“Beautiful Resort”
Review of Cambridge Beaches

Cambridge Beaches
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sandys Parish
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was our second trip to Bermuda, and our first to Cambridge Beaches. Bermuda is as wonderful an island as we remembered, and our stay at Cambridge Beaches was a great experience. We had an oceanfront suite with a terrific view of the sunsets, and the room overall was very nice, if a bit dated. Service was prompt and attentive, especially at the beach, where the mango daiquiris were among the best we've had. The beaches were beautiful, although a bit small. Long Bay Beach is the best by far, but it gets quite sunny in the afternoon. The beach below the pool is very small but provides a respite from the sun in the late afternoon. If you're going purely for the beaches, this might not be the place for you, but if you want a quiet, private, no-kids stay, Cambridge Beaches is a great choice. Overall the restaurants were quite good, if not necessarily memorable. We used the resort shuttle to go to and from the dockyards, where we had an enjoyable afternoon and also caught the ferry to Hamilton. We were not bothered by the remote location of CB, as cabs were plentiful and it was easy to get where we wanted to go. Considering what a rental car would have cost (you can only rent mopeds in Bermuda - no private cars for tourists) we probably didn't spend that much more. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,159)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Well I guess any review of a Bermuda Hotel should start with some thoughts on the island itself. So first Know that I am a mid 50's American with asthma and some physical issues although I do like to walk. I have been to the fo lowing islands: Barbados, Dominican Republic, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Kitts and St. Bart's, Dominica and now Bermuda. I live in the NYC area. My first criteria for any Caribbean trip would be weather. Nobody want's to plan and work for an annual vacation to the tropics and sit in your hotel room waiting for the rain to stop which can really louse up your trip. Secondly what is all this going to cost you? If you stay at an all inclusive are you going to be content staying put at your hotel? Finally does the island suit your lifestyle?
.l
For me I found Bermuda very convenient,very pretty, oppressively humid,way too hilly and very pricey. The beaches are beautiful and the water was delightful but I can see some serious drawbacks for seniors and certainly for the disabled. So bear this in mind. And we did experience a moderate amount of rain but not enough to spoil our trip.

Cambridge Beaches was a mixed bag. The hotel staff were generally very nice and they responded appropriately and timely to any issue brought to their attention. But therein lies their big problem, they are more reactive than pro-active. They quickly fixed the broken screen door to our patio and the broken top lock on our room door. They cleaned the filthy hallway when they were told about it as well as apologizing for leaving a pile of dirty mats in a corner of our "made up" room. But why aren't they checking these things up front? I have travelled a lot and I can almost always find some little problem in any place I stay, I expect it. But when issues keep mounting up no matter what management does to resolve them, you start to get fed up and annoyed. This is an expensive hotel, I would never haggle with a resort over their rates, but I do expect them to have their act together. They did not and that is not acceptable to me.

The other issue here is getting around the resort. Depending upon where your room is, expect some steep hills and stairs in getting around the resort. If you don't mind calling and waiting for staff to pick you up in a golf cart to get around, then it should be no problem. Otherwise expect very hilly walks in sweltering humidity to get around the hotel. Absolutely not a place for the disabled or elderly with limited mobility.

The food in the restaurants was usually pretty good but I found the service at the more casual "Breezes" to be far better than the more formal "Tamarisk" restaurants and the menu was was decent too. I would recommend the BBQ night at Tamarisk which had a huge selection.

The beach was very nice albeit a bit on the small side. Most days you did not have to fight for beach chairs or get there at 7:00 AM to reserve a space.

And finally this hotel is quite isolated, as pointed out in other reviews. You are pretty much stuck here unless you want to shell out a lot of money on taxis. And there does not appear to be much of a nightlife at the hotel or on Bermuda in General, so if that is important to you think about going
elsewhere.

