“You only get one chance to make a 1st impression.”

Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
New York
“You only get one chance to make a 1st impression.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife, my 2 yr old daughter, and myself stayed at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort during the 1st weekend of May. The only morning flight available was at 7am, which means we had to wake up at 4am, and we arrived at Grotto Bay Resort at 10am. Every hotel I been too all have a 3pm check-in. But, I never had to wait until 3pm to check-in! The people at the first desk didn't seem to care we had to wait for 5 hours for a room. They just said, "check-in is 3pm". What made it worse is the hotel is on a steep hill. So we had to go up and down the very steep steps several times to get items from our luggage. The only "changing room" were the bathrooms by the pool. We eventually got our room at 3:15pm, even though they kept saying, "3pm check-in is guaranteed." From the very beginning we knew we were never going back to Grotto Bay Resort.

Even though we were extremely unhappy with the customer service, we didn't let it spoil our trip. Here our some of my thoughts about the resort:
As stated above, the resort is on a steep hill. Our room was at the top of the hill. The pool/beach is at the bottom. Not fun, especially with a small child.
The lobby and room were average quality/size. We had a nice ocean view.
The air conditioner and refrigerator were loud at night.
The concierge were helpful. They gave us maps, bus schedule, and activities to do.
The pool was small, but heated.
We had breakfast and lunch at the resort. The food was average. We had dinner elsewhere.
The mojitos from the bar were good.
The caves on-site were very cool.
The water was calm and beautiful, but very cold.

We traveled to St George (15 min away), and Hamilton (20 - 30 min away). Both locations were ok. The main attractions were shopping and restaurants.

We also traveled to the aquarium/zoo. This was a nice place to visit with a child.
Our last visit was to the Horseshoe Bay Beach.

Overall, this was an average place to visit. My wife and I prefer Club Med, on an island with warmer water.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mrosen76
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear valued Guest,

Really sorry we were unable to check you in upon arrival at 10:00AM. Unfortunately for you we have been running a full hotel and check out time is not till 11AM. We try to accommodate early arrivals if we have rooms available in requested/reserved room category. If we do not have rooms available changing rooms for both, early and late departing guests are available and so are our facilities.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

From the moment you arrive to departure you are treated as special guests.Nothing is too much trouble and all the staff including the General Manager do everything to make your stay perfect.Our room was well appointed very clean and serviced fully each day.We stayed all inclusive and found the food quality and presentation was to a very high standard.The pool was good and there were always fresh towels to hand.The lagoon is a treat calm and warm with lots of lovely fish swimming around with you( you can also feed them if you wish and staff bring food for them twice a day)There is the most magnificent cave in the grounds where you can swim or just marvel and the spendour of this floodlit place.We went as a couple although there were many families and seniors a really good mix and everyone seemed to enjoy each others company which was lovely.A great place which we are hoping to re-visit very soon.

Room Tip: All rooms face the bay and have either a patio or balcony
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rosemarie E
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have been to Grotto Bay twice and can't wait to go back. The room is okay but the the service, staff, food, scenery, and water are great Some of the staff remembered us. .I recommend the all-inclusive package which includes meals and bus/ferry passes.

Room Tip: the marine shop rents paddle boards, small sailboats, kayaks, and gear to snorkel and there is a lea...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rcwells
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

This is a very friendly hotel and staff were very accommodating and met some requests I made prior to staying. We were on a meal plan (half board) and the standard of food was excellent. The only downside is that the pool is a bit small for the size of the hotel and inconsiderate people put towels out early in the morning even though they don't get to the pool until the afternoon. The rooms are a bit dated and ours had a connecting door which meant we could hear everything the people next door said and did. I asked to move rooms after the people next door had a row at 4am about pets but was told all of the rooms have connecting doors? The view from the room was outstanding - it is worth paying for the upgrade as those rooms are on the top floor. The balcony lovely (although some balconies were filled in which restricted the view). Cleaning was good but toiletries were not refreshed during the week long stay.

