“Large room with amazing views”
Review of Rosewood Bermuda

Rosewood Bermuda
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Reviewed 30 April 2012

As soon as we entered our room, I was stunned by the amazing view of that unbelievably blue water! We were in the main building in Room 405, which the manager who escorted us to our room told us was the largest in the price category (that category being "the lowest price", I believe!) We had a small balcony with two chairs and a table that looked out over the pool and the harbor. What's more, our bathroom -- which was as large as some hotel rooms I have stayed in! -- also had a full length window with the same view, which you could enjoy from the clawfoot tub or even the separate shower.

Ok, I admit - the view was the second thing I noticed. The first was the tray with our "welcome drink" fixings - a bottle of Goslings, two cans of ginger beer, and some ice and limes with a recipe for Dark & Stormy! Just what we needed after several hours of traveling. It was so nice to mix up some drinks and enjoy them on the balcony as our first welcome to Bermuda. It was a nice-size bottle of rum, too - we were not able to finish it.

The bed was comfortable and the bedroom had two chairs and an ottoman in addition to the desk and chair, with plenty of floor space to set up suitcases. There was not much space for folded clothes - just two small nightstands and a really high shelf in the closet that I could not reach but that already contained the iron and an extra blanket anyway. The TV was in a weird spot, but I would rather enjoy the view anyway. As noted, the bathroom was huge but maybe not that practical - two pedestal sinks, a small piece of furniture you could use to place toiletries (but not really). There was a separate room for the toilet and a separate shower which was GIGANTIC. Strangely, there was no light in the shower. Bath products were nice (nothing I had heard of before - bottles indicated they were made for Rosewood) and the robes and slippers very plush.

Service was sort of strange. I usually put on the Do Not Disturb because I HATE when housekeeping replaces a towel every single time I use it - but I wanted to check out the turndown service. This consisted of replacing all the towels (of course, despite their "green commitment" postcard) and taking the slippers I had already worn on the bathroom floor and putting one inside the other (essentially, dirtying the inside of one) and putting them on a towel beside the bed. Nice touch as far as putting them by the bed, but EW on putting the bottom of one inside the other (I may be a bit of a germophobe and others would probably not notice this). What is more, they did not bother to clear our glasses, cans and limes from our Dark & Stormy drink. The next day when they serviced the room, they again took all of the towels, but left the beverage service (along with a coffee cup I had brought up from the morning coffee service in the lobby). Nor did they come and pick up my laundry until after I called to remind them. (Laundry was same day service and priced on the low end for a property of this type.) All of these are minor irritations, and the staff in the lobby was always most gracious.

The private beach was the best we have ever been to - good size, immaculate, nice sand, beautiful water. The staff promptly set us up with chairs, towels and umbrella and seemed thrilled with a tip. Bar staff at the beach was very friendly and, like a lot of people we encountered, had a great sense of humor. Only downside to the beach bar was they only had packaged sandwiches and bagged chips for food - I think this is because we were there before the high season. But they had plenty of drinks! The shuttle drivers were also amazing, super friendly. We walked back and forth to the beach a few times - 1.3 miles is not that far, people! - and they would stop us on the way to see if we wanted a ride. Once, a guy from the golf course picked us up in a golf cart because he knew the shuttle was full! All around great service from the transit staff.

The gym was well-appointed with a variety of weight machines, some free weights, and cardio equipment. I didn't use the cardio since it was too gorgeous outside not to go for a run every day, but it seemed to be always available. Gym was 24 hours with a room key.

Breakfast was pretty good but very expensive. We mostly got the muesli which was excellent, filling, and reasonably priced. One day I "splurged" (not really, breakfast was included in our room rate as part of a conference!) and got the egg white omelet with grilled veggies. It was good and the vegetables very fresh - tough to get in hotel, especially at breakfast! Coffee was not so great. Service was good. We had lunch by the pool one day, and service was pretty slow. The food was good but not remarkable.

The grounds were lush, green and beautiful. I loved the roosters everywhere! This location is pretty close to the airport but not that far from anything really. We also did the scooter tour that departed from the cycle livery (coordinated through a group) and the staff there was wonderful as well.

