“Stunning location with old world charm” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cambridge Beaches

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Cambridge Beaches
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sandys Parish
Birmingham, UK
“Stunning location with old world charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

Spent a delightful 10 days here over Easter and the May Day bank holiday and would certainly recommend this hotel. Consisting of bungalows (or cottages) scattered around a very picturesque peninsula the hotel is unhurried and quiet allowing you to feel like you have got away from it whilst having the facilities of a hotel on hand. Both the main building and the rooms blend Bermudian architecture with quaint English decor.

Check in was easy and short. We were welcomed with the local drink before being taken to our room on a golf cart definitly starting us off with the right impression. Our room was very spacious with loads of storage space, a nice sitting area and our own garden terrace with an outstanding view over Long Bay. This view could also be enjoyed from the sitting area and the bed so we were very happy. The room was of a good standard and in decent condition. The facilities were as stated although I was surprised there was only a coffee maker - considering the English influence tea wasn't an option.

There are plenty of things to do there: minigolf, croquet, tennis, watersports hire, cycle and moped hire all on site. Plus the spa offers a good range of treatments and there is an indoor pool and jacuzzi and an adjoining gym. None of the facilities were ever busy although I think it was still early in the season. There is an outdoor pool although it is not large and is sold as an infinity pool. Personally I think his recent development was slightly misjudged as it feels out of character. The development extends along the front of the main building overlooking Mangrove Bay and has encroached onto the small beach. It's possible this is needed to give more capacity in the summer for outside dining but remains slightly out of place.

The food was always very good and we treated ouselves to the Easter Sunday buffet at the Tamarisk restaurant. We were on the breakfast plan and so also had breakfast here each morning which offered a good selection. Confusingly on some days an omelette station was available whilst on others this was not out front but could be requested. As this wasn't always explained you could miss out if you didn't know. Afternoon tea is also available to all guests featuring sandwiches, a variety of cakes (including scones) and a wide range of teas. This was always a very civilised (but informal) affair held in the bar.
We also ate at Breezes which is next to the beach on Long Bay and highly recommended, and were very pleasantly surprised when we decided to get lunch at Shutters one day and they offered to bring it to the secluded beach on which we had been sitting which was a very nice treat.

Service in general was very good especially the catering and waiting staff at the various restauants and bars. The housekeeping staff were similarly friendly although my wife felt the cleaning (especially of the bathroom) could have been more thorough and I was a bit annoyed that I had to keep asking to have the coffee and creamers refreshed as this only happened intermittently.

Regarding the location I would say that the actual property sits on a beautiful peninsula, with delightful grounds and four varied but stunning beaches. It is a five to ten minute walk into Somerset Village where there are two restaurants, a pharmacy and the bus stops. If you turn right instead of left towards the village when you leave the hotel then about ten mins walk away is a decent supermarket. The buses are good and it is a short ride to Dockyard where you can get ferries to Hamilton or St Georges. Alernatively taxis are often at the resort or can be easily called.

Overall I would recommend the hotel as a lovely getaway in beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank HeartoftheCountry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

My wife and I just completed an anniversary vacation at Cambridge Beaches and we wanted to share with you that we had a terrific time. The staff at the resort were all phenomenal and the resort itself was terrific. We will definitely return in the future and I have already made several recommendations. I want to call out a few of theirstaff for special compliments:

1. Mr. Koo at the Port of Call: he understands client service at a very special level.
2. Kam; I dont' have his full name, but he is a server that we had for dinner on two different evenings, once at the Breezes and at the Tamarisk. Not only was his service excellent his level of engagement with us to assure all was done well was exceptional
3. The gentleman who works overnight security: on the morning we were to leave we had reservations to meet our shuttle service – Bermuda Triangle Tours (a service I would not recommend) at 6am to catch our flight. By 6:30 they had not shown. One of Cambridge's early morning employees was coming into work so I asked if he could help. He immediately jumped intoimmediately located a local taxi driver to come and get us. The taxi arrived within 15 minutes. This extra effort made it possible for us to make our flight and result in what could have been a bad ending to a great trip turning into an very good ending.

I have stayed in many resorts over the years and Cambridge level of customer care exceeded them all – even those with much higher price tags!