Room Tip: Pay extra to stay on the top floor of the block; that way you will get a good view. Rooms lower dow...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bryony A
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I personally wasn't that happy with this place. The trainee front desk-ers were nice. The Hibiscus restaurant was so bad, as the food was incredibly salty. Of course all the food in Bermuda is very expensive but when you literally eat two bites and leave the rest of your meal is saying a lot. They should include one day of complimentary breakfast at least. The room was always damp and had a mildew-y smell to it. The bathroom was very clean though. This resort is ridiculous in terms of charging 15/day for wifi, 5/half an hour. It really should be free. Also, considering this place is so far from the city of hamilton, they really should be courteous and give a free bus pass to those staying there at least for a couple of days. It was also at this time a very older crowd like in there 70s and up. Maybe it is different during the summer. Overall, I will never go back to bermuda, and if for some reason I ever did, will not stay at this place for sure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank QueenRani2
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments since they allow us to improve on our services and amenities. Your comment regarding food being to salty has been shared with our Executive Chef. Regarding WiFi: As of this week we will be offering free "Lite" (checking emails, flights etc. No streaming) despite a cost of approximately $80,000 per year in response to comments like yours. Sorry to hear you will not return to Bermuda nor Grotto Bay, hope you will reconsider and contact me when making your plans since I am sure you will not be disappointed.
Peterborough, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed at this lovely hotel property on April 24-28,2014 (5 nts).

I'm a 63 yr old widow and travelled solo. I felt very safe at the hotel and on the island in general.I was lucky to be able to book a Westjet package on-line and saved several hundred dollars when they had a package sale (otherwise not affordable for me)..

I had a very comfortable oceanview rm (no. 531, in Warwick lodge) which overlooked the extensive grounds,pool,beach and beautiful bay. There are a lot of amenities (watersports,spa, etc.) in this hotel and day trips arranged to various places.There are also "swimming caves".The hotel itself is understated elegance and all the staff were extremely polite and helpful about any questions I had. I had the buffet breakfast (very enjoyable) and dinner (chicken) on the final evening in the Palm Room which had a pleasant atmosphere..There is a nicely decorated grill restaurant right by the beach, where I didn't eat, but people seemed to be having a good time there. Complementary tea and treats are served every afternoon, in the Palm Room and I enjoyed the Manager's rum swizzle party on the Mon. night. It was handy having a refrigerator in my room, to store food and wine. Since bus travel is so convenient in Bermuda, I saw a lot of the island by bus and visited many places (St. Georges, Hamilton,Dockyards,Zoo, Botanical Gdns,Art Galleries and Museums, Horseshoe Bay Beach, other places). I took walking tours of the 2 cities which were fun and educational (I recommend them). Temperatures ranged from 70-74 degrees while I was there.

There are a mixture of older couples, families with children, and "miscellaneous" other people like me staying there. Although I enjoyed it myself, some singles looking for a "party" atmosphere or looking to meet other singles might not find this property the most appropriate place.

A very enjoyable holiday!

Room Tip: I asked for a top floor oceanview room (for the view), close to the dining room and that`s what I go...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Jamaicagardenia
Reading, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just got back from a long weekend (Thursday-Sunday). This was our first time in Bermuda. We stayed at the Grotto Bay as we got a great deal for a short trip just to get away. Our room was located in the "Devonshire" bldg. on the ground level. When we first entered our room we were "wowed" by the beautiful view. We had read on line that the rooms needed to be updated. That was not the case with our room. The rooms were very clean, bed extremely comfortable and appeared as everything was newly painted. This hotel is short ride (5-6 minutes at the very most) from the airport. From the pool we saw a few planes taking off and there was no problem with the planes being too loud. We did not do the meal plan as we thought that was a bit expensive. We did eat at the pool 2 afternoons and ate one dinner at the "casual" restaurant and the food was very good. Two of the nights we ate at the Swizzle Inn which was right up the road. The food was good, but I wouldn't say it was anything to rave about. I would say that the pool is every small. It was fine for this time of the year, but I can imagine it might be a bit crowded in the warmer months, June thru August. Visit the cave on the property and take a dip in the water. It was too cold for me, but my spouse took a swim just to say he swam in the cave. All the staff are extremely friendly and accommodating. If you wish to do sightseeing the bus stop is right in front of the hotel and you can bus passes at the front desk.

Room Tip: While we did have a good view on the lower level of the Devonshire bldg., the 2nd or third levels wo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,040 reviews
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
#3 of 6 in Paget Parish

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!