“Awesome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamilton Parish
Brooklyn, New York
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

This place was soooooo relaxing and the staff was extremely friendly. Can't wait to go back. The caves that are on the resort are majestic and the amenities like snorkeling and kayaking are great as well. The dining was decent and the hotel is five minutes from the airport. Also, a short bus ride from all of the major attractions the island has to offer. The rooms are beautiful as well. I can't say enough about this place.

2 Thank gfilip19
3413jpm, Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 August 2016
Dear gfilip19,

Thank you for staying with us at Grotto Bay Beach Resort and taking the time to post about your experience.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time and can not wait to return.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Grotto Bay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
North York Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2016

Pros: great weather, clear water. A cool cave to admire for about 3mins. Cons: depleted beach towels upon arrival, received a room with a broken water pipe, slept the night to high pitch hissing of such broken pipe, no shower for 2 days, water shut off 1/2 day to fix problem, "sorry, nothing we can do", was the respond. Bedside lamps did not work, beds are small. Vending machines are empty but turned on. No towels in gym, no mirrors and very very small with a strong smell of rubber, weird! Get up early to get a spot on the beach. Beach is very small, buffets are $80/per person, the final straw to decide to leave this hotel was getting kicked off a portion of the beach at 4:45pm so the restaurant crew could prepare for dinner, (fine, I get it), but then saying " good luck finding another spot" on the main beach. We are cutting our loses and leaving today for another hotel. You should never have to "survive" a holiday or come for extra stress, even my 12yr & 13yr olds were asking to go home. This hotel is too large with amenities too small. (I'm certain they knew about the water pipe issue and still filled the rooms. They needed to acknowledge this uncontrollable issue and offer a move of another room even off the property), but now this hotel is in a win win situation as we are forfeiting our remaining 3nts and they get to rebook and recharge. I'm tired of being told "there is nothing we can do, my apologies! There is always something to be done if you chose to do it!

2 Thank Denise A
3413jpm, General Manager at Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 August 2016
Dear Denise A.,

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences caused you as well as for not living up to the usual standards we provide to our guests as indicated in other TripAdvisor postings. I have checked with our Chief Engineer and he nor myself are aware of any room not having a shower for two days. In addition, the only broken water pipe we are aware of was an underground water pipe supplying 16 rooms. This issue was dealt with in 2.5 hours during what we believe was the least inconveniencing time to our guests.
We work hard to please our guests and I wish you had shared your disappointments with me whilst at resort since I would have done everything in my power to ensure you a well deserved great and relaxing vacation.

JP Martens
Beachwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2016

It is a very close ride from the airport, so once you clear immigration your vacation starts instantly. You hear little to no noise from the airport while at the resort. We stayed in an Ocean Front Deluxe Room in the 400 building 3rd floor. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The view from the balcony was breathtaking. We did the all-inclusive package and were not disappointed. The food was very good with a nice variety of choices. The bartenders were very polite and were quick to fill our drink orders. We kayaked and paddle boarded, which is also included in the all-inclusive package. We highly recommend the couples massage(not included in the all-inclusive package) in the on site cave. It was superb. I have no complaints about this resort. The staff was excellent and very friendly. I highly recommend visiting/staying here. We will definitely be returning.

Tip: Visit the concierge and book a Jetski Tour of the Island with Max in St George's at the White Horse Inn.

1 Thank AndyCigar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2016

I usually never write reviews, however many of the reviews I read was so helpful I thought it might be helpful to others to share about our stay.

*Ocean front room = closer to the water, further from the main lobby/restaurants. Will need to walk down a set of stairs to get to room, and back up to the lobby. (We did ocean front room, the stairs were not an issue at all for us, and I never exercise. The view was excellent)
*Ocean view room = further from the water, sits on top of a hill, close to lobby. I would assume the view of the water would be more obstructed.

I would def recommend ocean front room, however you might get unlucky and get a view of the bridge or airport.

The room was clean, bed was comfortable. Ac worked well except it would rattle every once in awhile. Walls were very thin. We could hear our neighbor conversations very clearly, which wasn't a big issue. But it would be nice to be able to sleep in a little longer and not be woken up so early by the sounds of children staying to our left and the couple arguing on our right side.

NO MOSQUITOS! I still brought insect repellent just in case, and it was not needed. I am a mosquito magnet and I never got a single bug bite.

We ate at the Hibiscus room twice. VERY delicious. We did not do the all inclusive plan, which was perfect for us so we could try food outside of the resort.

The resort has its own cave available for exploring and swimming. If you plan on exploring the cave bring a light source, it was very dark and we used the flashlights on our phones to light our way.

Fish feeding was also very entertaining, the fish almost jump out of the water for food. The private beach/bay is very small, but still beautiful. Basically no waves, calm water.

Very close walk to a bus stop, swizzle inn, baileys ice cream, and crystal caves.

After exploring Hamilton, personally I much rather stay at the Grotto Bay than the other resorts as it seems to be a lot more crowded and hectic. If you like the laid back vibe and like to avoid super touristy places I would recommend staying here.