They helped make our our 40th wedding anniversary very special.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BermudaJerry
nh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2011

My husband and I just returned from a four day stay at Cambridge Beaches. It was our 25th wedding anniversary-we had last been there 25 years ago. While the weather was chilly and rainy, we had a wonderful time. This is such a beautiful place. I just liked looking out at the ocean, admiring the trees, birds, gardens, turtles. I wouldn't say this would be a place for people who want to party as it is remote - but what a great place to spend with your spouse or family. The memories will last another 25 years.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nhhomebody
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

We just got back from 4 days at Cambridge. We have been to Bermuda before, but have never stayed here. It's really a wonderful spot. I read the reviews and was thinking we might not be 100% happy, but that was not the case. it's fabulous! Great room - clean, fresh. Housekeeping was available, but not underfoot. Linens & towels are high quality. Breakfast was terrific, and included. Lunch at the beach is really good, with unique menu choices. Staff was completely accommodating, without exception. We had a questionable item on our bill at checkout, and they took it right off - no problem. Nice gym. We did not use the pool since the beach was so nice, but it looks great.

If I had to find room for imporvement, these are the things I would suggest:
1 - Towels at the beach ran out frequently. they were replenished, but it took a while and I had to ask.
2 - The hotel does not offer a shuttle, or any transport to/from the airport other than a taxi. taxi is $50+ each way - Sundays are more. I know that other hotels in the area do offer some transportation, so you might want to keep this in mind.
3 - The dinner in the restaurant was only mediocre. Service was really great, but the food was just OK. Nothing special at all, and only 5 choices for an entree. We ordered an "inexpensive" bottle of wine and our bill was $180 for 2 of us. Neither of us finished our meal. I would not balk at the bill if the food was amazing. It wasn't. We did not eat there again, but chose to go elsewhere.

Overall, it was really a wonderful trip and we would go again. The 3 things I mention in no way diminished the great visit we had at Cambridge. Just for consideration.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BoomsMom
Concord, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

Cambridge Beaches is delightful old cottage style hotel way out in the end of Somerset parish. It is an hour from the airport in Georgetown. The cottages are old and a bit tired but give you a lot of space. The service was excellent and the people that work there could not have been any more pleasant. My largest complaint was the beds. It is just a mattress on a board. Horseshoe Bay is my favorite beach but it is a $30+ taxi ride there from CB. There were about 40 people there and not much going on. If you want silence and tranquility--this is your place. Turtle Cove beach was our favorite on the property. The beaches are not swim-able--I don't know if anyone mentioned that in other reviews. No nightlife --went to bed early and slept late. Breakfast doesn't start until 8am.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank jennyd16
Lincoln, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

I stayed here for two nights with my boyfriend in a gorgeous villa with its own very private pool! This property is magical! 30 acres of beaches, gardens (even has a labyrinth), tennis courts, pools, a spa, putting green, croquet court - you name it! What we loved most was sunbathing nude (in our villa, but they also have a nude sunbathing deck for those brave enough ;). Highly recommended!!

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank amandastason
Woodbridge, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

I must say, I am really disappointed. I really researched this trip as I was looking for a quick get-away. Wanted a nice place to relax. I took comfort in reading the management's responses to unhappy travelers since it indicated their goal of ensuring customer satisfaction.

First, the couch and the chair in my room were soiled. I did let the front desk know and was told housekeeping would tend to the issue. When I returned to the room later in the day, the couch and chair were still soiled. Thus, we used the towels in the room as covers for the couch and chair. NO ONE ever called to see if our issue had been addressed/resolved. Maybe I should have called the front desk back, but I didn't feel like spending time on the phone or at the front desk while I was there to relax. For the price, someone should have been calling me back. Carefully picked my battles.

Second, this was to be a relaxing vacation. However, was awakened each morning by a knock on the door. Totally disregarding the "Do Not Disturb" indicator on the door. It was housekeeping. Regardless of the reason for the knock, do not disturb means just that.

Third, the spa left a lot to be desired. We had the couples massage. Despite the fact that we received the same massage, we definitely received two different treatments. I opened my eyes to see an ice pack (or something) on my finace's eyes. I never got that. He had his temples massaged, not mine. Otherwise, the massage felt more like a rub and I felt the same going out as I did going in. Not one of my best experiences. It was my fiance's first massage and he simply asked why do I pay for this.

Not every room has a flat screen, which seems to be standard now in some three star hotels. On certain channels, we could only hear every other word. Didn't complain because, I didn't mind turning it off. But felt it should be mentioned.

At the end of the day, the staff was friendly and the grounds were decent. Just wasn't a good experience for me.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,024 reviews

Been to Cambridge Beaches? Share your experiences!