Room Tip: Try for room 405! We also heard the villas were huge and amazing and some people were put there when...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Heather H

Reviewed 22 April 2012

We spent 10 days at Tuckers point resort. The service, ambience and above all the friendly attitude we were shown was unrivaled. We had a smiths king villa. Very private and quiet, very spacious with great views from the sunbed! We are not really foodies but any of Chef Bottellii"s creations were beyond wonderful. We found when you added taxi fares to the cost of eating out it wasn't worth it. Especialy when you have world famous cuisine right at your resort.

We stayed here in early april. There were some cool days, but the lack of crowds made up for it.
We did try a few island restaurants. We had easter brunch at Four ways, fantastic and yummy.
We had lunch at The Swizzle inn. A favorite among locals, but the food was very average.
Had lunch at Flannigans bar in Hamilton, very nice, friendly staff.

Definitely take the bus for your day trips. Very safe efficient and cheap. If you get a $12.00 day pass you can use it for the ferry to the dockyard also. We spent a day at the dockyard and enjoyed it very much, well worth the time.

Tuckers point while very formal was also quite relaxing and stress free. If you book with the hotel do not bother with the $45.00 one way ceo airport transportation company. The trip from the airport to Tucker's Point is 3.5 miles 9 minutes and 47 seconds. A local taxi will cost $18.00 - $20.00. The private beach was beautiful and as nice as anyone could want. no need to go to anywhere else. We should mention the stairs. There were about 100 stairs from our villa to The point restaurant. So if your knees are not ok this may be an issue.

We will be back!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The villas are very quiet and private. Plus you get a bit more sun than the castle harbour rooms.
2  Thank sunscreen61
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Husband and I have just spent 8 idyllic days in a Pagets Villa room here. Completely restored, renewed, rejuvenated. Million dollar view from our balcony ( which has bistro table plus double wide cushioned chaise). Everyone, and I mean everyone, is kind, happy, pleasant, helpful. You can walk to Tuckers Point Golf Club and to Mid Ocean ( can play there MWF), they transport your clubs. Or they would transport you, but we like to walk. Sitting in the library having coffee and doing NYT crossword this morning, we were offered lens cleaner cloths, as the barista noticed we both wore glasses.

Food is amazing. Chef Botelli is creative and knows what he's doing. We went to Italy for three weeks last summer, he has two shipments from Italy per week... its the real stuff. Fresh burratta w grilled cantalope and proscuitto drizzled w balsamic, open faced wild mushroom and spinach lasagna ( saute fresh spinach and fresh wild mushrooms, layer w two homemade squares of pasta, and cover w just right amount of bechamel, top w pesto), beet salad ( beet sorbet, julienned roast beets, goat cheese baked w panko, micro greens), brownie ice cream sandwich w choc dipping sauce, a true chocolate souffle, exquisite lamb, beef, pork, chicken... I could go on. Creative drinks such as Dark'n'Stormy, Rum Swizzle... Clubby feeling bar to casually dine, or we play cards there after dinner each night.

Beach club is a tram ride, but you can walk the 1.5 miles observing roosters on the golf course.

For trips, Rented motorbikes one day. Motorized bicycles as I am not jazzy enough to ride a Vespa style scooter. Enjoyed buzzing to Hamilton, ate at Little Venice (same ownership group as this hotel's restaurant). Did the walk through Crystal Caves. Exciting day. Took taxi to Port Royal Golf Club, about $35 each way. Site of fall Four Champions tournament.. Worth playing.

Its been cooler here than the Caribbean, but perfect golf weather. Even with hoghs at 70, I've enjoyed a few hours each day of beach or pool sunning.

Tuckers Point is tropical but not harsh.Its comfortable, soft, so pleasant. And I like that everyone seems happy. Even the folks working at shops in Hamilton were happily chatting with each other. Life is good!

Room Tip: get a balcony w view. i think rooms w pool cabana arent necessary, its shady all afternoon at that p...
2  Thank othello1111
Reviewed 13 April 2012

What a pleasure to stay, work and play at Tucker's Point. Peerless public spaces, pools, spa and guest rooms. Wonderful food and service. Will return, hopefully soon...

