“Come here before the Bernabeu!”

Estadio Vicente Calderon
Madrid River Park Private Segway Tour
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Come here before the Bernabeu!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Unfortunately for the Vicente, we visited the Bernabeu before this stadium and therefore were left slightly underwhelmed by the experience as a whole!
I do feel sympathetic towards Athletico Madrid as they are simply the underdog and severely shadowed by the glory of Real Madrid- but what can you do?!
Firstly I will recommend going to the local tourist information center where we found "minicards" which entitled us to 10% off our ticket price. We felt incredibly stingy as the ticket was a very small amount anyway. When we arrived we had to wait for the next stadium tour guide to arrive, so we spent a short while looking around the museum. Where Real have hundreds of trophies in sparkly cabinets with graphic effects and media everywhere, Althetico simply have a historic collection of memorabilia. Again, I was totally underwhelmed. I don't know much about football so it all went straight over my head. We then decided to go to Burger King and come back to wait for the guide.
When the guide arrived, she was amazing. She was so knowledgeable and helpful- she even done the tour in both Spanish and English to accommodate the guests. We proceeded to have a tour of the stadium itself, sitting in the stands, the press box, press rooms and eventually down onto the pitch. It really is tiny compared to the Bernabeu and I know I should appreciate this stadium for what it is, but it's so difficult to not compare the two.

Generally it was a fun way to waste some time, it literally cost peanuts and I'm sure somebody with an inkling of football knowledge would have enjoyed it much more than me.

I will advise that you spend some time walking through the park which is alongside the stadium as it's like a little slice of heaven in a big crowded city. I presume it's not as popular as the Park de Retiro- somewhere we didn't manage to visit.

Generally I feel if you visit this stadium BEFORE the Bernabeu, you're likely to appreciate it more.

Visited June 2014

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A classic stadium”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Cool place to visit!

Spanish peapol loves football and calderon is a good place to see football.
Atletico madrid fans are passionet and pretty loud. Everyone was eating pipas during the game so after the game the stadium was covered in seeds i thought it was funny!
Is pretty old stadium.so no luxury but its ok.
No beer sold in the stadium only 0% beer.

Visited December 2013
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Atletico VS Ac Milian”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Visited this stadium in March to see a champions league match. Missed the first goal of the match due to the ticket turnstiles. Then when we finally got in the stadium somebody had sat on our seats as many other fans we resulted in sitting on the steps.

Despite the shakey start one of the best nights of my life the atmosphere was incredible, previous to this match we went to watch Real Madrid VS Levante and felt it lacked any kind of atmosphere.

The metro is really easy to use and is a short ten minute work to the stadium. My only criticism is that we never did the stadium tour. Great stadium with great history will definitely have to make another visit when atleti move into their new ground!!

Unfair to compare real madrids ground to atletico due to the substantial amount of funds real has.

Visited March 2014
Evergem, Belgium
364 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 221 helpful votes
“Soccerfans”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Another stadium to visit when you are in Madrid. Problem here is that they only do guided tours on certain hours. I only saw the stadium from the outside, not as impressive as Bernabeu but still worth a visit. Theres also a museum, small restaurant and a shop. Bit on the outside of Madrid but not really far..

Visited June 2014
1 Thank HugoColle
St. Petersburg, Russia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nice stadium, but they really need a new one.”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Not as big as Santiago Bernabeu and it is visible that team is waiting for new stadium and don't spend a lot of money to keep existing in good condition. Good museum and guided tour has nice route (it is in Spanish, so may be what tour guide said was also interesting, but I don't understand a word:) ).

Visited May 2014