“Peaceful”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sandys Parish
Albany, New York
“Peaceful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

We just got back from 4 days at Cambridge. We have been to Bermuda before, but have never stayed here. It's really a wonderful spot. I read the reviews and was thinking we might not be 100% happy, but that was not the case. it's fabulous! Great room - clean, fresh. Housekeeping was available, but not underfoot. Linens & towels are high quality. Breakfast was terrific, and included. Lunch at the beach is really good, with unique menu choices. Staff was completely accommodating, without exception. We had a questionable item on our bill at checkout, and they took it right off - no problem. Nice gym. We did not use the pool since the beach was so nice, but it looks great.

If I had to find room for imporvement, these are the things I would suggest:
1 - Towels at the beach ran out frequently. they were replenished, but it took a while and I had to ask.
2 - The hotel does not offer a shuttle, or any transport to/from the airport other than a taxi. taxi is $50+ each way - Sundays are more. I know that other hotels in the area do offer some transportation, so you might want to keep this in mind.
3 - The dinner in the restaurant was only mediocre. Service was really great, but the food was just OK. Nothing special at all, and only 5 choices for an entree. We ordered an "inexpensive" bottle of wine and our bill was $180 for 2 of us. Neither of us finished our meal. I would not balk at the bill if the food was amazing. It wasn't. We did not eat there again, but chose to go elsewhere.

Overall, it was really a wonderful trip and we would go again. The 3 things I mention in no way diminished the great visit we had at Cambridge. Just for consideration.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BoomsMom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Concord, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

Cambridge Beaches is delightful old cottage style hotel way out in the end of Somerset parish. It is an hour from the airport in Georgetown. The cottages are old and a bit tired but give you a lot of space. The service was excellent and the people that work there could not have been any more pleasant. My largest complaint was the beds. It is just a mattress on a board. Horseshoe Bay is my favorite beach but it is a $30+ taxi ride there from CB. There were about 40 people there and not much going on. If you want silence and tranquility--this is your place. Turtle Cove beach was our favorite on the property. The beaches are not swim-able--I don't know if anyone mentioned that in other reviews. No nightlife --went to bed early and slept late. Breakfast doesn't start until 8am.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank jennyd16
Lincoln, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

I stayed here for two nights with my boyfriend in a gorgeous villa with its own very private pool! This property is magical! 30 acres of beaches, gardens (even has a labyrinth), tennis courts, pools, a spa, putting green, croquet court - you name it! What we loved most was sunbathing nude (in our villa, but they also have a nude sunbathing deck for those brave enough ;). Highly recommended!!

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank amandastason
Woodbridge, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

I must say, I am really disappointed. I really researched this trip as I was looking for a quick get-away. Wanted a nice place to relax. I took comfort in reading the management's responses to unhappy travelers since it indicated their goal of ensuring customer satisfaction.

First, the couch and the chair in my room were soiled. I did let the front desk know and was told housekeeping would tend to the issue. When I returned to the room later in the day, the couch and chair were still soiled. Thus, we used the towels in the room as covers for the couch and chair. NO ONE ever called to see if our issue had been addressed/resolved. Maybe I should have called the front desk back, but I didn't feel like spending time on the phone or at the front desk while I was there to relax. For the price, someone should have been calling me back. Carefully picked my battles.

Second, this was to be a relaxing vacation. However, was awakened each morning by a knock on the door. Totally disregarding the "Do Not Disturb" indicator on the door. It was housekeeping. Regardless of the reason for the knock, do not disturb means just that.

Third, the spa left a lot to be desired. We had the couples massage. Despite the fact that we received the same massage, we definitely received two different treatments. I opened my eyes to see an ice pack (or something) on my finace's eyes. I never got that. He had his temples massaged, not mine. Otherwise, the massage felt more like a rub and I felt the same going out as I did going in. Not one of my best experiences. It was my fiance's first massage and he simply asked why do I pay for this.

