“Amazing location but overrated permisses.”

Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Vouliagmeni
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing location but overrated permisses.”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I was quite keen to spend some time at this resort for a few years but the reviews have been so inconsistent that I rather go somewhere else. However, this year ( late July to August ), I have decided to visit Athens and its Coast opting to spend 2 whole weeks in Vouliagmeni and to review an Hotel for my very first time in Trip Advisor.

Interestingly, I can now understand the reason why for so many negative reviews but also for so many great ones. The balance is, in my obvious opinion, that everyone having rested at 5 Star Luxury Resorts anywhere else in the World would expect way better from Arion.

On the other hand, the location is idyllic, with outstanding views, adding up something very special to the Arion Resort.
My guess is that most of the bad reviews came from people that have traveled a lot and know the difference between REAL quality and the average one.

There's two very important elements that are straight away caught to the eye. One is the state of the Resort, and the other is the staff.

I did stay in a room that definitely need some serious refurbishment. The size was fair ( room 1310 ), nice balcony with views to the garden and to the marina, very comfortable bed and bedding's, and a decent sized bathroom. However, I believe that is not very politically correct to dedicate a room to guests that are spending a fortnight in a room next door to a " service room". The housekeeping phone was ringing every minute of the day, the staff had loud and long conversations when we were trying to rest and doors were being opened and closed insistently.

The room is still glamorous to the ones that still live in the 70's and a leak in the bathroom shower would not allow us to have a shower without some serious flooding. Although the cleaning staff was extremely polite and helpful, we found at times that the service was done in a rush. Toiletries and towels were changed sometimes twice a day, vacuum cleaned on a daily basis but the dust seems to be " part of the furniture ".

The breakfast was served every morning until 11 AM. The quality, as mentioned by almost everyone is extremely good, with plenty of local products and with a wide variety of choices touching every sort of taste and diet. The problem, again, is the staff. Some of them go the extra mile whilst others do not bother at all. To serve in a 5 star Exclusive Luxury Resort is not the same as serving in a Greek Taberna but for some of the staff there is no difference whatsoever. This is all management fault and most of the Hotel staff is in desperate need of training to cover at least the Customer Service basics and to behave in accordance to guests expectations.

I presume that there is 2x supervisors in the Breakfast Room ( at least they wear different uniforms ). One of those two, a lady called Elizaveta is a real star. Extremely professional and polite, dedicated and pro-active. The other, is extremely elitist, indiscreet, rude and resembles a bouncer of a lap dancing club. One local showing wealthy accessories would be treated really differently from a foreigner wearing probably even more expensive items. It would get even worst if the guest was of female nature...and alone!!! That would actually be ridiculous to see how his hormones would hit the fan, forgetting about the other guests, and letting the other colleagues ( some 70% probably ) down. Every morning this person was on duty, I was asked for my room number, and he would turn his back on us to double check in the log book, to confirm if we were some sort of burglars or breakfast crashers. Apart from this very sad element, I have to again send a huge BRAVO to Elizaveta, Christos and Mr. Stelios for all the great service you have provided. Kudos to all of you.

The Concierge Service was mostly helpful, and the Valet parking Staff offered a few times to park my rented car and picking it up whenever necessary without any frills or drills.

Upon our arrival to the Hotel, we were very welcomed by the Receptionists on duty. During check out, Maria made our departure less sad by providing a very efficient service and allowed us to stay for a couple more hours without any extra charge.

The Restaurants are all fantastic. It is worth for all its quality and service although Nobu can be very noisy at times.

To break some sweat, I could not forget to mention the gym. Wooww...it is way better than the one I use back home.

To finish, it is a must to make a reference to the Pool and Beach. The infinity pool is suuuuuperb. One of the best ones I ever seen in my life with outstanding views over the sea. The beach is marvelous!!! I have no words to express how beautiful it is. The beach staff, from the beach carer to the waiters made our holidays absolutely fantastic. Thank you to you all, mainly to George, the gentleman with the dark sunglasses, the girl with the green sunglasses and the beach carer. You were absolutely perfect. We will never forget you!!!

Back to the Hotel, and in a nutshell, the staff desperately need proper training, a lot of refurbishment, lights in the stairways leading to the swimming pool and beach, to be stricter with the way the golf carts are dangerously driven, and better amenities or you will get absolutely bored, and nicer staff at the SPA. Some were so rude that i felt not even tempted to try it.

Oh...and by the way, XXI Century and no free wifi? I shall rephrase, I am very sorry: XXI Century and being extortioned to access wi-fi in the room? What Planet do you still live on?

Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank OportoWindsor
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear OportoWindsor,
We would like to thank you for having chosen our property to spend your summer holiday in the city of Athens and for taking the time to share your detailed feedback, it is truly appreciated. Please note that we take all guest reviews very seriously, both positive and negative, and through them we are able to seek knowledge and growth to better serve our guests.
It was a pleasure to read that you were satisfied with the majority of services rendered. However, concerned to read that we have failed to meet your expectations in certain areas.
We understand your disappointment concerning some of our staff member’s performance. We do try to get all of our associates trained at the same standards to respond to each and every guest’s request but as you describe, we still have our challenges at times. Please accept our sincerest apologies.
We will of course share your thanks and kind words with the associates mentioned in your review.
We greatly appreciate your review and your points have been taken into consideration.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with the experience you should expect to receive from us.
Complex General

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I have been staying at this hotel for over 20 years, when it was still owned by the government. It's still the best place to stay in Athens since you are close to the best neighborhoods and above all you have a private beach. Avoid weekends during the summer since the hotel gets packed. Try staying in a bungalow since the main building is getting old. The hotel was bought by Four Seasons and should be closed next year for a complete renovation. The Taverna is great for lunch and Matsuihisa for dinner. Excellent breakfast with variation on fresh fruits, honey and yogurt.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jwatalla
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear jwatalla,
Thank you your loyalty and for posting your review on your recent stay at the Arion, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa hotel.
Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are happy to learn that you consider our hotel the best place to stay in Athens.
We have noted that all the facilities and provided services were to your complete satisfaction.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Athens!
Sausalito, California
Reviewed 9 August 2014

It was an easy 20 min drive from the airport to the resort. As soon as I walked into the lobby, I just loved the feel of it. It felt very Hollywood glamour. I waited for a receptionist to help me and when she was done, another guest quickly swooped in to ask questions. She was trying to check in her friends but the receptionist quickly told her that I was next which I really appreciated. She quickly checked us in, went over restaurant options and let us know to call if we wanted to make any reservations at the restaurants on premise.

Our spacious room was amazing! It had a city hotel feel with stunning views. I loved that the bathroom had 2 entrances from either side of the bed. The bathroom had a separate shower and tub. The tub was my favorite as it had a huge window to look out over your balcony to the water. The balcony was good size and had 2 lounge chairs. There was also a walk in closet. Everything about the room was perfect! Wi-fi worked well (fee for service).

We enjoyed the beach area very much. Although the hotel was full, the beach area was empty as most guests were there for a convention. It was fabulous! We walked to the other side so we were facing the hotel and despite being so far, the server was always around when we needed something.

Breakfast was delicious and had a little of everything! The chef was great- he gave us his recommendations and you could tell her enjoyed what he did. Service was a little slow with the coffee but it could have been because they were setting up for lunch.

We tried to get reservations at Matsuhisa but there was nothing available until after 10pm. We took our chances to see if there was any availability at the sushi bar. The front desk called for a gof cart to take us. We got lucky and scored 2 seats which we were thrilled about as we prefer to sit there rather than at a table. After much debate, we decided against the Omakase as there were a lot of other things that we wanted to get. It was really our lucky night Tony, the head sushi chef, was helping us. He was such a pleasure to talk to and he really made our dining experience so memorable. Please let him congratulations on his newest little one :-) I definitely recommend having a car so you can get off the resort for meals. All of the restaurants are pricey and there is so much great food in Athens!

My only regret was not staying longer! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MissBabblicious,
We appreciate you taking the time to post such detailed and positive comments on your stay at the Arion, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa hotel - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.
I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed all ellements of your stay and that you truly experienced a large number of the services we have to offer. We are very proud of our resort.
Once again thank you for your review.
We look forward to welcoming you back during your next stay in Athens for a longer period this time!
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed here on our summer holiday (July 2013) for 5 nights. Room was large, clean with good working AC. Bedding was excellent. Restaurants were good but relatively expensive. The pool and beach area seem to be belong to a different hotel : messy, old towels,... The complex is quite large and the staff is not very accomodating and no info is given about the facilities. Overall it is has the potential to be a nice hotel but they are currently not worth a 5 star nomination.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank vogelsv
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear vogelsv,
We would like to thank you for having chosen our property to spend your summer holiday in the city of Athens!
We are delighted to read that you and your family were satisfied with the comfort of your room and bedding, the cleanliness and all the facilities. That is truly appreciated!
On the other hand, we were sad to read that we have failed to meet your expectations in certain areas during your stay with us.
We greatly appreciate your review and wish you could give us another opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with the experience you should expect to receive from us.
Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just returned from an eight day stay with my 19 year old son. We had and Excelsior deluxe room, which meant we had a marina view room on the 4th floor with its 'club lounge'.
First the good things. The hotel is part of the Astir complex. There are two hotels, the other being the Westin. The facilities are fairly extensive and spread out so nothing seemed busy, at least during the period of our stay. Lots of options for sunbathing, poolside, waters edge or small beach area. The setting is lovely and as other reviewers have commented the views cannot be rivalled.There are several restaurants, although opening times vary so the options were not as extensive as I had hoped. We ate in the complex most nights, the Japanese, Matsuhisa, is outstanding, but really expensive budget at least 100 euros a head. Also the Galazia Hytra, based in the Westin is very good but again expensive. We ate in the a la carte section, there is a different menu for the traditional greek section.
Our room was acceptable, reasonably large and clean. The bathroom was spacious with a separate toilet and shower cubicle and a bath. Well laid out if you are not travelling as a couple.
The marina view is actually overlooking the front of the hotel and therefore the car park, however you can just about see the marina and the sea views are extensive. This side has sun all day until around 5.
Now the not so good things. Firstly my main complaint is the cost of everything. Drink prices were fairly reasonable given this is a 5 star hotel but the food prices were not. For example, a simple chicken burger 20 euros, plus of course a tip. The hotel is set on a peninsular and there is very little within easy walking distance. I walked for an hour seeking a cafe for a coffee, nothing. There are several nearby beaches which looked to have good facilities but you have to pay to enter. Fine if you plan to spend some time there, but not for a coffee.
In my view the extra for the club lounge is not worth it, spend your money on a bungalow or a room with a sea view, which have great sunset views. The breakfast in the lounge was disappointing, not much more than pastries, coffee and orange juice. A kettle and a coffee machine available throughout the day, handy as nothing in the room and then a bar for an hour in the evening.
Some reviews I read described the hotel as needing an update. I can see why these comments were made but actually I think it is more slightly faded elegance. Nothing appeared to be damaged or in need of repair, the hotel just doesn't have a 21st century feel, however I quite liked that.
Our room description said we would have electronic blinds and a comfy chair with an ottoman. It had neither and the single beds requested were not there. This was rectified, apart from the blinds.
Given that the complex is large there is not sufficient information given about the facilities and I was left feeling that whilst the staff are friendly and try to be helpful there was something missing, compared with other hotels in this category.
I think that there is so much competition now that this hotel is losing out when travellers compare it with other 5 star hotels. They do need to address a few things, especially as the hotel is marketed as high end with certainly high end prices.