The only reason I didnt give this place a 5 star rating was because of the thin walls. Not only could I hear EVERYTHING, I bet other people heard us very clearly too. (although we were very mindful of it and tried to keep our voices down.

• Stayed August 2016, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michelle M
Dear Michelle M,

Thank you for staying at Grotto Bay Beach Resort.

These reviews are extremely helpful for our visitors and we thank you for posting about your recent stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next vacation.
Old Tappan, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2016

I very rarely write reviews but I felt like I had to regarding Grotto Bay, We have a family of 6. Our childrens ages range from 13 -16. Our family loved this trip! The only complaint from the kids was that while swimming or snorkeling the water was salty. If that is the only complaint we thought that was pretty good! We were expecting our 2 adjoining rooms to be dated as some of the reviews said but our room was much more updated than expected. The beds were so comfortable and the room was very clean! We did the all-inclusive plan and I would recommend it for all families. It was perfect for our family. The servings were very generous and the quality of the food is excellent. We actually felt bad wasting it if we could not finish it! The alcoholic drinks are great! We did learn towards the end that you can ask for "double shots" in your drinks which makes them not as sweet if you are having a cocktail with juice.
As far as the wait service, it was outstanding, especially Liviu, Willie and Raymond. Just so attentive! We attended tea time everyday and loved the pastries. The cave is beautiful. Everyone is so gracious! You cannot help but be happy. We would return to Grotto Bay without a doubt. It was a family vacation never to be forgotten! Thank you for the beautiful memories!

Room Tip: We did call a week before to confirm that we had adjoining rooms and that we would be on the 2nd or...
  • Stayed August 2016, travelled with family
      Location
2 Thank lpbusch
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2016

If you've read through the previous reviews you know that the hotel is close to the airport (not a problem), and that it has a beautiful, somewhat small beach that isn't really ocean, more bay (again, not a problem - in fact it makes for very clear, calm water, and there was always a chair available - although we sometimes had to find someone to put up an umbrella for us). We had a nice view, although it would have been a bit nicer if pointed away from the airport, as most were. The room was a good size for 3 (2 adults, 1 10 year old), and the beds were comfortable. Everyone was friendly and helpful. They have lots of activities if you are in the mood for them - parties, glass bottom boat rides, etc. And if you're not in the mood for them it is easy enough to just sit on the beach or float on a raft and relax. There are waiters who come around to the beach seats and you can order drinks - that was something I hadn't done in a while, and it was heavenly to sit there having a margarita or peach dacquiri and look at the view. The hotel is right on the bus line, and has its own stop, and they sell daily bus passes at the front desk (a good way to get around). The caves are a fun little addition. And it is close to the old train trail, which is great for walking on days you don't feel like lazing. They also have tennis courts and a pro, and my husband and I each got a lesson in during our stay. We did not go with the inclusive meal plan. We like to try different places when we travel. But we did eat there once and were happily surprised by the quality. About a 7 minute walk up the hill is The Swizzle Inn, which is a great place to stop for pub grub. We ate a few meals there. And across from that is an ice cream shop that my husband and daughter loved. It was a relaxing and pretty perfect vacation, and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2016, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank lulusmom
Dear lulusmom,

Thank you for staying at Grotto Bay Beach Resort during your recent visit to Bermuda.
We are extremely happy to hear you had a perfect and relaxing vacation at Grotto Bay Beach Resort.

Thank you for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2016 via mobile

Bermuda is a small island that doesn't have too much to do. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation without lots of adventure this is the perfect place. If you want a resort that offers lots to do then Grotto Bay is the place to stay!

I am so pleased with my stay here, it was exactly what I needed. Grotto bay is located in the St. George part of the island and it's very close to the airport. The customer service is top notch at grotto Bay! They make everything seamless.

The rooms are super clean, and spacious. I had a room on the top floor and the view was breathtaking. They are have chairs and a small table making it the perfect place to have your morning coffee. The hotel provides coffee and a coffee maker! Sleeping in the bed was a dream every night! This place has the most velvety soft sheets I've ever slept on.

There is a small gym for those looking to workout on vacation. The gym has your basic necessities, mats, treadmills and free weights. The food here is also good and well priced for Bermuda! I thought the hotel prices would be very high but it was actually very reasonable.

Now for the fun! This resort offers so much to do that you never actually have to leave the hotel! There is a water activity float in the middle of the ocean, pool and hot tub! The beach is right off of the pool and it is just divine. I will urge you to get a pool chair early other wise they are usually all taken by noon.

My favorite part about staying here was the caves!!! You can pay 180 to go swimming in the caves or you can stay here at Grotto Bay and swim in the caves for free! It was such an amazing and beautiful experience that you won't get anywhere else on the island!

I would absolutely stay here again! Thank you to everyone at the hotel for making this such a wonderful experience.

Stayed August 2016, travelled solo
Pompano Beach Club
Pompano Beach Club
#1 of 3 in Southampton Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,347 reviews

Been to Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!