I spent quite some time choosing a hotel in Athens for this last trip before I go on maternity leave. I travel to Athens regularly and stay in the usual dull chain hotels (Marriott, Hilton etc). We wanted to stay out of town and Vouliagmeni is a nice spot although the public beaches are not much to write home about - you really need to pay up to visit private beaches and beach clubs (such as Balux in Glyfada - great fun!)
So, after much consultation I booked the Margi and we were really impressed. I am a sucker for 'boutique' style hotels and this really didn't disappoint with assorted antique furniture everywhere, lots of nooks and crannies to sit and have a romantic drink and really special rooms. We actually stayed in three different rooms during our stay including the Premium Suite which was truly fantastic and worth it for a special trip. Otherwise the Executive rooms were very well appointed, perhaps with small bathrooms but so beautifually decorated and tranquil.
The staff here have clearly been well trained. They are professional, helpful and make a big effort to make sure their customers are satisfied. We were staying during the "Volcano Crisis" and they were working very hard to keep everyone happy, change bookings etc yet still had time to do the usual liek advise on sightseeing, book taxis/restaurants.
High points: breakfast - delicious, having a nightcap in the candlelit courtyard, the view from the suite at the top of the hotel, huge beds, the professional yet personal service.
Not so good - the food was interesting enough and well presented but it's not really a 'destination' restaurant. Fine for one night but for a special occasion go up to Ithaki or into Athens. Good tavernas within walking distance as well as places to have coffee/a sandwich during the day.
This was a really important break for myself and my husband and I can honestly say The Margi really delivered. Enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A boutique hotel and SLH member in the most exclusive area of the Athenian Riviera, Vouliagmeni, The Margi hotel is a heaven away from home. In an ideal location just a few steps from the Riviera’s most elegant sandy beaches and close enough to Athens Historical sites. With its superb cuisine and organic food from its farm, friendly and attentive staff and exquisite design, this hotel offers a truly memorable experience and comfortable ambiance for all travelers all year round. Over the years, owner Maria Stavridis’ and her son and Architect Giagkos Agiostratitis personal touch and care is evident in the warm and chic atmosphere she has created in the hotel by combining artwork from all corners of the world with soft traces such as candlelit tables and plush furnishings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Ebookers, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your The Margi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Margi Hotel Vouliagmeni
- Margi Hotel Athens
- The Margi Greece/Vouliagmeni