“Gorgeous property, relaxing vacation”
Review of Rosewood Bermuda

Rosewood Bermuda
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Reviewed 12 August 2012

This is an amazing property with beautiful views from every direction. We stayed five nights with our toddler daughter. The level of service in most areas was wonderful. The room was very clean and well decorated. The doorman was extremely friendly and helpful in getting us taxis and making sure we got where we needed to go. Most of the front desk staff was extremely helpful in making us dinner reservations and suggesting places to eat.

The private beach is beautiful and has a lot of nice amenities. The beach club has a restaurant, two swimming pools, bathroom and shower facilities. The trolley that takes you down to the beach is a nice ride, affording you beautiful views of the property. The pools at the main hotel are beautiful. Pool-side service for drinks is a little slow. Some days the service was better than others.

Dining options at the resort are somewhat limited. We ate breakfast at the hotel every morning. Most mornings we ate at the Point. Breakfast was good, but expensive and service was somewhat slow. Two mornings, we just got muffins from the library coffee shop and they have free coffee and tea available during the early morning hours. We had dinner one night at the Beach club which was very good and the atmosphere at night is nice. We ate lunch there several days as well. Service was somewhat slow here as well, but all the servers were very pleasant. After finding out that a jacket is not required anymore for dinner at the Point, we had dinner here one night. The food was excellent, service left us a little disappointed.

A few negatives which keep me from rating the propery excellent:
1) After booking our room through Rosewood customer service on the telephone, I received a traveler preference form with our confirmation and was told to complete it and submit to the hotel. I specifically requested no feather bedding in our room as my husband has severe allergies. Once we arrived, our room was not ready so we went to have lunch while we were waiting. Our room was ready shortly after, but once we arrived we noticed the pillows and duvet cover were filled with feathers. We got ready to go to the pool and I notified the front desk of the problem and asked that the bedding be changed while we were out. When we returned, the problem had not been remedied. On our way out to dinner I asked the front desk again to make sure the bedding was changed. On our way back from dinner, I was notified that the bedding had all been changed for us. What is the point of a guest preference form if the requests will be ignored?

2)We decided to pay extra for a transfer to/from airport through the hotel to ensure we had a car seat for our daughter. I emailed with the hotel to confirm this specific request and was told a car seat would be provided. When we got to the airport, the van that was there to pick us up had no car seat and didn't know anything about the request. I notified the hotel upon our arrival but they didn't have much to say. I requested the return trip to the airport be cancelled. We paid twice as much as a taxi would have cost for no reason.

3) On two occasions, we had absolutely no water in our room. Once early in the morning and once in the late afternoon while my husband was in the middle of showering. The water was off for 20-30 minutes each time. When paying $700+/night in a 5 star hotel, you expect to have running water at all times.

The property is in Tucker's Point, on the east side of the island, which is about a 20 minute drive to the city of Hamilton or to Paget. Expect to pay for a taxi to/from the hotel if you are planning to eat off the resort or do any site-seeing around the island. Average trip is $22-25/each way.

We drove past several of the other resorts we had considered staying at and were pleased that we chose to stay at Rosewood.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank luvgreece
Duncan_Graham_RTP, General Manager at Rosewood Bermuda, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Rosewood Tucker's Point. Thank you for the feedback as well - we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Reviewed 24 July 2012

Stayed for four nights and truly enjoyed our stay.

Pros - The rooms are spacious, very well appointed and clean. The entire staff was friendly and fun with an emphasis on helping you enjoy your stay in every way possible. The concierge was outstanding - they helped with reservations, recommendations and even arranged for a difficult special request on the fly. Location is great and the pools and beach club are very nice. I did not mind the ten minute golf cart ride to Beach Club because the dirvers were funny and gave out advice on where to eat and entertainment. Ate dinner at the Beach Club and sat ocean front with great food and service. Get over to the Swizzle Inn via cab - a must stop for lunch or dinner. Entertainment at night is fun. Hamilton is a nice day trip as there are good pubs (Hog Penny, Pickled Onion and Flanagans) and shopping is pretty good as well. Tucker's Point Golf course is very nice (not Port Royal or Mid Ocean but very nice.) FYI - If you plan to play golf at Port Royal or Mid Ocean you should bring your A game because they are both very challenging but worth the views. Mid Ocean is a trolly ride away but Port Royal is half hour away ($50+ cab ride.) I would recommend taking a caddy at Mid Ocean - very poorly marked for distance and local knowledge would be very helpful.

