“Excellent spot but worst Internet”

and 1 more site!

Great View
Good Breakfast
Best Japanese Restaurant
but
Worst Internet. If you intend to go on vacation, that's the perfect spot, if you need to stay in touch with work, your roaming will work better than the hotel Wifi...

Room Tip: Ask for Sea View
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear csacy;
We are grateful for your comments on your recent stay at The Westin Athens hotel, as such information enables us to continually improve the service we are offering and we thank you for your support.
We truly appreciate your feedback and all of the great compliments surrounding the comfort of your room, our breakfast quality and variety, the great view and Nobu restaurant.
On the other hand I was truly sorry for the challenges your encountered with the internet connection which were due to a technical problem that occurred during the previous weekend.
I sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you to the Arion again and provide you with the experience you should expect to receive from us.Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Probably one of the most spectacular views around Athens, overlooking the riviera, blue waters, green tipped red hills.

The lobby area is clean and friendly, though has a slightly "dusty" atmosphere fitting rather an East European hotel of the '80ies.

The room was large, clean and had all amenities. I liked the silent A/C particularly at night. With some effort, the rooms could be even up to the 4-5* standard, eg ironed linen (it smells fresh, but looked used) and clean the shower head once in a while from limescale (ie in a shower I prefer having the water on me, not all around me).

The Taverna 37 restaurant, I propose to avoid though: beautiful outdoor seating, but very average food (least tasty I had in Greece) and very unhappy personnel. They reminded me of prisoners, rather than a motivated, friendly staff. Some of the, did not speak a single word, neither in English nor Greek to us.

Perfect place for business meetings in the Athens area, avoiding the noise and troubles of downtown.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Matyas L
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear MatyasL;
We are grateful for your feedback on your recent stay at the Arion, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa hotel, as such information enables us to continually improve the service we are offering and we thank you for your support.
I was very pleased to read that you were satisfied with the views, the beaches and enjoyed hotel’s location.
On the other hand, I was sorry to read that we have failed to meet your expectations in certain areas during your recent stay with us.
Your sincerely,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I absolutely agree with other reviewers that this is not a 5-star experience; at the moment, this is a 4-star, at a push. The hotel cashes in on the unbeatable location: in a classy Athens suburb right by the sea, with a chance to swim in the gorgeous Olympic-sized pool of the Westin next-door, or at one of the two private beaches. It is also clean and the rooms are spacious, with nice bathrooms, and the small gym is fairly well equipped. That’s where the positives end, important as they are. The service can be unacceptable for the standard they aspire to: the staff at reception did not have basic information as to advertised services of the hotel; the room had no tea/coffee facilities, no kettle; the staff at the cafe brought me a menu but never returned to take an order even though it was not a busy time; the cappuccino at breakfast was always cold; the man making the eggs clearly needs further training; the staff by the pool were speaking in loud voices to each other about guests whose “English was not very good.” It is a shame because I thought the members of staff, for all their unrefined ways, were well-meaning enough. The blame seems to lie with the management and their reluctance to train them properly (either that, or in these times of crisis for Greece, they select untrained staff on the cheap). Last but not least, you absolutely pay through the nose for everything (I challenge you to find many places in the world that charge in the year 2014, 12 Euros for a cup of coffee! I mean, the location is nice but not that nice, no matter that the Greeks are slightly deluded about this being “the real estate fillet of Europe”!) In short, the only things that were five-star were the prices. Pity because this is an Athenian institution with decades of history.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Practised_traveller,
I appreciate the time and effort you put into recording your comments concerning your stay at the Arion, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa hotel. It is mainly through our guest’s feedback that we may discover ways to upgrade our services and facilities to impeccable quality standards.
I was very pleased to read that you were satisfied with the comfort of your room, the gym, the pools and beaches and enjoyed hotel’s location.
On the other hand, I was very disappointed to read that we have failed to meet your expectations in certain areas during your recent stay with us.
We do try to get all of our associates trained at the same standard to respond to each and every guest’s request but as you describe, we still have our challenges at times.
Regarding your comment on the pricing policy, although our prices are in line with all other deluxe hotels in Athens, your point has been taken into consideration.
Despite our shortcomings on this occasion, we truly hope you will give us the chance to restore your trust in our services and give us the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Arion hotel.
Complex General

Reviewed 7 June 2014

To echo other reviewers, this is a beautiful, usually tranquil spot to use as a base outside the city of Athens.

Our family of three stayed in a Grand Deluxe Garden View Room, booked using SPG reward points and cash (for the "Grand" part). The room held the three of us nicely with a king bed and rollaway. The room was very nice, quiet, and comfortable, and the bath was pretty and huge. The balcony was very nice. We visited the bar (expensive) but not the restaurant (too expensive - 30 euros for breakfast). The garden view is lovely, facing south and looking over trees toward the marina and Myrtoan Sea. The sea view rooms face Astir Beach to the north, and may have a sunset view in the summer. Athens itself is blocked by a ridge. I don't think the sea view is worth the premium during quiet time, but might be more interesting in summer.

