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Vouliagmeni
Reviewed 22 April 2010

I spent quite some time choosing a hotel in Athens for this last trip before I go on maternity leave. I travel to Athens regularly and stay in the usual dull chain hotels (Marriott, Hilton etc). We wanted to stay out of town and Vouliagmeni is a nice spot although the public beaches are not much to write home about - you really need to pay up to visit private beaches and beach clubs (such as Balux in Glyfada - great fun!)
So, after much consultation I booked the Margi and we were really impressed. I am a sucker for 'boutique' style hotels and this really didn't disappoint with assorted antique furniture everywhere, lots of nooks and crannies to sit and have a romantic drink and really special rooms. We actually stayed in three different rooms during our stay including the Premium Suite which was truly fantastic and worth it for a special trip. Otherwise the Executive rooms were very well appointed, perhaps with small bathrooms but so beautifually decorated and tranquil.
The staff here have clearly been well trained. They are professional, helpful and make a big effort to make sure their customers are satisfied. We were staying during the "Volcano Crisis" and they were working very hard to keep everyone happy, change bookings etc yet still had time to do the usual liek advise on sightseeing, book taxis/restaurants.
High points: breakfast - delicious, having a nightcap in the candlelit courtyard, the view from the suite at the top of the hotel, huge beds, the professional yet personal service.
Not so good - the food was interesting enough and well presented but it's not really a 'destination' restaurant. Fine for one night but for a special occasion go up to Ithaki or into Athens. Good tavernas within walking distance as well as places to have coffee/a sandwich during the day.
This was a really important break for myself and my husband and I can honestly say The Margi really delivered. Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank In_the_Woods4

Reviewed 7 April 2010

I have been fortunate enough to stay at the Margi twice now. Once in the summer last year with my family, and another, this year for a short 3 day stay for work.

My wife and I were a bit dubious about staying in Athens before adventuring off to Santorini and Skiathos. But being cultural enthusiasts, we thought it would be sin to go to Greece, and not explore Athens’ cultural magic. We decided 3 days would suffice.
If you are expecting a stereotypical ‘Grecian’ white washed, blue-shuttered hotel, thankfully, this is not it. That’s what the islands are for. This hotel has a definite sense of calm about it. I would best describe the décor as a bit eclectic with a colonial and Moroccan influence. On our first day we spent a few hours great hours at the pool.
One of the staff suggested that we make use of their bicycles to explore the area. Being an avid cyclist, this was like music to my ears. We explored the suburb of Vouliagmeni, and the coastline, which truly is beautiful, in a quaint -gentle way. We rode along the never-ending coastline, discovered more restaurants and came across a wonderful beach, which is merely a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

The rest of the days, we spent sightseeing, which was the purpose of our Athens stay. The history and sense of heritage this city has is indescribable. Athens from the outset is not the ‘prettiest’ city compared to other European cities, but once you are ‘in’ the city, the energy and vibrancy of Athens cannot be compared to any other.

The hotel organized a babysitter to look after the children one night. My wife and I were able to enjoy a fabulous dinner in the centre of Athens. The food in the hotel was never short of delicious. The restaurant by the pool, comes alive at night with a magical vibe.
After an incredible 3 days in Athens, accomplishing all the sightseeing that our hearts could desire, and being completely overwhelmed by the unexpected beauty that Athens beholds, we were grateful that we decided to stop over in Athens and truly pleased at our choice of accommodation.

In February of this year, I had to return to Athens, this time alone, and for work. I chose to stay at the Margi again because of my previous great experience. In winter, the atmosphere is very different. The fireplace was burning, and with the pool and poolside restaurant closed, the hotel seems more intimate and cozy. Although, I missed the poolside restaurant, in the winter months café tabac takes its place. I became a resident diner at Café tabac for the 3 days I spent in the Margi. The restaurant is small but not stuffy and is tastefully decorated in soft natural hues. My meals were all great. On the last night I discovered, the chocolate raspberry dessert, it was this dessert that inspired me to write this review on the Margi. It is probably the best dessert I have ever had. Words, I think will minimize the experience, it’s something that has to be experienced, as does the Margi on a whole.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
7  Thank traveler-charlie
Reviewed 18 February 2010

I stayed at the Margi for 3 nights in January on a business trip. The reality of the hotel was such a pleasant surprise. I have become accustomed to a hotel's website creating high-expectations and painting a very different and far-more glamorous picture than the truth.