Cons - Beach club ran out of towels - hard to understand how that could happen. May seem like a small thing but you need a towel at the beach. Not a place for kids IMO. I did not bring my kids but it is a quiet setting that is ideal for couples - not kids. Menu at the Tavern is identicle to the Point restuarant with the same prices. Do not eat at both.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kevin k
Duncan_Graham_RTP, General Manager at Rosewood Bermuda, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such lovely comments about Rosewood Tucker's Point. Additionally, thank you for the feeback from the Beach Club and dining options. We will definitely address and monitor. We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 21 July 2012

My wife and I spent four days in Bermuda and chose Tucker's Point primarily because of our very positive past experiences with Rosewood Resorts. Tucker's Point mostly lived up to its reputation and that of its manager, but we felt it lacked some of the atmosphere and charm of other Rosewood Caribbean Resorts. (The same, incidentally, can be said about Bermuda itself: everything is bright, beautiful, clean and well maintained to the point of being almost Disney-like artificially perfect; besides the friendliest taxi cab drivers ever, we could not find a true soul to the place, but we must also not forget that Bermuda features an active financial services economy and has become a daily calling port for large cruise ships that tower over hills and the houses; if you are looking to stay away from tourists, head for Saba.)

The hotel building lacks in character but not style; the same can be said about the rooms, bright and classy with great beds and bathroom fixtures, but the same you'd probably find in Miami or Laguna Beach. The Point restaurant turned out to be one of the best - if not the best - hotel restaurant we have ever tried, worth the hassle of bringing a dressier change of clothes for the night.

The hotel grounds are beautiful and, thanks to clever siting and landscaping, the villas scattered around the property do not clutter excessively the area. We are not golfers, but at times we wish we were just to take advantage of what looked like a great course.

The sand and the water at the Beach Club are fabulous but they can get crowded. The food at the Beach Club was consistently good, but, even if it had not been, the view would have probably distracted even the most finicky eater.

The service picture, however, was mixed. The bell and concierge staff - mostly made up of locals, it seemed - was extremely friendly, whereas the front desk and restaurant staff was a little colder and less natural. Two nights out of four we did not receive turn-down service, the toiletries were never replaced even though it was clear we were using them up, the very kind gesture of leaving wipes for the glasses was a one-time event even though we could have used them every day, renting snorkeling gear was quite expensive, and we had ants frolicking around a couple of walls (which I guess beats encountering other, larger tropical critters). None of these issues were big deals, but not something we would have expected at a Rosewood Resort with rooms in the $1,000/night range. That's why I rate this hotel average for Value - compared to similar places of course.

Tucker's Point (TP) represents our third Rosewood experience in the Caribbean/Atlantic after Little Dix Bay (LDB) and Caneel Bay (CB) (we hope Jumby Bay will be next!) so here are some comparisons, keeping in mind that Rosewood hotels are all deliberately different and unique with the only common denominator - at least in theory - being a very high standard of service; and that Bermuda is really NOT the part of the Caribbean.

ATMOSPHERE: Choose CB if you want to feel like living in a natural park with more spartan accommodations to match and TP if you are looking for a high-end resort feel and do not mind being often surrounded by the same types you'd meet at the Hamptons or Nantucket - being so close to the East Coast is both a blessing and a curse. LDB is a great compromise.

BEACH: TP features the best sand I have ever seen and, probably thanks to the currents and the waves, the water is not as salty as in the Caribbean. However, the Beach Club looked and felt like, well, a beach club, whereas the beaches at CB and LDB have more of a natural look. Also, the convenience of the immediate proximity of most LDB and CB rooms to the beach cannot be underestimated for both the kids' energy and the parents' sanity. We did not notice the waves and undertow in Bermuda being a problem for even the smallest children as long as they are supervised.

FAMILY ACTIVITIES: all resorts are family friendly, but both CB and LDB seemed to offer more opportunities for either lazying around at the beach or experiencing adventures at sea without leaving the property.

FOOD: TP superior by quality, variety and venues.

SPA: I'd have to ask my wife, but I'd say they are all equally excellent.

Room Tip: Top floor for sure. And we found the view over Harrington Sound to be a lot more attractive than t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AndreaZana

Thank you for your feedback concerning Rosewood Tucker's Point - I'm glad to hear that you overall had a nice stay and thank you for your kind comments regarding The Point and the Beach Club. We are definintely looking into the service issues you experienced and appreciate you bringing them to our attention, as this is the only way to ensure improvement. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you as a guest at Rosewood Tucker's Point again in the future. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

This was our family's second visit to Bermuda. During our first trip last year we originally booked at Cambridge Beaches only to find out the day before we departed that they were an exclusively adult facility. Fortunately, we were able to book a room at Pink Beaches which was an outstanding property with great services but very dated. We loved the island; hence, we decided to return for a week this summer and chose Tucker's Point. This resort is simply the most luxurious hotel in Bermuda. The rooms are wonderful and the beds and bathrooms are outstanding. The beach is possibly the most beautiful I've ever seen. The only drawback is you do have to take a trolly from the hotel to the beach club but it is dependable and runs every 15 minutes. You have 3 pools to choose from on the property and they are all in great shape. We did go to the Spa during last year's visit and while the actual facility is well appointed the services were not good. The staff at the hotel is polite and courteous. While not as over the top friendly as the Pink Beaches staff they were professional polite and responsive. The Point is a well decorated restaurant with great views and service. The food was just average so I'd recommend taking a five minute cab ride to Tom Moore's Tavern if you want to be blown away.

