“Perfection in Paradise!”

Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Just back from an amazing 7 night stay at Grotto Bay. What a great hotel with a great staff and great facilities. The reception staff were wonderful and special mention needs to go to Allantae who went far above the call of duty! She spent a great amount of time trying to help me to get my phone to work in Bermuda and to help us be able to contact our son back home. The room was always kept clean, the food was delicious and the staff, from the pool man to the general workers, would greet you with a smile and a happy greeting wherever you went. Great location near the airport with excellent bus service to anywhere in Bermuda.

Enjoyed kayaking, swimming in the cave, the heated pool, afternoon tea, and the amazing view from our balcony. This was my 5th trip to Bermuda and my wife's 3rd and we were thrilled with the hotel. We love Bermuda and the people and will be back again!

2  Thank DavidS70

Reviewed 31 January 2014

This resort has so much to do whether you want to relax or sunbathe. There's so many water activities: swimming in hidden caves, fish feeding, snorkeling, windsurfing and kayaking just to name a few.

It overlooks the airport, but the planes don't fly overhead. The resort is surrounded by water on two sides and what a great view.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank WomanAlwaysOnTheGo
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is a wonderful hotel. Everything is very clean. The food is great and very varied. The staff are friendly and helpful.
The swimming pool was a good size and I enjoyed swimming in the grotto itself.

4  Thank Maureen B
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I have used This hotel Grotto Bay many times and now I recommend it to my clients.. Travels with Sara only uses tried and trusted properties and this one delivers.. They remember you and treat you with special care. This hotel is quite close to the airport and as the island is not very big nowhere is very far..

Room Tip: Always try for an upper floor, a better view and no one above you to disturb..
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank travelswithsara
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have just realized that I never reviewed my wonderful stay at the Grotto last March! Now I have booked to return once again with my husband who couldn't join me last time. I travelled alone last year during my break from teaching and never once felt intimidated or unsafe. My room maid, Donna, made sure I had everything I needed. I arrived with a horrible cold which was helped by the great ocean air and an amazing relaxing massage with Fatima! I loved my room with a nice balcony looking over the water. Everything was very clean and the fridge was useful to keep snacks and foods for my picnic lunches. These packed lunches were useful for the long walks I enjoyed each day and helped to save on food costs. The Grotto Bay is ideally situated to explore the beautiful Tom Moore's Jungle area and the Railway Trail. The bus stop at the end of the driveway is convenient for travelling further afield to Hamilton, St George etc. There are so many interesting places to explore in Bermuda and many of them have no admission charges. It pays to do some research before arriving. The short distance from the airport is also an advantage as a taxi to points further away can cost $ 60 or more compared to about $10 to the Grotto Bay. Everyone was very friendly including Wendell who always had a smile and a kind word at the front door! I indulged in the buffet breakfast several times when I was tired of cereal in my room! The selection of foods was exceptional. Jahmeko, the friendly and competent chef at the buffet, cooked omlettes to order and there was a variety of breads, cheeses, fruit, fish etc. Being originally from Ireland, the afternoon tea made me feel quite at home! It is free for guests.
I enjoyed the natural surroundings and the unique caves on the property. The heated pool and hot tub were very inviting on the days when the weather was a little cooler. I did go into the ocean water a couple of times and enjoyed the small beach area. I would recommend this property for those who want a quiet, relaxing place to stay which is reasonably priced. I am so excited to be returning in March to share the wonderful experience with my husband!

Room Tip: I liked the room on the 3rd floor looking over the water but I imagine all the rooms have a nice vie...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank lovetotravel876
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Loved the setting, heated pool, each, room with great view and the cave. However not a fan of the Wifi policy, it's very expensive. Every other (mostly much cheaper) hotel i have stayed in provides free Wifi these days. Also, my room had a very noisy ice machine outside the door.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank claude998
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Claude 998,

I wish to thank you for you kind comments and also inform you that we will soon be offering free WiFi to all our guests. We are currently working on final details and hope to roll out free WiFi really soon.

Regards,

JP Martens

Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel/resort is quite close to the airport with several of the Bermudan attractions not far away: the Crystal Caves, beginning of the Railway Trail, St Georges, and the Aquarium and Zoo. Hamilton is just less than half an hour on the fastest buses (10 and 11). It's a further hour by bus or 20 mins by ferry from Hamilton to the other end of the islands.

The hotel has its own small beach (no surf), a heated pool, a hot tub, and the opportunity to swim in a natural limestone cave. John Smiths is the nearest real beach
We were there in January. Many of the December reviews were quite positive, so perhaps the first-string staff were taking a break, but:
- the in-room coffee maker has a circular basket but only square coffee bags are provided, and they are too small -- so making your own coffee doesn't work. (The staff are also hazy about the difference between caf and decaf)
- the walls are paper thin so you will hear all of the bodily functions of your neighbors in every direction, and so of course their conversations and tv programs. If you want to sleep, this is not the hotel for you.
- In common with many hotels there isn't enough light to read in the evening
- The drink machine outside our room was empty, but not turned off, all week and so roared away
- The person who filled the linen closet outside our room at 7 every morning sang when he was alone and chattered to his friends when he wasn't
- The advertised fish feeding never happened when we were on the property at the right time
- The towel store is locked up at 4:30 or 5, so if you want to soak in the hot tub when you get back to the hotel, tough!
- The maid came to the door at 9:30 every morning to ask if she should come back later (Yes!)

Several reviews commented that they couldn't hear noise from the airport. It isn't annoying, but when the 777 takes off each evening, you do hear it.

The web site for the Swizzle Inn makes it seem like it's upmarket, but it's not -- the dress code includes "no visible underwear" which places it accurately. Food is slightly more expensive than the mainland. The supermarkets all have take-away hot food which is pretty good and decently priced.

5  Thank FredDeMan
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
#3 of 5 in Paget Parish

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!