“This is seriously BLAND and just NOT good Indian food. :(”
Review of Bombay Joes

Bombay Joes
Ranked #7 of 14 Restaurants in Ladner
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Vancouver, Canada
“This is seriously BLAND and just NOT good Indian food. :(”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I don't like giving bad reviews especially if it seems like a mom n pop's kinda owner. But WOW, How does this have 5 stars? Seriously, Really Bland, tasteless Palak Paneer. The butter chicken was fine but no spices. Even the Naan bread didn't seem like real Naan. I had 0 taste of Indian in my mouth. We were SOOOOO disappointed.

My girlfriend's favourite food is Indian and we live in Vancouver and know all the best places. You can NOT compare this to VJ's. Even if we were on a bad night, the service was very lacking. We were sitting and waiting forever for our bill. Our waitress disappeared after we got our food. We were trying to wave down this other guy. It's a really small place.

Ambiance was weird. There was an Indian film playing but no music... it kind of felt like we were waiting in someones living room unattended.

We grew up near surrey, live in Vancouver.. no I have never been to India, but I know what tasty food is and you should try another restaurant if you are in Ladner.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Julia L

Vancouver, Canada
“The BEST INDIAN FOOD EVER!!!!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have travelled around the world & am very very picky about food. Without a doubt, "Bombay Joes, is better than Vijs' which is an acclaimed Vancouver Restaurant that serves many of the same dishes. The chef is extremely conscious about using fresh, natural and healthy ingredients to every dish. You will not be disappointed! I usually do not "dine in" as I prefer to invite friends over to enjoy the food. Left overs for the next day, if ever I had any luck, are equally amazing.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Lauren K
“Smoking hot Cast Iron Chicken”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

This wonderful family run restaurant produces some excellent food. We had the Cast Iron Chicken which is not for the faint of heart, if you order take-away, make sure you get it onto a ceramic plate before it eats through the take-out container. Great food, great people

Visited March 2014
1 Thank brentletaka
Louisiana
“I Wholeheartedly Recommend!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Yesssss, this was a delicious Indian dinner! We had heard of Bombay Joe's from coworkers and looked it up for reviews. The reviews were all very good, most recommending it for takeout. We drove there and had a little difficulty locating it because it is within a building that is all the same address. We parked and walked around and saw it. We thought we would probably take out, but we decided to eat there because it was a small, intimate setting and the tables and chandeliers were appealing Also, it was not too crowded or too cold inside so that made our decision to stay final. It definitely had potential for atmosphere, with the decorations and chandeliers, and with a little more effort, it could be really quite enchanting. For example, an Indian fabric draping down to hide some of the pipes and electrical equipment could be beautiful. In addition, turning off the television, even though it was showing a good Indian movie indeed, could be replaced with some mesmerizing Indian music to complete the charm.
Well, with all of that said, we were seated immediately by a sweet waiter and we promptly ordered. He guided us with menu choices, because I eat mostly at an Indian restaurant serving North Indian cuisine and Bombay Joe's serves East Indian food. We started with an appetizer of samosas, which were absolutely incredible! We also ordered a half liter of merlot, which was very reasonably priced at $12. Delicious wine and nice wine glasses added to the evening. Our entrées were chicken balti, oh my God, so delicious, and dal turka, which was a lentil type dish, and wonderful. Roti accompanied the meal and we added some garlic naan too. It was all delicious.
The service was so great in the beginning, especially. The waiter did deliver some extra spice to me since I like my Indian meals spicy. After that, though, he seemed to disappear. It was ok because we could enjoy ourselves and our meal, but then after awhile, we were ready to package up our leftovers and pay the bill but we waited a while until we got the attention of one of the family owners. Not a big problem at all.
All in all, I definitely recommend. This place is sweet, delicious, friendly, and family owned.
I will return! Loved it!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank amyjemesouviens
Vancouver
“Amazing food - a real hidden gem”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

It seems like everyone is a food critic these days, so I usually don't bother with restaurant reviews.

That said, I believe in recognizing exemplary food or services, so for that reason I'm giving a "shout out" to Bombay Joes.

We came out from Richmond on a Saturday night and stumbled across this place. It's a tiny, hole-in-the-wall place that would be easy to miss; it only has four of five tables and is nothing fancy, but the atmosphere is warm and there's a good vibe.

The food here is not your run-of-the-mill Indian fare. We had chicken korma, veggie pakoras, and some veggie dish that was like meatballs in a tomato-cream sauce (can't remember the name, we just asked the owner what he recommended). Without breaking down each item, I'll just echo the other comments here and say: utterly delicious!!

This is a family-run business and it's clear they take pride in what they do. Our server (the owner) was friendly and helpful. When we sat down, the first thing he did was thank us for coming in - always a nice touch. After dinner, the cook (the wife) came out and talked to us about food, the spices and preparation methods....very cool.

If you're looking for generic, all-you-can-eat-butter chicken Indian buffet-style food, this place is probably not for you. If you want fresh, delicious food made and served by people who clearly care about what they do, this place is worth checking out.

Highly recommended.