Overall, I'd highly recommend Tucker's Point. We are considering the fractional ownership opportunity since we plan on making Bermuda and Tucker's point a yearly vacation stop.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Chris D
Duncan_Graham_RTP, General Manager at Rosewood Bermuda, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback. Please let us know if we can answer any questions about our residential community. We hope to see you back at Rosewood Tucker's Point very soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I live on the Island and took a visitor to the spa here for a $115 pedicure, within 48 hours the polish is a mess, the experience was fine, the spa is lovely but the services do not match the pricing, there are better spas on the island, then we went to lunch by the pool as the spa menu left a little to be desired, here the service was TERRIBLE, no second drinks offered until my glass was turned UPSIDE DOWN on the table, wrong food brought, when I finally got someone to take the order for a second drink it never did come, its a beautiful resort with inadequate staff for the price you are paying you expect exemplary service

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
15  Thank h w
Duncan_Graham_RTP, General Manager at Rosewood Bermuda, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

We are so sorry to hear of your recent experience in The Spa and during your lunch service. If possible, we would very much like to speak with you regarding this matter.

I can be reached on my direct line at 441.298.4022 or via email at duncan.graham@rosewoodhotels.com. Alternatively, Paul Telford, Director of Rooms is available at 441.298.4031 or paul.telford@rosewoodhotels.com.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

This is an unusual and difficult place to review. Everything is letter perfect - the staff is friendly, the rooms are immaculate. The food is certainly adequate or better. But to me the place felt soul-less. That is, it could have been placed anywhere: Phoenix or Laguna Niguel or Miami or Cape Cod, and it would have been exactly the same. There is not a hint of Bermuda left in the place - it is all 100% Rosewood corporate corporate corporate. All the receptionists dress exactly the same - navy skirts, one-buttoned pale blue sweaters all buttoned exactly the same way, heels, all beautiful. Remember the movie The Stepford Wives? OK, maybe you're too young - 1975, Katherine Ross. You could look it up. The staff reminds me of those folk - always perfect, always smiling, always "neutral spirits", like they say about alcohol - no character. Aside from the super doormen in their (fake) pith helmets, I didn't see any staff that appeared to be Bermudian. Restaurant server staff, terrifically nice, especially at the Beach Club, seem to be all from Eastern Europe. I happen to love Eastern Europe, so that was fine, but it isn't Bermuda.

One major factor is that Tucker's Point wants to be a "club", and it is selling residences, one recently, says the ever-looping video near check-in, for $7 million. The minimum share is something like $355,000. To this end, it looks like they have built on every square yard of the property. Unless you get a room on a high floor or close to the water, you are looking out over roof tops (see pix.) The most desireable locations and views are the sold residences. This makes perfect sense as a business model, but not, perhaps, necessarily for guests who are not owners. And they are starting a whole new phase.

BTW, we thought the food was better at the Beach Club than it was at the fine dining restaurant. The staff there was more fun too. Don't believe another reviewer who writes about long waits to get there - the transportation was always prompt, and it took maybe 8 or 10 minutes.

My personal opinion is this - if you can stand the occasional frayed amenity holder or older piece of furniture, but with charm and Bermudian staff and Bermudian flavor, try Cambridge Beaches. It has been there something like 50 years, right on the beach, no travel involved. It is rehabbing these days, but it is honest to god Bermuda, not cookie-cutter corporate. We did four nights at each place. I would go back to Cambridge again and again - some people have been back 30 or 40 times. I wouldn't go back to Tucker's - I can find its ilk anywhere.

Room Tip: We had room 102, which had a huge terrace with a huge lounger, almost bed size (see pix), but that o...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank johnH1892DD
Reviewed 23 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the first part of our honeymoon recently-and we loved it! The islands of Bermuda are stunning and it has to be one of the friendliest places on the earth. The service at the Rosewood is excellent and the resort itself is gorgeous, relaxing and peaceful. 6 days here felt like 2 weeks, and in a good way!!! Thank you to all at the Rosewood for helping us to revive from a hectic wedding, and to Bermuda for making us fall in love with the place. We will most certainly be back and recommend staying here.

• Stayed: May 2012
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Rosewood Bermuda? Share your experiences!