On arrival into the Margi, I realised for the first time, reality exceeded my expectations. What you see on the website, is the real truth. But in reality, one can truly experience the magical ambiance that pictures cannot convey. The hotel has a very intimate and cosy atmosphere. Close attention has been paid to the decor and up-keep of the hotel through out. It felt like home away from home.

My room could have been a tad bigger, but the view of the pine-forest made up for it. The food in general was great. I highly recommend dinner at the in-house restaurant (cannot remember the name), my colleagues and I thoroughly enjoyed the food.

My only regret, was that I could not stay longer.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Nadiva
Reviewed 5 January 2010

A perfect spot for business travel and relaxing on the beach in between.
I had a business week and thereafter my wife joined me for the week-end. It was a very nice week oveall.
No parking problem (quite rare for Athens)
Easy to reach both Athens and Piraeus.
Beach at walking distance
Nice and trendy restaurants at walking distance
Very nice pool bar and relaxing athmosphere.
Will return again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank hasselmc
Reviewed 15 October 2009

When you first enter, you a wonderful atmosphere with candles & pillows, a bar and you say to yourself, "nice place to escape from the city life". The rooms are clean but no big deal and small concedering they don't all have a view to the sea (and with the price you pay....)
The service in the morning & afternoon (pool bar-restaurant ) is horrible. You better have drank your coffee somewhere else or will fall asleep again. Besides all this, the staff tries their best. They are very polite and nice. I would recommend this hotel but not in peak season and make SURE you book a room with sea view.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank seasite
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Having spent two nights in the centre of Athens to see the sights, at an unexceptional (albeit 5 star) hotel, we caught the bus to Vouliagmeni for 1 euro each! The bus stopped within walking distance of the hotel, and we regretted not having chosen to spend all of our trip to Athens at the Margi. It was beautiful, stylish and relaxing. An unprepossessing hotel (of 70s construction?) has been completely refurbished to luxury standards and is as elegant as the website indicates. On arrival, we were upgraded from a superior to executive room with dual aspects over the bay and pine forest. The nearby village had a range of restaurants and the beach only a short stroll away, although the pool was so lovely we used it exclusively. The hotel has bicycles parked at the entrance which we took on a whim to Lake Vouliagmeni (on loan as distinct from hire) when the doorman suggested we use them, even though this too was in walking distance. We then borrowed them again the next day to cycle to the head of the penisula. Fantastic hotel, obliging staff, lovely breakfast at side of pool.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sardon
Reviewed 10 September 2009

We stayed for 4 nights in July, in an executive room.

+ Pleasant interior decoration in all public spaces, clearly a well designed hotel.

+ Breakfast was very good.

+ The pool bar, the Malabar, attracts a nice yet quiet crowd throughout the day and into the night thus creating a very pleasant atmosphere.

+The location is very good for a stay in Vouliagmeni. All nearby beaches ( private, municipal and the free one ) are less than 5 mins walk from the hotel. The private Asteras beach is expensive but well organized. As the beaches are located on opposite sides of the narrow peninsula where the hotel is located, one can pick his spot depending on the direction of the wind. It takes about 20-30 minutes to drive to the airport, and about 30-35 to reach the city center.

+There are many nearby restaurants worth a visit, Ithaki in particular being outstanding no less due to its excellent views.

+ The staff were helpful and quite nice.

- Rooms were OK, decent size with nice furniture but the bathroom is very small. The balcony on our side overlooked the pool and also the buildings on the opposite side of the road.

- We did not try the hotel restaurant which is well regarded, but the room service we ordered once was mediocre and expensive ( re-heated risotto and an unremarkable burgher ). Clearly not a good value for money. Minibar prices are very expensive.

- The pool due to its small size is more intended as a decorative element for the bar than for actual swimming.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tashko
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vouliagmeni
Vouliagmeni Suites
#6 of 7 in Vouliagmeni
Amarilia Hotel
#3 of 7 in Vouliagmeni
Divani Apollon Suites
#4 of 7 in Vouliagmeni
Syntagma
Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Been to The Margi? Share your experiences!