Not every room has a flat screen, which seems to be standard now in some three star hotels. On certain channels, we could only hear every other word. Didn't complain because, I didn't mind turning it off. But felt it should be mentioned.

At the end of the day, the staff was friendly and the grounds were decent. Just wasn't a good experience for me.

6 Thank TLG11
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

This is an update of my February 2008 review. We returned to Cambridge Beaches for the third time in four years last week, and had a wonderful vacation. This is not your typical Caribbean, beach-and-drinking vacation, although I guess it could be in the summer. We prefer off-season in Bermuda. It is a great value and warm enough weather (65-70 daily high temp) to do everything except swim in the ocean. I was out relaxing at the pool or beach every day.

The cottages are beautiful. We have stayed on a different part of the property each time, and found the rooms unique in decor and view, but all wonderful. Service is exceptionally friendly, but not quite at the standard of the very top hotels and cruise ships we have experienced. The location can pose a bit of a challenge if you are looking for a very active vacation. Visiting most of the major towns and tourist attractions requires an expensive taxi ride or a 1/2 mile walk into town to use the reliable Bermuda Bus system. We personally like the out-of-the-way location, however. The property is huge and great for exploring. There are also walking trails, a nature preserve, and the quaint town of Somerset all within easy walking distance.

The food is somewhat of a disappointment. Breakfast in the Tamarisk Dining Room (included in all room rates) featured an expansive but uninspired buffet that was exactly the same every day. We had lunch at the poolside Shutters Cafe a couple of times and it was quite good. Afternoon Tea service is also included in all room rates. It is acceptable but they seem to have eliminated the homemade scones that were a favorite on our past trips; we heard others comment on this as well. And while dinner in the Tamarisk Dining Room gets very good reviews from most Bermuda tourism sights, we found the menu limited and the food just ok. Most nights we walked into Somerset for dinner where there are two very good and reasonably-priced casual restaurants (Salt Rock Cafe and Somerset Country Squire) where you can chat with the locals and get a much better flavor for real life in Bermuda.

I have read plenty of reviews from couples spending their honeymoon at Cambridge Beaches, but the crowd definitely feels older - at least this time of year. We have seen mostly couples with the occasional extended family or "girlfriend" group, and an average age of 40-70. There are always a number of same-sex couples as well, so anyone should feel perfectly comfortable here.

We love Bermuda and Cambridge Beaches for the sunny but temperate climate in winter/spring, the beauty of the property and Bermuda as a whole. Bermuda is a relatively expensive place to visit, but the value in the off-season for such a wonderful property has always appealed to us. We always leave refreshed and eagerly anticipating our next trip!

3 Thank robbomac
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

Our trip to Bermuda was a dream, and the staff and grounds at Cambridge Beaches helped make that dream come true. Everyone was polite, pleasant, and helpful, especially in the Tamarisk Restaurant. I have many food allergies and was resigned to skipping dinner. The restaurant staff, Upul in particular, were committed to making a special meal catering to my dietary needs.
We were there off season, so it was rather quiet (which actually was perfect), but the staff was all the more vigilant, and every turn around every corner still managed to present a perfect picture. The resort was nothing short of perfect, and our trip was made so by their fantastic staff.
We've already begun to plan our next trip...

3 Thank ASEH_10
Reading, Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

Spent a week at Cambridge Beaches departing 22nd February 2011. 5* food, 5* service and 5* friendliness from all the staff go with a ‘5*’ location, a superb resort setting with stunning views on a beautiful island. Lovely colonial feel to the place enhanced by the afternoon teas ! Full marks to Richard and his team from us. Recent $$$ has made the outdoor pool / decking area into a welcoming and sheltered relaxation area which despite its newness, bolts onto and blends with the colonial style buildings. Our recommendation ... take the rate inclusive of evening meals (fine quality, variety and value in comparison with costs of meals in outside restaurants).

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,039 reviews

Been to Cambridge Beaches? Share your experiences!