“A Fantastic Stay in Alcala”

Parador de Alcala de Henares
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Alcala De Henares
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our stay in this Parador immensely. The innovative structure marries the remaining features from the historical building with the design and facilities of a four-star hotel, and the location within Alcala is great. Our room was fantastic, but perhaps most pleasing was the fact that the appropriately attentive staff went out of their way to help, not least catering for a gluten-free diet (something which furrows many a brow in Spanish restaurants).

Whilst paradores are never the cheapest option, we found it to be very good value for money, especially as we used their 'five-night card', which gives the equivalent of a rate of €110 per room per night (with breakfast).

Room Tip: Not a point about the rooms per se, but it is worth applying via their website for an 'Amigos de...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hispanisto

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is a beautifully restored convent, turned hotel. I have nothing but praise for the redesign of the place which is sympathetic yet modern.
It is lovely to walk into a hotel room which doesn't have the standard layout. My room was huge, well designed, spotless and comfortable. Loved the shower!
I was there on business but can easilt see myself staying there for relaxation.
I'd have given it a 5 but the food was AWFUL.....4 cold scallops for 22euro, breakfast was poor, and lunch dire. Spain is a food heaven for me so I'd eat out next time!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This Parador is hosted in a XVII century building, but do not expect to find ancient furnitures or old ages atmospheres... everything has been restored in a modern way, which is a little in conflict with the expectations for an "historical" Parador.
Anyway even if inside it seems more a modern wellness centre instead of a convent, the building is in the center of the town and close to almost anything remarkable.
When we stayed in town there was a well organized medieval fest in the street of the center (I suppose it is an yearly event happening on October) and it was a good surprise to wander among stands with handcraft and street food sellers (even if this "masked" a little the original look of the town).
Rooms, service and breakfast are high level as always in Paradores; undergroung parking is available at a daily fee.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I have stayed at a number of Paradores and adore them. We chose to stay at Alcala de Henares while we were visiting Madrid. The Parador is fantastic. Yes, there is part of it that has been built in a historic building, but everything is updated and modern. The rooms are elegant Spanish design, with limestone bathrooms and lovely appointments. It is a romantic setting for couple, even when the hotel is hosting a conference. The food at the restaurant and cafe is terrific, and the hotel was gracious and let us have an early breakfast before heading out to catch a very early international flight.

The town of Alcala de Henares is charming.... a university town. However, it is about 30/40 minutes from Madrid. This meant we had a bit of a commute (and a car in Madrid for the day) but the lodgings were so comfortable, the commute seemed worth it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

I only spent one night at Parador de Alcala, but what an experience! Compared to other hotels in the neighbourhood, price is high but looking at what you get, price is more than justifiable. Rooms are very spacious, tasty designed, wifi is free throughout the hotel and connection is excellent. Breakfast is good. Only negative point: my room's A/C was not able to decrease temperature (though A/C was switched on whole night). Opening the windows would have been a better option. Nevertheless this will not prevent me from coming back and highly recommending this hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank embend
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Parador de Alcala de Henares is a modern hotel hidden in a historic shell. The rooms are sleek and super comfortable, spacious enough to accommodate an extra bed so our daughter could share our quarters. (We were in Alcala de Henares to visit her while she attends the university there.) The shower was particularly 21st century! Breakfast was delicious, but that was the only meal we took during our stay.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. They even helped me troubleshoot a vexing computer issue!

If there's anything we could change, it would be the ability to have greater control over the thermostat. (This wasn't just an issue an Parador de Alcala de Henares; it was the same at every hotel we visited in Spain.) This is not to say that the room wasn't comfortable. We just would have preferred a room that was slightly cooler.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kvonkeller
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I really like this hotel. The rooms are comfortable, modern and quiet. The bathroom sofisticated and practical. Location is great, just metres away from the city centre in the heart of the old town. The restaurant is good, however I was expecting more given the high scores given and how good the rest of the hotel is. I didn't try the spa. I will love to be back to the hotel, I will skip the restaurant and try something else.

• Stayed: December 2013