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We enjoyed a long-awaited weekend at RTP, having sized up the new property back in 2009. Overall, a positive stay, with a very clean room, spacious grounds, excellent ocean view, generally good service, decent fitness center, and spectacular (though expensive) spa treatments. Free water and complimentary champagne was plus (not sure if this is part of every package). With one exception, the food and poolside service was quicker and more courteous than at other typical island destinations. It was too windy and cold to stay around the beach area, so we focused on the pool. On at least one day, I can agree with a previous review that the pool area was swarming with unattended or poorly supervised children, but that's more the parents' fault than the hotel's, and Euro-owned resorts tend to pander more to families. The private balcony in our room provided a great retreat. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, the restaurant selection is a bit limited, but we didn't have any bad food during our stay (didn't try the formal restaurant). Room service food arrived freshly prepared. The golf course looked unbelievable, but we didn't play. We did wait 1/2 hour for taxi service one day, and this area of the island has little else to offer outside of the fun Swizzle Inn. A day trip to St. George was disappointing: Unfortunately, since larger cruise ships no longer anchor on the St. George side, the town has become a shell of a central attraction. Given it's close proximity to the airport and very short flight from East Coast destinations, the trip to RTP is well worth it if the weather is decent.

Room Tip: Sun rises seaside.
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I am a loyal rosewood customer. I have been to many of their properties, some of them several times over (I think Las Ventanas is the best place on earth). My husband and I visited Bermuda simply because this Rosewood opened. I am well travelled and I admit a bit of a hotel snob but if you are used to staying in Rosewoods, Four Seasons, One&Only etc you probably are too. I am a little confused by all the glowing reviews to be honest so below is my take.

The Spa: My services at the spa have been excellent. The locker room and showers are great. However, the facilities are very bare bones. There is no sauna, no steam room, no jacuzzi (actually there is no jacuzzi on the entire property). The relaxation area is very nice but I recommend only using it in the morning or evening because it is located adjacent to the main pool and you can hear all the noisy children. Other than that my actually services have been excellent but I am disappointed at the lack of amenities. There is a small sauna in the gym but there is not near the spa at all.

The beach club: The beach is very nice. It has been unbearably windy and thus you cannot sit by the beach club (not the rosewood's fault). But the beach is a solid 15 minutes away by tram/shuttle. You cannot walk it. By the time you wait for the shuttle and get there its 20 minutes minimum to get to the beach. Oddly, at the beach club there is no kitchen and really no food. There is a bar and they only provide sandwiches wrapped in saran wrap behind the bar. Literally like mom used to make for your lunch. This is all they provide. A bit odd given how far away it is from any restaurant. When we asked about alternative dining they suggested the clubhouse at the golf club but having been reprimanded the day before for wearing flip flops and tshirts into the clubhouse eating area, we knew that wearing our beach gear into the golf club wasn't going to fly. So to get a full meal you will have to wait for the tram/shuttle and go all the way back to the hotel.

The pools: the main pool is very nice but it is full of children. If you are a young couple traveling without children the noise level will likely be irritating to you. Oddly we noticed that several families tried ordering off the menu because despite all the children at the pool, they have no kids food menu. Also--the service level while good is not quite like a traditional rosewood property. Usually at rosewoods the staff is fawning all over you attending to every possible item you need. At the smaller and more adults oriented pool, there are not very many chairs, about 8-10 and are mostly full all the time. These pool also hosts the rooms that come with their own cabanas. I was in one of these rooms. While this is great in the early part of the day, after lunch all the cabanas are completely covered in shade. So nobody really wants to use their cabanas and thus all the chairs are taken.

The rooms: the rooms are very nice and spacious.

Restaurants: Limited dining options. The main dining room is jacket required. Casual fare is a small restaurant near the main formal dining room. The town of hamiltion is about a 20 minute and 25 dollar cab ride away, any regular casual restaurant you may want to visit you must take a taxi. So for any dinner you should add about $50 due to taxis as you cannot rent your own car in Bermuda.

If you are a couple traveling with no children who is only interested in playing golf at tucker point then you will likely love this hotel. Or a group of guys only interested in playing golf, then its probably great. But for any young couple I do not recommend it. If you have kids, I would not recommend it a I can only imagine what a pain it is to pack up your family and load them on the beach tram for 20 minutes. And then there is no food there. There are definitely more kid friendly spots.

14  Thank robinnyc1
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is a wonderful hotel on the beautiful island of Bermuda. Easy to get to but hard to leave. The fancy restaurant is delicious and the spa is a good as I've ever seen and felt. They have a great private beach not far away and golf and tennis are on the property. Bermuda is expensive, but it's safe and very civilized. I highly recommend this fine new hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Rosewood Bermuda? Share your experiences!