So to be fair Bermuda and Cambridge Beaches wS a mixed bag for me. It had some enjoyable moments and some not so thrilling experiences. Personally I would not return to Bermuda or Cambridge Beaches. I found Barbados much more to my liking.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank smlivingston
Cambridge-Management, General Manager at Cambridge Beaches, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

We are a resort situated on a 30 acre peninsula, surrounded by water and the month of July the temperatures are in the 80s and the humidity can get quite high in Bermuda. If one is looking for less humid conditions, visiting in September and October is terrific. Our property is hilly and we are not handicapped accessible. We do have on request shuttle service from our guest ambassadors and offer complimentary shuttle service to the Dockyard ferry. If one has trouble walking please contact the resort directly as we can make sure you are in a cottage that is closer to the main house and shuttle service.

SMLivingston, your feedback was shared with our team and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Sincerely
Clarence Hofheins

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed in one of the Ocean View Deluxe rooms, and had a fabulous time. I think all of the rooms must have a great view, because the property itself is on a small penninsula, and is surrounded by the water. Our cottage was very close to the largest of the beaches on the property, an excellent swimming, wading, and sunbathing beach. At night, the Breezes restaurant set up tables on the beach (as well as in the open air restaurant)-very lovely, romantic, yet laid back. Almost all of the rooms are semi-attached cottages, very private! The service was incredible at the beach, restaurant, Marina, front desk, everywhere. The breakfast was very complete and delicious. We snorkeled off the beach, which was just nice, we saw parrotfish, sergeant majors, and other reef fish. Several times we saw turtles right off the beach, large turtles about 4 feet across, which was amazingly cool. If you are looking for privacy, a romantic time, and a very laid back beach experience, where it's just you, the beach, excellent food, and someone bringing you drinks if you so wish it, this is the place for you. If you want a night life scene, then this is not it. We loved every moment of our vacation at Cambridge Beach.

Room Tip: The Daniels Head and Long Beach cottages (Ocean View) are recently renovated, but I don't think...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Absolutely perfect location for those looking for a quiet spot with great amenities. It would put the service at Cambridge Beaches in the top 5 of any resort or destination I've ever stayed at. The concierge was not only responsive, but proactive. They made it easy to setup whatever we wanted. Stefan down at the marina was an awesome jet ski guide. Pool and beaches were quiet and clean and the food is very good. The dinner on the beach was unique and highly recommended despite the price. Can't say enough good things about our stay and look forward to returning!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EZ66
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The perfect place to relax in elegance! The food is delicious, the views are impressive and the service is superb! If you are looking for a quiet place to get away from it all, Cambridge Beaches is for you!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Mishorry
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a hotel which has left us with mixed feelings.

There are several excellent points:

The views from all parts of the resort were truly stunning including the view from our room.

The peace and quiet- the resort was tranquil and very relaxing.

The size of the room (deluxe ocean view) was good with a separate seating area. Good large comfortable bed if a little beaten up around the frame.

Good coffee machine with complimentary coffee- no bottled water, though.

The grounds were well maintained with the flowers dotted around the resort looked beautiful.

Breezes at lunch time was enjoyable- I would recommend the Long Bay Salad with jackfruit.

Loved the floating platforms in the beautifully calm and shallow waters of Long Bay.

Nice pool area with plenty of shade and sun beds.

Beautiful marina area with lots of fish and calm water.

The tennis courts looked to be in very good condition, though we did not use them.

The putting green was a bit of extra fun.

Service was a mixed bag, see below but on the positive, Florenta was really helpful booking our restaurant and transport. Beach service was good. Khoo at the Port o Call was smashing.

Tamarisk is a little bit "old school" for us for more than one night, but the food was enjoyable and service pretty good.

Breakfast which I think is often thrown in can be delivered to your room for $15- worth doing in my view. The omelette arrived hot which is the test and wisely there is a toaster in your room to do your own toast.

There are however some negatives :

The ants in our room every day would appear around the bath, the bedroom, sink and coffee machine area and we would find lots dead as well as alive. The hotel knows this is an issue- I just hate ants and found it off-putting.

The service was a real mixed bag as referred to above.

I did not like our bags being left in the sun outside for hours whilst we waited for our room.

