“The day after my best round of the year”

Kings Links Golf Course By The Sea
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Ladner
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

So I had the best round of the year the day before I went out at Kings Links. I heard it was a tough track so i went out to ground myself. The course is challenging and the greens are difficult. Ended up as one of the best golfing experiences I've ever had (worst round of the year). Beautiful vistas, wildlife and golf. Can't ask for much more.

All reviews
"beginners"
"scotland"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 16 August 2017

Our group does frequent bike tours. Today, we biked along the Delta Boundary Bay-Dyke, its a gravel road, but the view is nice, with lots of fresh ocean air. It's a great bike ride. Our goal was to have a late breakfast at the Kings Links Golf Club Restaurant. The Food was delicious, service very good and we didn't wait to long for our meal. The view of the Golf-course is spectacular, all around, a great place for breakfast or lunch. Of course, we will be back!

1  Thank soccerfan777
Reviewed 23 July 2017

We had visitors from Alberta on Friday and we took them to King's Links golf course for lunch. It's a great place to eat during the day, a large roomy restaurant overlooking the golf course and on a sunny day you can eat outside on a spacious patio.
Service is excellent and meal price reasonable.
You can find it at the west end of 72nd Street off Ladner trunk road. That's Highway 10 from Langley to Ladner. We've been there several times and always had prompt and efficient service.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

I am visiting from out of town and I have golfed around the world. This was, BY FAR, the worst experience I have ever had and worst I have never been treated, as a customer, EVER. This is the worst staff I have EVER seen. Unprofessional and contradictory.

Given the experience, I thought they would have compensated me a round of golf in the future or if nothing else a beer in the clubhouse as a show of good will for the negative experience, but nothing. So I walked away thinking this is the most unprofessional and rude group of staff I have ever seen. Clearly they are OK with how they do business and basically screw anyone that comes out as a single. I have played as a single ball 100’s of times during my travels and have never had anything like this happen, EVER.

The situation basically played out like this:

I call up and ask if they have room for a single out on the course. They say there are a few times they could slot me in. I ask them on the phone whether I need to book it or not. They say it’s up to me (suggesting I can book it). I choose not to because it’s only about 70 minutes from when I called and based upon other experience I think I’ll most likely get on.

I arrive and talking with the guy at the pro-shop check-in. He tries to get out me but time is too tight for the first slot as they are on the tee. He then tells me the other time I heard about on the phone has been filled by a couple of walk-ins. This all good and fair enough as I took my chances by not making a booking.

Me: Looks like I should have made a booking when I called then.

Check-in Guy: We don’t take bookings for singles. Causes too many problems. Often people that booked 3 balls show up with a 4th and it causes problems. You don’t want to be playing in a 3 ball as the 4th when you took someone’s spot.

Me: That’s your problem. If you let people book 3 balls and show up with a 4th, that is mis-management. If you let them do it then they will continue to do it. Also when I called in, the lady I spoke to gave me the option of booking as a single.

Check-in Guy: We basically don’t accept bookings for single. I can get you out at 4:09 (it’s about 3:30 at this time).

Me: OK (and pay my money and I go to the chipping green)

Check-in Guy: Comes out to chipping green a while later. Sorry, but we can’t get you at at 4:09. A 3 ball what was booked just showed up with a 4th. You don’t want to join them. I’ve seen fights start this way. But don’t worry we’ll get you out at 4:24 for sure. I’m not sure if you’ll be on your own or not but we’ll get you out then for sure.

Me: I don’t think this is very good business. I driven an hour to get here, have checked in an paid for that time. It should be my choice whether I get to play with the group of 3 or not. Not yours. I would expect that if I can’t finish my round in daylight now (due to being moved back to a later slot) you provide a refund.

Check-in Guy: you won’t be getting any refund (walks away back to the pro-shop)

Restaurant Guy: (comes out to chipping green) and says you won’t be going out at 4:24 and playing today.

Me: Are you the manager?

Restaurant Guy: I work in the restaurant.

I go back into the pro-shop and before I can get to the check-in guy some lady in the pro-shop basically stops me at the door:

Me: This is how you do business? I’ve driven an hour to get here, after paying I am confirmed 2 different times and they you tell me those times are no longer available? And you send someone from the restaurant to tell me? Really?

Check-in Lady: the 4:24 slot was taken up by a 2 ball and we made a mistake. And the guy that told you was one of the managers here.

Me: This has not been a very pleasant experience for someone coming to visit your course. I’ve driven an hour, paid money and then told I can’t play and a big part of the reason is because if a 3 ball books and shows up with a 4th you basically tell the single person they are screwed even if they’ve checked in and paid. I don’t think this is a good way of doing business and is very disappointing and you guys are full of contradictions. One person tells me a single ball can make a booking, the other person says no. A so called manager lies to me and tells me he works in the restaurant and you tell me he’s a manager.

There are always 2 sides to a story, so I would love to see management’s response to this.

11  Thank R B
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 June 2017

I golfed for the first time in a long time at King's links and was pleasantly reminded as to how nice this course is. The views and vistas are great from virtually every hole. The course has matured quite nicely and they keep it up well. The greens were moderate in speed, but, in quite good shape. After our round we went in to the new built clubhouse. They did a really nice job on this building and included much improved bathrooms with lots of space and showers. The food is excellent and the service staff were top notch. Fast, efficient and with a sense of humour. The place was full of people all ordering drinks and food, but, they handled it seamlessly. Good happy hour prices and the $5 wine was actually quite good. (and you know from my other posts that I am usually a bit of a snob when it comes to wine) The proshop staff are also great. It's also nice to see the owners involved and making guests feel at home. I'll be back soon.

Been to Kings Links Golf Course By The Sea? Share your experiences!