Room Tip: Avoid the Excelsior rooms/suites not worth it. The bungalows looked good, but very spread out so ens...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank patriciabarton
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear patriciabarton,
I appreciate the time and effort you put into recording your detailed comments concerning your stay at the Arion, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa hotel. It is mainly through our guest’s feedback that we may discover ways to upgrade our services and facilities to impeccable quality standards.
I was very pleased to read that you were satisfied with your room, the pools and beaches and enjoyed hotel’s views and setting. I was especially glad to read that you truly experienced a large number of the services we have to offer. We are very proud of our resort.
On the other hand, I was sad to read that we have failed to meet your expectations in certain areas during your recent stay with us.
Concerning the Executive Lounge, indeed its size does not allow us to present the extensive breakfast variety of the main breakfast area, however our associates are at guest’s disposal to satisfy their requests.
Regarding your comment on the pricing policy, although our prices are in line with all other deluxe hotels in Athens, your point has been taken into consideration.
Despite our shortcomings on this occasion, we truly hope you will give us the chance to restore your trust in our services and give us the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Arion hotel.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel during our honeymoon, we had a sea view room, and the view was the only good things about this hotel.
We arrived late (around 1:00 am) the guy at the reception desk didn't bother to explain anything about the hotel facilities (where to have breakfast, how to get to the beach..etc), we thought perhaps because it was late, but the next day we realized that the low quality service is the hallmark of this place, almost everyone working in this hotel seemed to get annoyed if you ask them about something related to their job, from the front desk, to the guy bringing you towels at the beach.

There is no free WiFi in the hotel, and the place the situated around 30 minutes from Athens center. Again, the only good thing about this hotel is the room view, I guess there are better options if you're planning to stay in Athens.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mohamed S
westin_mgt, General Manager at Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Mohamed S,
Thank you for your stay with us.
We genuinely value our guests’ comments and regret when their expectations are not met. We understand your disappointment concerning some of our staff member’s performance. We do try to get all of our associates trained at the same standard to respond to each and every guest’s request but as you describe, we still have our challenges at times.
Please accept our sincerest apologies. The issues raised are certainly not reflective of the usual standards of our hotel.
Concerning your comment for the free WiFi, kindly note that this is offered complimentary in all the public areas and only in the privacy of your room is payment required.
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us through Trip Advisor.
We hope to have you back at the Arion allowing us the opportunity to demonstrate the level of service you expect and deserve.
Санкт-Петербург
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel doesn't merit five stars.
1) beach is in a mess, nobody cleaned it for a week, beach umbrellas are broken. We asked a beach boy to repair our umbrella but our request was ignored. Beach towels are ragged.
2) the furniture in rooms wants repairing. The door in the bathroom doesn't close. A latch of the front door is also damaged. The manager as well as a beach boy didn't respond to our request to do smth with the door.
We wish that the hotel will pay attention to our requests, criticism and remarks at last.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Egorkinm
Dear Egorkinm;
Thank you for posting your review. Feedback from our guests allows us to constantly improve our service. Considering our ongoing e-mail and personal communication, I would like to re-confirm that the broken umbrella and rubbish in the sea featured in your photos where from a sudden weather change. The beach area is cleaned twice per day (morning & evening) and maintenance/removal of damaged items takes place as well.
I shall limit myself to say once again that I remain at your disposal for anything you might require while you are still with us.
Complex General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vouliagmeni
The Margi
Divani Apollon Suites
Divani Apollon Suites
#7 of 7 in Vouliagmeni
Brasil Suites Hotel Apartments

Been to Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!