The facility is pretty, but a little run-down in spots. There is a "beach" close by, a large sun-deck and bar, watersports rental, an infinity pool, spa (we didn't use), and reception garden for weddings and such. The staff was courteous and helpful (especially housekeeping).

While the hotel was quiet during our 15-17 May visit, we were told that business conferences were beginning the following week, and that the hotel would be very busy...would've changed the complexion of things.

For our one dinner in Vouliagmeni, we took a cab to Ithaki Restaurant - highly recommended.

If I had a wish, it would be for in-room coffee...or at least a cheap cup downstairs in the morning. Overall, we were very pleased with our choice to escape downtown Athens and stay at the Arion.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear kidmiles;
We are happy that we have fulfilled one of our missions: to make our guests stay memorable.
I was especially glad to read that you truly experienced a large number of the services we have to offer.
I have passed on your comments to the line staff about their excellent service, they were most happy!
Thank you also for your suggestions which have been taken into consideration.
Your sincerely,

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed here in April, so it wasn't too busy - location wise you are about 40 minutes from central Athens, but if you want a base away from the city, this is hard to beat. The hotel overlooks a beautiful bay and has its own enclosed swimming beach (as well as an infinity pool). The room I had had this view and it was great to sit there each morning on the small terrace and take it all in. The breakfast buffet was extensive and very good and overall the food during our stay was of a high standard and you'd certainly never starve. The hotel concierge arranged for a taxi to take us to the Temple of Poseidon at the southern tip (highly recommend) for a half day trip and overall were very helpful when we needed anything and also arranged transport for us back to Athens, which was convenient (if a little pricey) at the end of our stay. Not a hotel to stay in if you are planning to spend time exploring Athens, but as an escape from the city (and the heat in the summer) and a place to relax, it would be hard to beat.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear nickworld08,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments for your stay at the Arion, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa hotel under this forum.
We were happy to read that you had a memorable stay and you were satisfied with the extensive breakfast and its qualityt, the hotel's location, beaches and views.
We hope to welcome you back soon in our hotel.
Yours sincerely,
Michael Metaxas

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is an ideal hotel to stay in if you are planning to visit Athens but don't want to stay in the city itself. It has a reputation for being one of the more expensive hotels but we certainly got a very good deal. It may be because of the economy and hotels generally reducing their prices; I am not sure.
I love the secluded setting and warm shallow waters. The beaches are not huge but perfectly acceptable for what was otherwise, for us at least, a short city break.
There are great views from either side of the hotel and the only thing stopping me giving an excellent rating were the restaurants. They are perfectly acceptable but not quite to a fine dining standard.
That said, if I was visiting Athens again, I would be short listing the Arion.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear TedToToe;
On behalf of the entire team at the Arion, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa hotel, I would like to thank you for your feedback on your stay with us.
We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed all elements of your stay.
We are indeed very proud of our resort.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed for four days in two bungalows each with their own pool - it cost almost £1000 euros per night in total - I think the word bungalow is a slight strech as its basically one relatively small room with a bathroom - but the views were beautiful and the small pool and own patio overlooking the beach was great. Generally we had fantastic food - the breakfast buffet was particularly good. We had kids with us and there are a lot of business people in suits around but it was still child friendly, the staff in the restaurant and bars were great and it is a nice hotel which is should be considering the price we paid for it. The beach was also completely empty most of the time so it felt like we had our own private beach.
However - my stay was dissapointing as I was so tired due to the noise every night - outside the bungalow is an electric blind which looks very nice but during the night it bangs on the frame creating a very loud noise every 10 seconds or so - the first time I heard it I got up as I thought someone was knocking at the door it was that loud - I spoke to a very arrogant and rude woman the next day who said very bluntly "I'll talk to housekeeping" but it was never fixed and therefore we were kept awake virtually all night for the whole stay. I think if the staff on reception had been a bit more friendly I would have gone back and tried again but the woman I spoke to was very arrogant and unhelpful. The facilities and the hotel itself is lovely but when you are paying almost 1000 euros a night you expect at the very least to be able to sleep - its impossible to enjoy the rest of the hotel facilities when you are so tired. I was also a bit put out that when you are paying this sort of rate you also have to pay an additional 15 euros a day for wifi. We were also not told on check in about the free minibus to athens. Overall not sure I'd recommend this hotel considering the price which is a shame as the location is perfect.

Room Tip: If you chose a bungalow make sure they've fixed the noise problem. There is a free shuttle to At...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear CGALL1,
Kindly accept our most sincere apologies for the negative impression that your stay left.
Considering our e-mail communication regarding your stay, I shall limit myself to confirming our offer.
We hope that despite our shortcomings on this occasion, you will nevertheless grant us a renewed opportunity to welcome you back to the Arion hotel and provide you with the experience you should expect to receive from us.
Complex General

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vouliagmeni
The Margi
#4 of 7 in Vouliagmeni
Amarilia Hotel
Amarilia Hotel
#3 of 7 in Vouliagmeni

Been to Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!