There was little information provided about anything, more just giving you a crib sheet at the start of the holiday. A few examples: We tried to book a Friday sunset sail detailed on the crib sheet on the Thursday, and were told this depended on others signing up, I chased this up on Friday morning to be told a voicemail was left to confirm the numbers did not come up, no alternative suggestions.... no voicemail on the phone, so I am not sure what happened there it was disappointing. I generally got the impression we should know how things worked for example, what time you could get a drink and a bite and where- possibly because there are many regulars. A pool bar we would just assume is open at pretty much all times. Similarly obtaining a full explanation as to how "Polly" works (the guide says for late check out ring and ask about Polly) I did that and there was a bit of a painful silence rather than "yes let me explain"- I think fuller information in the room would be a great idea here. In the end, my husband rang and rather still in the dark at reception I asked where it was and how we would get in at which point a key was given to us. It worked fine in the end, though and was a good service. A two bathroom suite which you share with other couples- in our case just one couple which worked well - a 4pm shower fresh from the beach with a 5pm cab pick up. The only downside being that other guests have access to your luggage, which may worry some people.

My husband on our first day went to the pool bar from the pool and asked if it was ok to order a drink without his shirt on and sit at the bar knowing that this may be required and not wishing to offend- (note this was not at a table ), he was told "yes, no problem" but the next day was asked to put a shirt on, which he did but we felt we had to point out the conversation yesterday. We felt that this sort of thing should be consistent - we just wanted to know where we were on this. Again by the pool, we asked for a drinks list, it never came so fifteen minutes later we went up to the bar (no shirt!) and ordered our bottle of champagne on our anniversary from the other bartender rather than the chap who was standing around at the bar having not come back. No apology for the oversight. As in most places in Bermuda there is a compulsory 17% gratuity so when the service is not there it is a little annoying. That being said it was served to us very nicely and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Breezes at nighttime we felt was weak. The menu tries to be a little too clever. Perhaps expectations are different for the evening meal. There seemed to be problem with seating everyone, perhaps because it really was breezy! The service felt chaotic be it extremely friendly.

The housekeeping we felt were too quick to enter your room- one knock and they are in before you can jump up.

The room was a refurbished one, but the glazed door was old with a rusty lock which we could not master initially. Someone had to come to the room to show us the knack, which only one of us ever got the hang of. The furniture on our balcony was that old fashioned slatted stuff, though I notice some other units had more modern glazed doors and outdoor furniture. The bathroom was very basic, bath with shower mixer and curtain. I would have liked shower gel as well as soap. Basic Gilchrest and Soames toiletries. One sink. The room and seating was also basic but functional. No wardrobe door.

No water provided on turndown- about $3 to buy from the shop or $7 by the pool!

Wifi was patchy and nothing on Sunday.

The hotel is very much out of the way, a good cab ride at $25-$35 each way to restaurants you may wish to go to, which could be an issue if you wanted to experience other places as we like to do, but to be fair to Tamarisk we certainly noticed the menu changed daily. We asked for the taxi to come to our room, and were told this would be requested (due to shoe choice). When it was late my husband walked up to reception whilst I waited in the room, he came back with the driver who said he was not made aware of our request and was just waiting for us at reception.

Cab to airport about $75 but we expected this.

All in all mixed feelings. The hotel is quite pricey and we both felt there was room for improvement- I am afraid the ants reduced the overall experience to three rather than four stars.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank holidaygal2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review. The experiences you described are not characteristic of the level of service our colleagues strive to provide and are known for, and we apologize your stay was unsatisfactory. We are pleased that you found our resort very tranquil and peaceful and you enjoyed our great beaches! Your feedback was shared with our team and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Sincerely
Clarence Hofheins

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Beautiful rooms, gorgeous grounds, spectacular beaches. We couldn't have enjoyed our stay more. The phone didn't work in our first room, and we were upgraded to a breathtaking larger room that I will never forget... like what you'd see in a magazine. The staff is so friendly, they will make you their family. You will not be disappointed.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
Pompano Beach Club
Pompano Beach Club
#1 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Cambridge Beaches? Share your experiences!